• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steepo17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    NE Indpls
    I have lived in Indiana long enough that I am accustomed to the law that sales of alcohol are banned outside of restaurants/bars on Sundays and certain holidays. However, sometimes it becomes a big inconvenience and I have to wonder why this hasn't been repealed/amended. Can someone enlighten me to the brilliant thought behind this dumba*s law?

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    It is part of the old "Blue Laws".
    Indiana is a holdout when it comes to "morality" laws.
    When I was a kid all stores, except grocery stores, which closed at 5:00PM, were closed on Sunday.
    Even the gas stations closed!
    It wasn't until the late 50's and early 60's that some stores began to buck the laws.
    As I recall SS Kresge, the founding company of K Mart, was the first to challenge the "must close on Sunday" laws.
    Other stores followed suit and the State finally gave up trying to enforce the law.
    They held on to the "no liquor on Sunday" part of the laws as a concession to the Blue Law supporters.
    Mike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    In this day and age of people working crazy shifts and all hours of the day and night it is almost a necessity to get stuff done on Sundays. It is a sad state that we have allowed ourselves to get in. Things sure were easier and more family oriented when on Sundays you went to the church of your choice and then spent Sunday visiting either your or your spouse's parents. Those were the times!

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Indiana recently allowed the option for bars to serve alcohol till 2:30 AM on Sunday/Monday mornings. I would say that within the next few years we will be able to buy some sort of alcohol on Sundays.

No alcohol on Sundays as Mike said is an old blue law, Its a (enter subject against INGO rules here) thing.

Which IMO brings the separation of (Thing I cant say) and state into question here.

Its a stupid law, kind of like no car sales on sunday

ETA: Mods - not trying to break the rules, just answering the question :D

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Indiana recently allowed the option for bars to serve alcohol till 2:30 AM on Sunday/Monday mornings. I would say that within the next few years we will be able to buy some sort of alcohol on Sundays.

No alcohol on Sundays as Mike said is an old blue law, Its a religious thing.

Which IMO brings the separation of church and state into question here.

Its a stupid law, kind of like no car sales on sunday
    I have to agree. It's trying to legislate morality.
    Never worked.
    Never will.
    Mike

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I have to agree. It's trying to legislate morality.
    Never worked.
    Never will.
    Mike

It will change, you can already see that it slowly is.

Just a few examples:
    beer sold at gas stations
    Bars open till 2:30 on Sundays now if they should choose to be
    Only have to be 19 to serve alcohol

All of these are baby steps to Sunday alcohol sales

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    How about we get rid of all liquor laws altogether?

Didn't seem to hurt the Germans or the Italians when I lived over there.

reputation_red.gif
    reputation_red.gif
    reputation_red.gif
    reputation_red.gif

Man, I see you have made some friends on here.:laugh:

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    it inconvenienced me once i think. im actually a (thing i cant say) but i still think its stupid. i do distinctly remember being unable to buy alcohol at meijer at 7am, had to wait till 8. im not sure if it was just there, or like all places, but they stopped selling alcohol i believe between like 3 and..8.. i think, i just know i meant to get some after work and it was annoying that i couldnt for no legitimate reason

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    I will take an opposing viewpoint. Who will Sunday sales help? A few customers may find that they didn't plan ahead and run out on a Sunday, however the only people it will really help are the large corporations. Most liquor stores (around my neck of the woods anyway) are rather small shops run, if not by Mom and Pop, certainly a small businessman. If Sunday laws are repealed they will have to hire more help thus increasing payroll in the "HOPE" of more profit, stay close and maybe driving their customers to Walmart or someplace else, or selling their business and letting the big box stores have it all. Then you can come on here and complain about how the local stores are all gone and only the Walmarts of the world are left!
    Oh I forgot, if it is a mom and pop run business, they can give up their one and only day off and work 7 days a week...as if they weren't there stocking the cooler anyway.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I will take an opposing viewpoint. Who will Sunday sales help? A few customers may find that they didn't plan ahead and run out on a Sunday, however the only people it will really help are the large corporations. Most liquor stores (around my neck of the woods anyway) are rather small shops run, if not by Mom and Pop, certainly a small businessman. If Sunday laws are repealed they will have to hire more help thus increasing payroll in the "HOPE" of more profit, stay close and maybe driving their customers to Walmart or someplace else, or selling their business and letting the big box stores have it all. Then you can come on here and complain about how the local stores are all gone and only the Walmarts of the world are left!
    Oh I forgot, if it is a mom and pop run business, they can give up their one and only day off and work 7 days a week...as if they weren't there stocking the cooler anyway.
    Hmm, sounds to me like they want the govt. to set it up to their advantage. I like buying from local mom and pops when possible, but lobbying for questionable laws to remain in place for the simple fact to give one group preferential treatment doesn't seem like the American way to me. :cool:

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010

So liquor stores should be protected from the free market by government?

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009

They dont HAVE to do anything. We are simply saying allow the sales. Stores dont have to open unless they want to

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    How about we get rid of all liquor laws altogether?

Didn't seem to hurt the Germans or the Italians when I lived over there.

I agree with this. In America we make it such a big deal, and hide it from our kids, so of coarse they wanna sneak and see what its about.
    end the drinking age (with certain limitations)

The current no liquor on sunday law and many other dumb laws are a result of the H**y rollers. thanks :rolleyes:

Top Bottom