• ...and so much more!
  • Riflemen14

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Wells County
    Last Saturday I went to a new range. No rounds were put down range, but dirt was flying all over the place. Firearm safety rule number 4 was the main focus of this days event.
    This is the story of building a private range on my mom’s property. For years I have been practicing my shooting sport skills at many public or private ranges in the states I’ve lived in, Illinois, New York, and Indiana. In all those ranges, public or private I’ve had close calls due to others being unsafe in their actions or just plain stupidity or ignorance.
    My parents 3 years ago bought a new home with 5 acres of land. Their intent was to have horses, unfortunately my stepfather passed away a year later. Last fall my mom asked if I would like to shoot in the “back yard” when I visit her. Told her it would be awesome! Right away I realized I would need a backstop. So through the winter I saved up money for a backstop. I based my backstop on what INGO member mkbar80 posted here back in June.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/219235-has_anyone_built_their_own_range_or_converted_a_building_into_a_range.html
    With 60 tons of dirt, 54 railroad ties and 8 12’ poles and an outstanding buddy with a bobcat with bucket and auger. It was time to build a backstop!

Before:
    Range001.jpg

60 tons of dirt!
    Range002.jpg

First drilling for the poles
    Range003.jpg

Drilling 4 feet down
    Range004.jpg

All drilling complete with 8 poles in holes!
    Range005.jpg

1 hr 30 mins of tampered down dirt the poles are set
    Range006.jpg

The braces are in place
    Range007.jpg

First section is up, 8 foot tall
    Range008.jpg

All four sections are up
    Range009.jpg

A view of the back of the wall
    Range010.jpg

Front view with some of the dirt pushed up.
    Range011.jpg

All that is left is for my mom’s neighbor, a 85+ years old, who is a hard charger, non-stop fireball to take his loader and finish pushing the dirt up the backstop. He has been wanting to “play in the dirt” ever since I started this project. And I won’t be standing in his way to have him some fun in the dirt.

And last to my friend Tim, who has been a major help, hell who I’m I kidding, I would not of had enough money to rent the equipment needed to do this project this year. So, to Tim, and his incredible talent running a bobcat and his time he gave to me in getting this dream project to its completion! I owe him big time!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    looks fantastic!!!

I'd also perhaps want to keep a "dirt fund" in mind going forward. It's going to settle / wash out / etc. You'll probably want more dirt - even as soon as next year.

Also: Get some ground cover for the soil to help keep it in place!

-J-

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    looks fantastic!!!

I'd also perhaps want to keep a "dirt fund" in mind going forward. It's going to settle / wash out / etc. You'll probably want more dirt - even as soon as next year.

Also: Get some ground cover for the soil to help keep it in place!

-J-

I agree, gonna need more.
    For some reason I expected 60 tons of dirt to look bigger.

Very jealous btw! I grew up in Muncie, so I'm always in Delaware Co. visiting family. I'd love to have enough land to do this someday.

Mace010

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    East Central
    I agree, gonna need more.
    For some reason I expected 60 tons of dirt to look bigger.

Very jealous btw! I grew up in Muncie, so I'm always in Delaware Co. visiting family. I'd love to have enough land to do this someday.

I'm surprised that is 60 tons! I would have expected more

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    soil is pretty dense stuff - especially if there's any kind of moisture in it.

I'd have thought 60T was more than that, too! :n00b:

Riflemen14

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Wells County
    Thank you for all your replies. :rockwoot: I agree that 60 tons doesn't look like alot. I will need more next year for sure. When was first delivered it was just over 6 foot tall. One good rain, and it settled over 2 foot! Now if will quit raining I hope to get my neighbor over with his loader and pile some up. So I can put some rounds down range.
    And also I named the range 180, because it 180yards long. :):

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    That is a fantastic looking range. I am quite jealous. If you don't mind me asking, what is the total project cost? (And if you don't mind me being really nosey, can you break it down and tell us what each part cost as well?) :-)

sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    Good job!
    There's one county in between me and that range of yours. I also shoot with guys from the Indiana Run and gun project. If you want somone to do some tac drills with, I'm there!

Last edited:

Riflemen14

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Wells County
    For Jackson;

The cost for each part;

Dirt, 60 tons: $615.75 3.75 ton = 75.00 20 tons, delivery/fuel 125.00 x3

Railroad ties: $403.88 54 ties x 6.99 +tax 26.43

12' poles: $160.00 8 poles x 20.00

Fuel: $150.00 Get RXR ties and poles

Misc hardware: $67.13 lag bolts, rope, and #9 wire

Food & drink :laugh: $45.00

Buddy Tim's help: priceless

Total: $1441.76

Basicly for the cost of a top end rifle you can build a range :ar15:

Tarkington

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Growing grass in the dirt would also help with the washing away/erosion factor.

The comments about growing grass are excellent and as a Landscape Architect, my suggestion to you is to take this one step further. The rain and wind will eat away at that lovely mound and I would recommend protecting your investment with some erosion control measures.

If it's in the budget, I would recommend getting some Erosion Control Blankets and some 6"-8" metal staples in addition to seeding the mound. First, fertilize and seed. Unroll and lay the blankets over the mound so they overlap, then drive those staples into the ground. It's not too late to do this now. Check it after any storms to see if any erosion has occured. If so, pull the blanket back, add soil, re-seed, and re-lay the blanket.

Nice job building the range. I hope to do the same thing some day.

Top Bottom