• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I've been going over my Get Home Bag and I feel comfortable with it for the most part. I still have that feeling that I'm missing something. Anybody have any suggestions of anything I should add or take out? I also have a tote in my trunk with items I may or may not need depending on the distance home or if I decide to remain with my car to wait out an event (i.e. ice storm, heavy snow storm with high winds and zero visibility, or anything like that) Distance home can be anywhere from 20 – 40 miles. It varies throughout the day everyday. Any and all ideas are welcome. If you wonder why I have something, just ask. I'll be happy to explain it.

GHB Contents

Full change of clothes
    “Outdoor” first aid kit (Includes multi vitamins, Blistx Lip total care and anti acids)
    Tarp 10 x 20
    Rope with rope tensioner
    36'' heavy duty bungee strap
    4 tent stakes
    Hatchet
    Folding handsaw
    Folding shovel
    Full rain suit and poncho
    Lighter, water proof matches, and magnesium stone
    2 MRE's with heaters
    Box of peanut butter cracker, granola bars, and beef jerky
    8 – 16.9 oz bottles of water
    Duck tape
    Super glue
    Campfire starter sticks
    Hand crank flash light
    4 Chem stick lights
    4 Silver emergency blankets
    Several packets of “Hot Hands” including shoe inserts
    Extra hat that covers ears, face and neck
    Water purification tablets
    Extra holster
    Winchester multi tool
    Map and Compass

Totes contents

Extra clothes for the kids
    4 ponchos
    Extra Ammo
    Coleman blackcat catalytic heater
    4 - 1# propane tanks
    -20 degree mummy sleeping bag
    8 – 16.9 oz water bottles
    Hand crank radio with built in flashlight and cell phone charger

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    just off th top of my head, i would say get a better multi tool, a space blanket, some good surplus wool blankets, a pistol. Water purification tablets are fine, but you will want a good water filter. And I didn't see any kind of a good knife in the whole list. You're gonna want more than a multi tool. Just my 2 cents

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    make sure your water tablets arent iodine based.

sounds like more of a bug out car bag than a get home bag.

i would ditch the tent stakes. make sure your map is a water proof map. might also want a write in the rain note pad and pen. its good to write down things in a high stress/no sleep situation. get some 550 cord and throw out the rope tentioner and just learn to tie some knots. ditch the folding saw. replace the hatchet with a tomahawk with a hammer on one side (cold steel, riflemans hawk for example). field strip your MRE's to save space and then add more MRE's (you could fit several where just one fit before). ditch the tarp, use the ponchos as shelter. dont forget a multi caliber cleaning kit (otis) and some rem wipes. ditch the fire starter sticks. fill a match tube with cotton and vasalene. compress the duct tape roll. add a small pry bar.
    also I agree with the guy above on the knife. but I also dont know what your EDC is. I personaly have built up all my kits to compliment each other. if i had too, what I carry in my pockets could keep me alive.
    just ideas and opinions off the top of my head. in the end you know what your own needs are better than anyone else. The only way to find what you wont need or want is to hump it about 40 miles around your ao and see what you didnt throw out at the end of your trip, lol.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    GHB Contents

Full change of clothes
    “Outdoor” first aid kit (Includes multi vitamins, Blistx Lip total care and anti acids)
    Tarp 10 x 20
    Rope with rope tensioner
    36'' heavy duty bungee strap
    4 tent stakes
    Hatchet
    Folding handsaw
    Folding shovel
    Full rain suit and poncho
    Lighter, water proof matches, and magnesium stone
    2 MRE's with heaters
    Box of peanut butter cracker, granola bars, and beef jerky
    8 – 16.9 oz bottles of water
    Duck tape
    Super glue
    Campfire starter sticks
    Hand crank flash light
    4 Chem stick lights
    4 Silver emergency blankets
    Several packets of “Hot Hands” including shoe inserts
    Extra hat that covers ears, face and neck
    Water purification tablets
    Extra holster
    Winchester multi tool
    Map and Compass

Totes contents

Extra clothes for the kids
    4 ponchos
    Extra Ammo
    Coleman blackcat catalytic heater
    4 - 1# propane tanks
    -20 degree mummy sleeping bag
    8 – 16.9 oz water bottles
    Hand crank radio with built in flashlight and cell phone charger

Living in Indiana and your plan of 20-40 miles only would change my thinking on a few things. First, I would ditch the saw, shovel, change of clothes, rain suit, fire sticks, and extra holster. My reasoning is that if you are wanting to "just get home" then you shouldn't be outside for more than 2 days if you only plan on 20-40 miles from home. If you want the rain suit then put it in the tote so that you can grab it and wear it IF it is raining and not carrying extra weight. Also, throw in at least one pair of extra socks and some small first aid items like an ace bandage or even an ankle brace in case of a fall or slip. Finally, I would pick up a Camelbak style water pouch for your pack so that you can always have at least 2-3L of water on your person and the bottles can be ditched if by yourself for the weight. It will add up fast and a few dry runs are always good.

In the tote you are doing right for the in car preps but I would add some surplus blankets, flashlights, entertainment device(cards or a book), and a few MRE's or mountain house packs so that you can feed the kids.

Top Bottom