• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Well today was the day I finally got to break out the new Savage .22 I got last month, along with the Hi-point carbine I got at the last Indy 1500 (report in another post)

First off here's the rifle:
    picture.php

picture.php

Plain Jane synthetic stock, one 10 round mag with a 4x32 Simmons scope on it from the factory.

Did the recommended fire/clean/oil for the first 10 rounds into the creek bed, and pondered the thought of also doing the 3 shot and repeat process 10 more times, decided this was going to be a headache
    headache.gif
    , time to get to business.
    First off the rifle was supposed to be bore sighted, it was half right
    huh.gif

Since I have never sighted in a rifle before this was an on the job training process that gave me a new respect for people that can do this quickly.

At least the left/right was dead on, but up/down was not even on paper at 25 yards. After my initial futile attempts to get it close, I finally got the hang of it and landed one inside a 9 ring. Moved it out to 50 yards and started all over again till it was lights out, was tagging all 10 shots of the mag in the 1 inch orange bull. I must say it will definitely shoot better than me right now, I have never been a rifle shooter, but this will now change because of this little beauty and the current price of ammo.

Overall I fired almost 150 rounds for the day through it with no failures to feed or extract using Winchester Super X High Velocity rated at 1260fps weighing 40gr.

It's a nice rifle weighing in at 5.5 pounds, initial trigger pull was a little gritty, but smoothed out very nicely with a crisp break when it fired.
    Factory 10 shot mag was mild pain to load, only came with one, and there are no high capacity mags avaiable (bummer, +1 to Ruger and Remington for their higher capacities mags)
    The factory installed 4x32 Simmons is a very nice scope, but I'm leaning on changing it to a 3-9x32 since I've now been baptized on sighting. I figure I'll lock it in a gun vise, fire a round and the swap scopes and reset the new one to that impact point the fine tune away. (open to suggestions if there's a better way.)

After buying this I kept having second thoughts on whether I should have gotten a Ruger 10/22, but after shooting this beside my best friend (who btw has a 10/22), I now have no doubt about it that I made the right choice. Purchased this out the door from Bradis after waiting several weeks for manufacturing to catch up with demand for 209.00.

Watch out varmints, there's a new sheriff in town!
    cop.gif

Last edited:

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    i wish more people on here liked 22.so much you can do w/ them.fun compitition,honing skills for bigger game or just plinking.i can not get enough of them.literally.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    i wish more people on here liked 22.so much you can do w/ them.fun compitition,honing skills for bigger game or just plinking.i can not get enough of them.literally.

Well to tell you the truth, I think ammo prices have started to drive people that way, the problem is that even the .22 rifle prices are getting out of site.

Before settling on my Savage 64 I was researching prices vs quality, started seeing past prices from before Oct and noticed that even the cheap 10/22 carbines was up over 100.00 in some places. Heck my 64 FVXP was listed for 117.00 14 months ago, bought it for 209.00 and still feel like I got a deal on how good it shoots.

I can honestly say that greed has had a lot to do with the current price increase of tons of items, but let's leave that for another thread.

I feel once I get my preferred scope on my Savage that I'm going to have a tack driver to enjoy for years to come.:cool:

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    Before settling on my Savage 64 I was researching prices vs quality, started seeing past prices from before Oct and noticed that even the cheap 10/22 carbines was up over 100.00 in some places. Heck my 64 FVXP was listed for 117.00 14 months ago, bought it for 209.00 and still feel like I got a deal on how good it shoots.

I remember when me and my grandfather bought my Ruger 10/22 at a pawn shop, we paid $60 for it, but that was over 10 years ago, at least.

Top Bottom