RCBS Rockchucker or Hornady Lock-n-Load?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm getting ready to do some handloading. I have decided to start small, just loading 10mm to get my feet wet.

I'm trying to decide between two presses, both of which come in nice kits with other stuff:

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press Master Kit - MidwayUSA

Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press Kit - MidwayUSA

I could use some advice. Is the Hornady bushing system all that? Is the RCBS press sturdier? Is there some compelling reason to choose one over the other?

I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here, but it doesn't seem like people get as passionate about presses as they do about brands of guns.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Not that I'm one that advice should be taken from, because I'm new to it, myself.
    However...in all the searching I've done, I've been told to always go with cast iron over alloy or aluminum. That RCBS you linked is cast iron.
    YMMV

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The lock n load bushing system is a very sweet setup. You get your die setup in the bushing to where you want it and lock the ring down. Twist it out and drop another die in and twist and you're done. It's a good idea to check them every now and then but if you just want to throw a die in to do a single piece of brass or something, it's almost instant.

I have an older lock and load single stage. They aren't cast iron but if you break any single stage on the market, you're doing something wrong. I will say that the handle on the Lee cast press is hollow and will bend. The wood knob fell off in short order as well.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Not that I'm one that advice should be taken from, because I'm new to it, myself.
    However...in all the searching I've done, I've been told to always go with cast iron over alloy or aluminum. That RCBS you linked is cast iron.
    YMMV

I've been reloading for over 35 years. I'll have to go along with Annie on this. Go green. I like over-engineered reloading stuff. If you ever start reloading bottle-necked rifle cases, you'll be glad you bought the RCBS.

uniquejohn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    west lafayette
    I have the LNL and love the quck change bushings, have not loaded any large caliber bottle neck's, onlyn 223, but it works awesome and is very strong also.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    +1 for the RCBS,any press will do pistol rounds easily but,if you start doing rifle rounds the RCBS will handle just about anything.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    reloading press

I am in your exact same shoes. I have been looking to get into reloading for 10mm also. From everything i have found the RCBS rockchucker seems to be the most heavily regarded press out there. If you are going to go single stage RCBS rockchucker is the way to go (from all of the research i have done). I bought my dad one for Christmas and it is pure BEEF. I have looked for quite some time and the cheapest one i have found is at Bass Pro Shops ~$125; they normally have them in stock.

If progressive is something you are looking at then Dillon all the way. Buy once cry once.

10mm factory ammo is loaded to weak for my taste also.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    The Rockchucker has been around for decades for a reason. It's a great, solid press and will last generations!! It takes about ten seconds to screw in a die and once you get it set where you want it, you lock down the locking ring, so it's set to screw back in to the same spot time after time. LNL is a gimmick as far as I'm concerned. Adds a slight bit to convenience and a bigger bit to cost.

RCBS is great product in general and especially the RockChucker.

Doug K

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    The lock and load is a really nice set up. You won't break anything on the Hornady or the RCBS so there is no advantage there. Either will serve you well for many generations to come.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I have always been a tremendous supporter of RCBS. Quality is an understatement. As a matter of fact, I am still using a single stage (20+years old) that was my fathers, went through a flood in the basement, and is still churning like new.

I have no experience with the Hornady, and it may be nice as well, but I can certainly tell you that you can't go wrong with the RCBS.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Buy the RCBS and don't look back. If you decide later you want a bit more convience, you can always buy the conversion kit and modify the rock chucker to use the lock-N-load system. I believe the newer rock chuckers still use a 1-1/4 x 12 thread. I know the older ones did.

LAZY DOG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2009
    ROCK CHUCKER ALL THE WAY. I'VE USED MINE FOR 25 YEARS . .THE ROCK CHUCKEER WILL LOAD THE SMALLEST PISTOL ROUND OR THE LARGEST RIFLE ROUND. IF U WOULD HAVE TO APPLY PRESSURE FOR WHAT EVER REASON.FOR EXAMPLE;A STUCK CASE . YOU WONT HURT THE ROCK CHUCKER.

Top Bottom