• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I took both the XDS or Kahr CT9 to the range today.
    I don't need both & I'm trying to trim the safe (again).
    3 times previous I've tried to pick one to sell but I like them both & just couldn't.
    I was determined today to decide, hoping that shooting them one more time would help.
    No help. They both shot the same in my hands.

I decided the Kahr CT9 would be sold first so the Springfield Armory XD-S Mod 2 3.3" barrel got a reprieve.
    It could be next since more need trimmed.
    A friend told me to just sell both since I have others, but I couldn't handle that today.
    I will pick another safe dweller to go head-to-head with the XDS to find the next 9mm to be trimmed after the Kahr sells.

Kahr CT9 pros:
    - Prefer the DAO w/o safety
    - feels perfect in the hand

XDS pros:
    - front Red fiber optic front sight preferred
    - extra round capacity (9 rd)
    - smaller mag (7 rd) available when needing a less profile when carrying
    - holster I'm using allows grip to be a tad higher above belt

A pic of range time today.
    5.75" circles at 15' with Federal American Eagle 147 grain.
    Range 7.09.2021 at 15ft with XDS.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I also trimmed a 9mm yesterday and now find myself looking for something new to try. Old man with idle time, fun!
    That's so funny! :laugh:
    That used to be me, but I've reformed. :scratch:
    Unless, of course, it is a .22LR I've not had :dunno: , like I did yesterday with a rare 10" barreled Buckmark Silhouette Target pistol with upgrades. :ingo:Thank you INGO member, Zachcz for the heads up! :thumbsup:
    right side original pic.jpg

I can't imagine there being another 9mm that I can't live w/o since I've had so many the past 4 yrs.
    I splurged buying the SW 686 3" SS .357' with its alluring 7 rds, just b/c I always wanted one & I justified it thinking it might be a possible CC, which I have done, but I'm used to subcompacts.
    right side.jpg
    I know I probably won't keep the 686 when I get serious about trimming the safe, just like the SW 6946 which is the 12 round DAO pistol I had to have after giving up my 5906 & 4006 (40 acp with adjustable rear sights) 3rd gen SWs.
    It will have to go sometime but I resist presently for the same reasons I cling to the 686: classic proud ownership! :rockwoot:
    pic 6946.png

I've even though of putting up my prized possession, the CZ Shadow 2 all liquored up since I have nearly $1400 invested in it with holster I bought for steel matches, but it just sits in the safe.
    I've even thought about buying a .22 Kadet conversion kit to justify keeping it, but they aren't available since the pandemic.
    Tungsten finished pic 7.22.2020.jpg

This Rami is another I had to have b/c a member had it all liquored up & it just sits in the safe, but I love it so.
    A particularly sweet gun, which demands to be kept every time I take it to the range.
    right side ad pic.jpg

This is a particularly fine gun & moderately priced compared to the others, bought from Zachcz.
    So much gun for the money! And accurate. Best box with accessories I've ever had.
    pic left side internet.jpg

Gone are the days of putting 300 rds through anything but .22LR at the range for obvious reasons.
    I'm slow to get out the limited amount of 9mm, 38/357 or even .32 acp.
    I have a little Beretta Tomcat I can't part with. :wallbash:
    Totally illogical, but it is what it is.
    Walnut left side #2.JPG

I used a box of 9mm yesterday in 2 of my CC pistols.
    These two guns compete for CC when I don't use the Kimber 6s revolver.
    I don't need both, however, & even might end up selling both, but the Kahr CT9 is first in line for trimming.
    left side w slide back.jpg

The XD-S Mod 2 3.3" could be next, but it took months just to have the courage to sell the CT9.
    I want to keep at least one small 9mm CC, but it's hard to part with anything at this point.
    Pic of NEW XD from Rural King JL 23.2020.jpg

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I also have a Canik TP9SFx and it is a wonderful shooter! I feel like I’m cheating when I shoot it.
    The Canik points very good and it's very reliable and has a good trigger out of the box. I currently own the TP9DA version it's an upgrade to the TP9v2. I like them both but gave my V2 to my daughter she wanted it.

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    The Canik points very good and it's very reliable and has a good trigger out of the box. I currently own the TP9DA version it's an upgrade to the TP9v2. I like them both but gave my V2 to my daughter she wanted it.
    I bought my Canik from a friend that got it in a trade when he sold his Harley. I was very impressed after shooting it. Everything just felt “right” when shooting it. I’d love to shoot other Canik’s as this was my first time shooting one.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I bought my Canik from a friend that got it in a trade when he sold his Harley. I was very impressed after shooting it. Everything just felt “right” when shooting it. I’d love to shoot other Canik’s as this was my first time shooting one.
    That is basically how I got involved with a Canik brand.
    A friend had the 5.2” he was going to sell and I wanted to try it out.
    That led to buying a sub compact version that became available ha ha!
    same thing happened to me with Springfield Armory.
    I bought a new subcompact from Rural King, and liked it so much I ended up buying a 4 inch service model that was terrific.

CZ hit me the hardest:
    I’ve had nearly a dozen of those, and still have two left that I can’t part with.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I got out a couple of weeks ago with a new to me near mint S&W Model 39 and my faithful Belgian made Browning Hi-Power Target Model. Nothing like shooting real steel handguns with Walnut grips. Done!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    @doddg how do you like the Ruger Max? Looks like it shot well, but how does it feel and compare to your other sub-compacts?
    After awhile, there all "samish."
    In all fairness, I'm not running many 9mm rds through any gun to have a definitive opinion.

I look at charts of all the specs (handgunhero.com), which put alot of the 9mms I've had lately in close contention.
    But, when it comes to "feel," that is subjective & I've changed my opinion depending on those elusive factors that can't be quantified.

I love my Kahr CT9 (had to buy another when sold my 1st one), but the Ruger Max-9 capacity & size got my attention 2 weeks ago.
    I didn't pay any attention to it earlier b/c I had no need. :dunno:
    But, I got it in my head to get a better capacity in a smaller package of which the Springfield Armory XD-S didn't fit the bill, so I sold it, along with the Canik TP9 Elite SC.
    Should have just kept the Sig 365 (I've had 2 different ones), since it was "same" size as the Max-9 & the 12 rd mag in the 365 would have just added only a tad more height.

As you can see below, the Ruger Max-9 is only a little here & there smaller & it feels like it in my hand.
    Ruger Max-9 vs (Kahr CT9)
    Length = 6" (Kahr=6.5")
    Barrel length = 3.2" (Kahr=4")
    Height = 4.52" (Kahr=5.1")
    Width = 0.95" (Kahr=.90"
    Weight = 18.4 oz (Kahr=20.6")

I still can't give up my "manly" CZ Rami with its "samish" dimensions to the Max-9, but it "feels" so much more "stout."
    Rami only has a 10 rd capacity (14 rd optional, adding to the height), but is paramount in IWB CC.

I'm reluctant to say, but I'm old school & prefer a thumb safety, which is a factor that put getting the Max 9 over the edge for me.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Did something interesting today.
    I had picked up a Kahr CM9 along the way to have a very small CC when needed.
    It comes with a 6 rd flush magazine & I ordered an 8 rd mag for it as well (8 rd is what my larger CT9 has that I'm selling).
    8 rd mag provides a great grip, but w/o a long enough extension.
    I can't believe it was listed for the CM9 since the mag extension isn't long enough.
    It would fit the CW9 perfectly, with its longer grip.
    Midwayusa said:
    Kahr Magazine Kahr CM9, CW9, K9, MK9, P9, PM9 9mm Luger 8-Round Stainless Steel with Grip Extension.

Also stated:
    Compatible With Kahr:
    CM9
    CW9
    K9
    MK9
    P9
    PM9

So, it looks a bit odd, but functions fine.

Range using 6 rd mag at 15'.
    Used CCI Blazer 124 grain FMJ for all rds today.
    5 rds each target.
    Range 8.12.2021 w6 rd mag 15 ft.jpg

8 rd mag used at 15' & 21'.
    Range 8.12.2021 w8 rd mag 15 & 21 ft.jpg

stock 6 rd mag installed
    Pic CM9 left side with 6 rd mag.jpg

Bought 8 rd mag, which said it was "campatible" with the CM9, but obviously function not form, haha!
    pic CM9 left side with 8 rd mag.jpg

Good fit with the hand with the 8 rd mag inserted.
    pic CM9 left side with 8 rd mag me holding it.jpg

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    While I do admit a preference for my 45 calibers, I also love the 9mm...always have. Of the 9mm's I own, hands down the most accurate (for me) is my Beretta M9. I did add a new reduced power "D" spring, and Wilson Combat short reach trigger, but that thing is smooth as silk. All my early shooting/training was either revolvers, SA 1911's, DA/SA semi-autos, so those trigger options are still my preference. Also probably why I love the Kahr triggers to be honest, and my CM9 and P9 are stupid accurate as well. I have carried various Glock's over the many years in my career since my first one in 1987..the original Glock 17. And I still do have/shoot/carry a Glock 17 (gen4), but that is my only striker fired at this time. And yes...it is completely accurate for the tasks at hand and I feel completely comfortable with it on my hip.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    While I do admit a preference for my 45 calibers, I also love the 9mm...always have. Of the 9mm's I own, hands down the most accurate (for me) is my Beretta M9. I did add a new reduced power "D" spring, and Wilson Combat short reach trigger, but that thing is smooth as silk. All my early shooting/training was either revolvers, SA 1911's, DA/SA semi-autos, so those trigger options are still my preference. Also probably why I love the Kahr triggers to be honest, and my CM9 and P9 are stupid accurate as well. I have carried various Glock's over the many years in my career since my first one in 1987..the original Glock 17. And I still do have/shoot/carry a Glock 17 (gen4), but that is my only striker fired at this time. And yes...it is completely accurate for the tasks at hand and I feel completely comfortable with it on my hip.
    Sounds sweet!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sold off all but two range 9mm guns except for the CZ Shadow 2 & Rami.
    I don't shoot 9mm for fun anymore, but only the occasional function checks.
    The Shadow 2 should be sold b/c of lack of use, but I have $1400 invested in it & the Rami is just the perfect meaty CC pistol & can double as a range gun since it has been "enhanced."

The Canik TP9SFX was totally awesome range gun, but the days of putting 200-300 rds down the range for fun are over, so is gone.

I hated parting with the Springfield Armory M2 4" Service revolver I bought for a larger CC b/c it doubled as an accurate range gun, but I never used it once the capacity of a larger CC, & for range fun, I shoot .22LR.

I also sold some "extra" CC guns that weren't being used anymore with the Ruger Max-9 putting some to rest.
    The Kahr CM9 & CW9 are gone, having earlier sold the CT9.
    I even sold my EAA Windicator 6 rd .357 revolver that was an inexpensive house revolver & even a CC when I didn't want to use the nice shiny Kimber, haha!
    But, I wasn't giving up my Kimber 6s & couldn't justify both since I'm in another trim mode.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It was fun today shooting an older friend's two 1911 pistols.
    He is a retired plumber & then a retired nurse, quite the unusual combination.
    I met him buying/selling in the past here on INGO & even been able to get him to do some plumbing for my son & I.

Today, I was shooting an American Tactical 1911 Commander
    &
    a Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officer.

Top two 5.75" circles are the American Tactical 1911 Commander.
    Shot low on my practice target, so I had to learn to shoot more of a combat style here.

Middle & bottom circles were the Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officer.
    It had adjustable sights but didn't want to take the time to adjust them for my eyes, but wanted to see how it grouped.

In the bottom right circle, there were 3 rds in that one hole in the center.
    You can see where I had the occasional flyer on both guns b/c I'm not getting any better, haha!
    5 rounds per circle.
    Range 10.05.2021 30ft two 1911s.jpg

American Tactical 1911 Commander
    right side.jpg

Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officer
    Left side with slide pulled back.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Love that Range Officer! I've had one in 45 for going on 10 years now. I thought of adding one in 9mm a few times.. One of the best shooting centerfire pistols I've ever owned. Unfortunately got to the point where I could not see the sights well. I ended up putting a Burris Fastfire 3 on it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Love that Range Officer! I've had one in 45 for going on 10 years now. I thought of adding one in 9mm a few times.. One of the best shooting centerfire pistols I've ever owned. Unfortunately got to the point where I could not see the sights well. I ended up putting a Burris Fastfire 3 on it.

Bought two of the Ruger 1911 9mm Compacts pictured below for $600-$625.
    I wish I'd kept one just because.......
    I also enjoyed having the Ruger 1911 .45acp & a large 9mm (Ruger or SW) to experience the 1911 platform back when you could get such for $600 - $650.

The Compact still had enough height in the grip to get my pinky on board.

What I remember is that it was so accurate for such a small pistol.
    I remember that with one of them, the 1st time I shot it, I got a perfect bullseye & that was back before I was using a rest, haha!
    I should have stopped there, since the rest of the rounds circled the 1st one & I didn't proceed to create a 1-hole.

Memory lane for the Ruger 1911 9mm Compacts:
    Barrel 3.6"
    Finish Low-Glare Stainless Steel Slide
    Length 7.25"
    Height 5"
    Weight 27.2 oz.
    Magazine 8 rd x2
    left side.JPG

left grip.jpg rt. grip.jpg test 2 rt.jpg test 1911.png slide back front.jpg sights front and back.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Had to shoot a couple of my few 9mm still standing after the trimming.

I didn't have my extended 14 rd mag to shoot with & the 10 rd doesn't give me a full purchase.
    Targets showed that.
    I usually only shoot at 21', but I had fun at 15'.
    I wanted to see what would happen at 45' although I couldn't see the target well.
    5 rds per target.
    Used CCI Blazer 124 gr. FMJ
    Range 10.2021 x3 distances.jpg

Top Bottom