• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    This may not be in the correct category. If so, I apologize. I shot at a competition event today at an Indiana range. During the safety briefing we (the shooters) were informed that a number of persons had been designated as range safety officers, for the event. The shoot director then went on to state that there were additional individuals assigned for specific duties in the event of a range accident involving a personal injury.

The shoot director then stated, and repeated, that no one was to call 911 in the event of a shooting mishap. I found this rather odd. Perhaps the intent was to have the range personnel use their discretion in calling 911. However, the range director didn't state they would handle calling 911, rather, he made the statement "they would take care of an incident if it occurred." This made me a little uncomfortable. In the event of a range mishap, especially if I was on the receiving end of an accidental shooting, I would want 911 called immediately and EMS personnal dispatched as quickly as possible.

I would appreciate comments - either from range directors, EMS personnel, or other who may have experienced this type of scenario re: the proper procedures for this issue.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Different scenario, but at my work one person is designated for 911. I would assume the same thing was going on at the range, but would have asked then.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I want to think it would be to prevent overloading the 911 system. Depending on the location, even 5 or 6 calls at the same time would put a stress on it.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    By NOT allowing several people to call 911, it prevents the authorities from having to deal with many reports and confusing the emergency responders.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    This may not be in the correct category. If so, I apologize. I shot at a competition event today at an Indiana range. During the safety briefing we (the shooters) were informed that a number of persons had been designated as range safety officers, for the event. The shoot director then went on to state that there were additional individuals assigned for specific duties in the event of a range accident involving a personal injury.

The shoot director then stated, and repeated, that no one was to call 911 in the event of a shooting mishap. I found this rather odd. Perhaps the intent was to have the range personnel use their discretion in calling 911. However, the range director didn't state they would handle calling 911, rather, he made the statement "they would take care of an incident if it occurred." This made me a little uncomfortable. In the event of a range mishap, especially if I was on the receiving end of an accidental shooting, I would want 911 called immediately and EMS personnal dispatched as quickly as possible.

I would appreciate comments - either from range directors, EMS personnel, or other who may have experienced this type of scenario re: the proper procedures for this issue.

To me, that includes calling 911 if necessary, though perhaps they could have been a bit more explicit.

By NOT allowing several people to call 911, it prevents the authorities from having to deal with many reports and confusing the emergency responders.

This^^

I witnessed a car accident last night and had my girlfriend call 911 immediately. When authorities arrived and I was speaking with a LEO, he was talking about how many reports of this incident they had got.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    For anyone certified in first aid, there is a saying "Check, Call, Care."

That means checking the area to see if it is safe, calling 911 after the situation is safe, and then attending to the situation.

I would guess that in the case of this shoot, that designated people have been tasked with each step to be as quick and efficient with dealing with the situation as possible. As others said, 20 simultaneous calls from 20 different people with different vantage points and different information to 911 won't help anymore than 1 call will with accurate information about the situation.

Still worth clarifying with the RO or director, but that is probably the protocol for the event that one person is designated to call 911 and relay information to the operator.

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Agreed they could have been more clear, but at the last match I shot they made they same announcement. But also clarified this was not to overload EMS and report possibly conflicting info.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    That would probably make me wonder why too. I would assume that they have a safety protocol in place and they want to make sure it's followed to the letter. You should have asked them specifically about this. Particularly since it made your "spidey sense" go off.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    Perhaps there were medics present.
    Along with a certified ALS ambulance that can get the injured person to a hospital? I'm guessing not. While an experienced and well-equipped field medic can be crucial in the first few minutes after a gunshot wound, nothing beats a Level I Trauma center.

I think the reasoning that the range operators were trying to avoid multiple 9-1-1 calls has merit. If you spend much time listening to police, fire, and EMS dispatchers on the radio, you'll quickly learn that the cellphone generation can sometimes overwhelm the dispatchers. Different calls with different versions of the story often times with different locations. The dispatchers end up sending multiple pieces of equipment to what they think are separate situations only to find out it was just one incident.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    It's simple. They don't need everyone with a cell phone simultaneously calling 911 in the case of an accident. Nearly everyone carries a phone these days. Anyone see a problem if, lets say, 30-40 folks dialed 911 all at the same time?

MMRUSH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    The proper procedure is Check,Call,Care. and one person is assigned to make the call.And perhaps if it was just a minor injury imagine what the news media would make this story out to be. I wouldnt doubt if the haters would want this event and all others like it banned.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I am going to assume that there would be more than 1 person assigned to make the call. God forbid the guy designated to call is the one that gets shot and everyone stands around watching the guy bleed out waiting for the ambulance that never comes.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I am pretty sure I know where you were shooting and I have heard the same message. If I am correct on the location either the person giving it did accidently leave out some of the information or you were somehow distracted and didn't hear it all. It is a well thought out plan with people being assigned to all the duties that will make a hectic sitution run as smoothly as possible. There are people assigned to call immediatley on a cell phone while someone else is assigned to immediatley go to the clubhouse and call from the land line in case of cell problems. Others are assigned to go to specific places to guide emergency crews to the injured person.
    I cannot say if this whole thing was repeated yesterday or not because I was not there because of my grandson's birthday party. I do know the last time I shot there this is what was repeated and this is a very well run club with a huge emphasis on safety. Jim.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    It is always easier to think of what to ask after a situation than it is when it is going on. Having said that, asking for an explanation would have been a good idea. I agree with other posters that it was probably to avoid overloading the 911 system and that personnel present would do what needed to be done, including calling 911. With all the anti-gun sentiment going on right now, an unnecessary 911 call and press attention could be bad for the range as well.

Top Bottom