• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I see the liquor stores' argument. Their beef is that they are prohibited from selling cold food items and juices that would go with the liquor. If sales are permitted on Sunday, the big supermarkets will get the people who want to buy other items for parties and such and the liquor stores will have slow business but the same expense. Just make a single license (instead of apothecary and package liquor) and let everyone sell whatever they want as far as victuals and provisions. Level the playing field and let us drink all week.
    :yesway:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I see the liquor stores' argument. Their beef is that they are prohibited from selling cold food items and juices that would go with the liquor. If sales are permitted on Sunday, the big supermarkets will get the people who want to buy other items for parties and such and the liquor stores will have slow business but the same expense. Just make a single license (instead of apothecary and package liquor) and let everyone sell whatever they want as far as victuals and provisions. Level the playing field and let us drink all week.

Restrict freedom here, causing a restriction of freedom there, causing another restriction of freedom somewhere else.

All in the hopes it will balance out, which it probably did through natural market forces before they first starting putting their finger on the scale.

You've got the right plan - take all the fingers off all the scales and let's see how that works.

Grocery stores can sell liqour and liquor stores can sell food. Wow, crazy talk. Store owners get to stock their stores with products people want, and people have more selection and convenience when they go shopping. Crazy, radical solution. Freedom - nah, it could never work.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I don't think I've been in a liquor store since I moved here to Indiana 20+ years ago, so it never occurred to me that you couldn't buy food items in one. My dad's favorite bar/lounge/liquor store in Riverdale (suburb of Chicago) had frozen foods, ice cream, all sorts of stuff. Of course, the local Jewel Food Store didn't have much liquor, as I recall...

steepo17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    NE Indpls
    Another Level

I believe there is another level of resistance involved on the side of the liquor store owners and it has a powerful lobby. Don't forget the distributors that are pulling the strings. They don't want to go head to head with national chains because they will lose their grasp on controlling prices within their market. I think it would be the beginning of the end of territory licensing for distributors. Look how company's like Monarch fought internet (and local) wine sales into Indiana that bypassed distributors and went direct to retailers. ( Hoosier wineries, wholesalers locked in legal, legislative battle » Local & Bistate » News From Terre Haute, Indiana )

Talk about a monopoly.......

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sunday liquor sales would be good... This would be... :rockwoot:

drivethru.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Don't drink so don't really have a need for Sunday sales but believe in this 24/7/365 world you oughta be able to buy it on Sundays. It only seems fair if you have to work on Sundays.....

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    It has never been an inconvenience to me. I am smart enough to keep my adult beverages stocked up so I don't get the DTs on Sunday.

As to the disadvantage of small box stores versus the huge retailers, the last time this came up (I think this has been picked a part several times in my memory) someone gave a very detailed explanation of how the mom & pops are already at a disadvantage due to statute.

I think us old people sometimes are a big nostalgic for the old blue law days. We remember since nothing was open on Sunday, the whole family went to church together. We had dinner afterward at home and often with extended family present. It really served to bring families closer together. Unfortunately even if everything was closed on Sunday now, I doubt it would serve any purpose as those days are just gone forever.

That would have been me, explained to some extent here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._of_alcohol_sales_on_sundays.html#post1200266

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Why? They would rather have you go to the bar and watch the game. So there is a good posibility you drive drunk. I do not drink much but I think it's a stupid law.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom