• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I 'm looking for a new 223 to kill coyotes . ( heres a link to another thread)

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/21581-223_bolt_action_rifle_recommendation.html

I'm leaning towards the CZ 527 varmint with a laminated stock.
    Any way I'm wondering which rate of twist I should get. I'm buying it for 4 legged varmints so I want to be able to shoot lightweight bullets accurately.But I don't want to buy something that won't shoot heavier bullets well in case of the .... what is it... the uh... OMGSHTFEOTWBBQ!
    Any firearm can be a defensive/offensive weapon obviously . Just wanting to cover my bases so to speak.
    What do you folks suggest and why?

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I've never had a 12 twist that would stabilize anything heavier than 65 grains.

According to CZ's 2009 catalog, with the varmint laminated 527 the only twist available is 12.

The Kevlar model will get you the 9 twist which will allow the 69's-80 iin most cases.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    So the 1:12 twist will work better with the smaller pills right?

Correct. The 1-12 will handle up to and including 55gr. and in some cases 60gr. OK at .223 velocities, but beyond that you will lose stability, especially at longer ranges. The problem with a tighter twist like the 1-9 is a lot of light weight varmint bullets will come apart leaving the barrel due to the higher RPM. Some just aren't designed to withstand 250,000 RPM.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    You guys got your info all mixed up. 1/12 will do up to 55 grains, 1-9 is good for about 69 and 1/7 will do up to 77 and the 80's are TOO LONG to chamber in anything outside of a throated gun. Spend some time on a site where people know thier .223/5.56 stuff like ar15.com and learn a little bit.

ETA: the 1/7 twist is the one that explodes the lighter rounds not 1/9.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    You guys got your info all mixed up. 1/12 will do up to 55 grains, 1-9 is good for about 69 and 1/7 will do up to 77 and the 80's are TOO LONG to chamber in anything outside of a throated gun. Spend some time on a site where people know thier .223/5.56 stuff like ar15.com and learn a little bit.

Don,

While you may be correct in talking about an AR-15, we're talking about a bolt rifle here.

AR15.com is a wealth of MISINFORMATION for folks that are looking for information on the 223 in a platform other than the AR. For that matter - if some of those folks would actually start checking the chamber dimensions on their 5.56 or 223 marked uppers - they'd be surprised at what they would find.

The chamber freebore of any rifle is an unknown until the rifle is checked either with a chamber casting or with a Stoney Point tool or the like for comparison. Savage has their own reamer spec, Remington has their own reamer spec, etc. Not a single factory barreled production bolt rifle have I ever found a "SAAMI" spec chamber or throat - they're all LONGER, typically MUCH LONGER.

My last 527 in 223 had .070" of freebore, more than the Wylde or 5.56 - and this was a 12 twist rifle. It shot the lightweight bullets acceptably. My current 700 VS 223 12 twist has just under .060" which is STILL longer than the 5.56 throat. Amazingly enough - the most accurate bullet remains the 40g V-Max, even with its nearly unbelievable jump to the rifling.

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    my rem. is 1/12 and it shoots 45 grain best.it dont like heavy for accuracy.i traded the 1/8 twist tikka,it shot heavy bullets more accurate.both gun shoot all bullets acceptable for hunting coydogs.cz is a good center fire rifle,just too nice looking for my hunting.dgun67 got a savage w/ accu trigger that shoots moa,he got from me.find what appeals to you and you cant lose w/ most makes.

Last edited:

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    a barrel is a barrel, no difference if it is hand loaded or automatically.

i laughed when he wrote that don.sometimes you have to.talk about misinformation

For $18.00 for a pound of Cerrosafe, some boiling water and a small vessel to melt it in and you can figure it out for yourself.

Until then - you're basing your knowledge on unknown "internet experts".

Do it yourself and draw your own conclusions.

If $18.00 is too much for you, or melting 170F metal bothers you - make a simple phone call to PTG - ask Melena how many 5.56 and 223 OEM reamer variations they have.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008

Don, you seem to be the one that's mixed up. You might want to reread the original post.

Which SX bullet in 40 to 50 grains will withstand a 1-9 twist at top velocities? I know the Hornady SPSX and the Varmint Nightmare will not and both manufacturers state up front that this is true.

I love my ARs but they are a world apart from the OPs questions. If I want to know something AR specific I'll sort through the misinformation of ARFCOM for reasonable replies. For Varmint guns of the bolt variety that is the last place I would go.

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    i am baseing my knowledge on shooting and common sense.i shoot 3600 fps 223 45 gr. 1/12 twist, groups 1 inch mostly.68 gr. 2.5 in....///1/8 twist tikka 1 ragged hole to 3/4 constistantly w/ 68 gr.,45 gr. 1 in. or a little worse.i thought we were talking rate of twist, not throat depth and other variables.coyote guns not bench rest.all guns out there should be fine.good luck on your choice

Top Bottom