• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I will take an opposing viewpoint. Who will Sunday sales help? A few customers may find that they didn't plan ahead and run out on a Sunday, however the only people it will really help are the large corporations. Most liquor stores (around my neck of the woods anyway) are rather small shops run, if not by Mom and Pop, certainly a small businessman. If Sunday laws are repealed they will have to hire more help thus increasing payroll in the "HOPE" of more profit, stay close and maybe driving their customers to Walmart or someplace else, or selling their business and letting the big box stores have it all. Then you can come on here and complain about how the local stores are all gone and only the Walmarts of the world are left!
    Oh I forgot, if it is a mom and pop run business, they can give up their one and only day off and work 7 days a week...as if they weren't there stocking the cooler anyway.

mom and pop, dont have to operate on sunday if the law is changed. they wont be losing anymore business than what they are losing now.

so in summary you are saying that an extra day off for mom and pop is worth the trampling on my rights? no thanks man. i strongly disagree, and I dont even drink, but if i want too i should be able to buy it any day.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Can someone enlighten me to the brilliant thought behind this dumba*s law?

It certainly could be for the same reason as other blue laws, as others have pointed out here. When I was in high school, however, my government teacher told us there was a different reason for this law. He said this law was instituted/kept at the behest of business owners who wanted to ensure that their employees would have some time to dry out from the weekend, i.e., be sober and not hung over for work on Monday morning.

True, false, urban legend? I don't know.

Paternalistic, insulting, and ineffective? Yes, if this is true it absolutely is.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It has never been an inconvenience to me. I am smart enough to keep my adult beverages stocked up so I don't get the DTs on Sunday.

As to the disadvantage of small box stores versus the huge retailers, the last time this came up (I think this has been picked a part several times in my memory) someone gave a very detailed explanation of how the mom & pops are already at a disadvantage due to statute.

I think us old people sometimes are a big nostalgic for the old blue law days. We remember since nothing was open on Sunday, the whole family went to church together. We had dinner afterward at home and often with extended family present. It really served to bring families closer together. Unfortunately even if everything was closed on Sunday now, I doubt it would serve any purpose as those days are just gone forever.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Can't buy any "take home" alcohol on Sundays...

Can't buy a car on Sundays...

Can't buy a home on Sundays...

Ban sundays!

steepo17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    NE Indpls
    It has never been an inconvenience to me. I am smart enough to keep my adult beverages stocked up so I don't get the DTs on Sunday.

As to the disadvantage of small box stores versus the huge retailers, the last time this came up (I think this has been picked a part several times in my memory) someone gave a very detailed explanation of how the mom & pops are already at a disadvantage due to statute.

I think us old people sometimes are a big nostalgic for the old blue law days. We remember since nothing was open on Sunday, the whole family went to church together. We had dinner afterward at home and often with extended family present. It really served to bring families closer together. Unfortunately even if everything was closed on Sunday now, I doubt it would serve any purpose as those days are just gone forever.

I think there are some great points, but I also think some are jumping to conclusions from my original question. I am not talking about hard-core binge drinking. If I might want to buy a six pack to watch the game or my wife wants a glass of wine with dinner, I don't want to have to keep "stocked up". Just like if we run out of bread or milk, I don't think I should have to keep "stocked up" with bread or milk.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    The old blue laws were for a good purpose. No alcohol and hunting was allowed. This was to let the drunks sober up to come to church and it was considered a sin to kill an animal on a Sunday.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    I think there are some great points, but I also think some are jumping to conclusions from my original question. I am not talking about hard-core binge drinking. If I might want to buy a six pack to watch the game or my wife wants a glass of wine with dinner, I don't want to have to keep "stocked up". Just like if we run out of bread or milk, I don't think I should have to keep "stocked up" with bread or milk.

Agreed. To me it's not a stocking up thing, it's that I don't go shopping during the week. So if I've got some studying to do or have to work on Saturday (okay, College Football), means that Sunday is the only day i run errands.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    It will change, you can already see that it slowly is.

Just a few examples:
    beer sold at gas stations
    Bars open till 2:30 on Sundays now if they should choose to be
    Only have to be 19 to serve alcohol

All of these are baby steps to Sunday alcohol sales

If this is progress, what is it progress towards?

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    well heres what i meant.

no drinking age ....... BUT a person under 18 is not allowed in a bar.

no drinking age ....... BUT a person under 18 cannot have a drink at a restaurant with their meal unless a parent accompanies them.

things like that

I'm fine with under 18 in bars. It should be based on the parents choice, not the states. If I think my child can have a beer with me, then he can have a beer with me. In a bar; at home; heck even in public (as long as we're not causing a scene). The under 18 in a bar law is pretty dumb, to the point that I've seen parents have to go through the kitchen to get to parts of a restaurant.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    The old blue laws were for a good purpose. No alcohol and hunting was allowed. This was to let the drunks sober up to come to church and it was considered a sin to kill an animal on a Sunday.

LOL, drunks don't sober up that fast and if they did church is the last thing they'd look for. I've never heard of any religion any where saying it's a sin to kill an animal on Sunday.

I'm fine with it just the way it is.

Never inconvenienced me any and I never heard of any one going in to convulsions over it. If a lack of alcohol did send them in to a fit then they could use a day to sober up. May be by the next week they could reproduce enough brain cells to recognise what day comes after Saturday.

FULLMAGAZINE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    This is a "trick" answer to a straightforward question:

Blame it on churchgoers. Not that all of them are bad (I'm not!), but most of them vote. I buy all I'll need for a month on each payday. Plan ahead! Full M

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    The State - "Don't drink and drive !!!!"

Shopper- "I would like a six pack please"

Store clerk- "Sorry sir, it's Indiana. You'll have to drive to a bar for a beer"
    :dunno:

DagerOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    However it started, whether it was a "blue" law or not, it isn't STILL in place for that reason. It remains that way because the liquor stores want it that way. Same is true for the auto dealers in their situation.

Hoosiers for Beverage Choices

From a tax standpoint alone, the alcohol ban on Sundays is crazy. I know that we consistently traveled the eight miles from South Bend, IN to Niles, MI on Sundays when I was in college because that was where we could purchase beer. That money could (and should) have gone to an Indiana retailer and the taxes collected on it to the State of Indiana.

WWIIIDefender

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    The only thing the current law does is promote drunk driving on Sundays. You can get as drunk as you want at a bar you just can't buy any and take home to your BBQ. Now bars can stay open late and breweries and wineries can sell on Sundays, its only a matter of time before everyone can sell on sundays.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The only thing the current law does is promote drunk driving on Sundays. You can get as drunk as you want at a bar you just can't buy any and take home to your BBQ. Now bars can stay open late and breweries and wineries can sell on Sundays, its only a matter of time before everyone can sell on sundays.

You bring something up that I have been wondering about for a few years. Why do we even allow bars? The only purpose they serve is to ply people with alcohol to send them on their way, driving down the street. Even if you only have a couple, MADD assures us you are still impaired. So shouldn't all bars be closed or at a very minimum only allow them to serve maybe one or two to someone that is eating. Now before some ninny in the group gets their panties in a wad, I am talking about the thinking of progressives. It is not a suggestion or recommendation from me. I would not favor doing personally. I am just surprised this hasn't been pushed more...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I am accustomed to the law that sales of alcohol are banned outside of restaurants/bars on Sundays and certain holidays. However, sometimes it becomes a big inconvenience and I have to wonder why this hasn't been repealed/amended.

Steep, how much economics do you have? (just asking, not meant to be a smart alec).

Have you heard of "rent seeking"? This is the motivation of the no Sunday sales rule.

Rent seeking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wal-Mart, Kroger, inter alia would love to sell you beer on Sunday, but small liquor stores are using the power of the law for economic advantage as they get a day off which does not impact their bottom line.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Knowing I'll likely get beaten up for being a fascist, I'll put this idea forward:

Blue laws were enacted to make the law comply with the community standards of the time. I'll wager very few people felt imposed-upon at the time, for reasons stated aptly upthread.

Such laws may not make sense in today's 24/7 world, but they very much made sense when enacted.

Top Bottom