• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    agentl074 -- Don't mean to be too negative, but whether is SSB or AM, it's still CB. And while you maybe able to talk to folks, generally the professionalism is not anywhere near what it will be on tham ham bands (yes, there are some jerks out there). If you're going to get in to the radio world, you should really get into Amatuer (lots more bands, frequencies, modes, etc.). Just my 2-cents. -- Greg, K9TLA

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    agentl074 -- Don't mean to be too negative, but whether is SSB or AM, it's still CB. And while you maybe able to talk to folks, generally the professionalism is not anywhere near what it will be on tham ham bands (yes, there are some jerks out there). If you're going to get in to the radio world, you should really get into Amatuer (lots more bands, frequencies, modes, etc.). Just my 2-cents. -- Greg, K9TLA

Yes however, I am not going to take the time to study and pay for a ham license since I study for a living as a GI student. How many people are on CB v. Ham? The answer may surprise you depending on how many truckers you see in your area :cool: If you look into SSB you will actually find that stations are VERY professional....

Heck even a lot of AM freqs arent that bad - depending on your area... FCC regs still prohibit abuse of the band which may or may not be enforceable depending on various circumstances.

I just dont feel that in this economy that people should have to study and pay money for licenses for a radio that is going to be for emergencies or occasional use. I personally am not that into it lol... I used a digital radio in the military and that was ok lol. If you are really into it - by all means get your ham ... if not, dont worry about it. ;)

Last edited:

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    I just dont feel that in this economy that people should have to study and pay money for licenses for a radio that is going to be for emergencies or occasional use.

License = $14.00 and about a week's worth of evenings taking practice exams can save hundreds of dollars.
    2 meter equipment is the best value right now.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    License = $14.00 and about a week's worth of evenings taking practice exams can save hundreds of dollars.
    2 meter equipment is the best value right now.

Galaxy 979 is going for $150 on Amazon. Not bad for a good quality SSB radio. I spend all my nights studying - even during spring break - I want to have a good GPA while in my Bachelors program and I only have one year to go.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You would might be surprised by how many 4 wheelers run CB's. They are cheap and if you short one out with water oh well. After all they are cheap.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    Galaxy 979 is going for $150 on Amazon. Not bad for a good quality SSB radio. I spend all my nights studying - even during spring break - I want to have a good GPA while in my Bachelors program and I only have one year to go.

I understand agent.
    CB is a good tool to have.
    I just hope you're not believing that a SSB CB is going to be as effective as amateur radio.

The band is also full of yahoos and kids that get great enjoyment out of
    pestering you or walking all over your signal.
    I've even heard some islamic preaching in my AO broadcast over the CB.

The OP was concerned about reliable comms that could replace his cell phone if necessary.
    Many repeaters have a feature called autopatch that links into the landline phone system
    allowing an ham operator to make a phone call from his HT or mobile.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    You would might be surprised by how many 4 wheelers run CB's. They are cheap and if you short one out with water oh well. After all they are cheap.

Ya but most of those are cheap China made POS.... I am taking about an American made radio like Galaxy or a General Lee. I dont mind truckers... my Grandpa was a trucker.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I understand agent.
    CB is a good tool to have.
    I just hope you're not believing that a SSB CB is going to be as effective as amateur radio.

The band is also full of yahoos and kids that get great enjoyment out of
    pestering you or walking all over your signal.
    I've even heard some islamic preaching in my AO broadcast over the CB.

The OP was concerned about reliable comms that could replace his cell phone if necessary.
    Many repeaters have a feature called autopatch that links into the landline phone system
    allowing an ham operator to make a phone call from his HT or mobile.

Well you are absolutely correct in regard to ham radios being vastly superior - that is why they are licensed ... run more power etc. However, they are licensed systems and there are many people at the CB radio talk forum that enjoy their radios plenty. :)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    In my jeep I have a cheap mobile CB, scanner, along with 2 hand held CB's.
    In my F250 I have a quality mobile CB, scanner, and 2 hand held CB's.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    For those that may be following this thread,
    it seems to me that the difficulty of getting a license may
    be overestimated and IMO is one of the reasons most don't attempt.
    It's actually never been easier to get a Tech license.

Here's a story about 10 yr old ham operator:

Alex, a 5th grader, was licensed in October 2008 at the age of 10 and is already involved in recruiting youth and emergency communications.

ARRLWeb: ARRL NEWS: Youth@HamRadio.Fun: A Small Island, a Young Ham and a Whole Lot of Spirit!

swatdoc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Franklin
    Basic radio theory is relevant to the discussion. SSB (Single Side Band) is a fairly effective method of longer-range communication using voice (CB'ers call this 'skip') and has to do with propagation via the ionosphere. AM modulation is also a fairly archaic system limited by transmitting power. In short, more power is 'wasted' on the carrier wave, and less goes into actually modulation of the voice signal. Hence why amateur radio ops seldom use it! SSB puts almost all of the power into the actual transmission of voice. It also introduces a number of other frequencies as band width is reduced and upper vs. lower side-band are both available. As well as 'free-band' frequencies with illegally modified (read: "export") radios.

The parameters of Amplitude Modulation, low power, and frequency (~27Mhz) were likely chosen by the FCC more to limit the effectiveness of long range communication more so than enhance it. When you communicate short range on CB it's via ground-wave propagation. Again, less than ideal, but was this by design? Vertical polarization (e.g. most mobile antennas) also introduce a lot of noise into the reception since most terrestrial noise shares the same polarity. Transmissions are very susceptible to noise from vehicle electrical systems, alternators, computers, etc. Squelch on an AM signal is difficult to achieve. Hence you almost always have a static hiss, or take a chance of missing a weaker transmission. Antennas are very dependent on ground plane. You need a chunk of metal with a solid coupling to ground. The hand-held CB's suffer from this major limitation of antenna length / ground plane and therefore are of very limited range. Recall the old 27mhz 'walkie-talkies' if you grew up in the 60's/70's! Lucky to transmit across the street, let alone your neighborhood.

So what's all this mean? Do I think you should have a CB? Definitely. Should you rely on it as your sole means of commo? Not such a good idea. It has a niche. Ham radio offers much, much more for more reasons than I can recite. But I encourage you to get licensed. It's the only way to become familiar with your gear and test it out prior to really needing it. Would you buy a new tactical rifle and never take it out of the box until the zombie hordes were crossing the front yard?!? Think once again and think hard about taking the test and getting a license. It's not that hard. Hey, I'm a doc and I passed!

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Basic radio theory is relevant to the discussion. SSB (Single Side Band) is a fairly effective method of longer-range communication using voice (CB'ers call this 'skip') and has to do with propagation via the ionosphere. AM modulation is also a fairly archaic system limited by transmitting power. In short, more power is 'wasted' on the carrier wave, and less goes into actually modulation of the voice signal. Hence why amateur radio ops seldom use it! SSB puts almost all of the power into the actual transmission of voice. It also introduces a number of other frequencies as band width is reduced and upper vs. lower side-band are both available. As well as 'free-band' frequencies with illegally modified (read: "export") radios.

The parameters of Amplitude Modulation, low power, and frequency (~27Mhz) were likely chosen by the FCC more to limit the effectiveness of long range communication more so than enhance it. When you communicate short range on CB it's via ground-wave propagation. Again, less than ideal, but was this by design? Vertical polarization (e.g. most mobile antennas) also introduce a lot of noise into the reception since most terrestrial noise shares the same polarity. Transmissions are very susceptible to noise from vehicle electrical systems, alternators, computers, etc. Squelch on an AM signal is difficult to achieve. Hence you almost always have a static hiss, or take a chance of missing a weaker transmission. Antennas are very dependent on ground plane. You need a chunk of metal with a solid coupling to ground. The hand-held CB's suffer from this major limitation of antenna length / ground plane and therefore are of very limited range. Recall the old 27mhz 'walkie-talkies' if you grew up in the 60's/70's! Lucky to transmit across the street, let alone your neighborhood.

So what's all this mean? Do I think you should have a CB? Definitely. Should you rely on it as your sole means of commo? Not such a good idea. It has a niche. Ham radio offers much, much more for more reasons than I can recite. But I encourage you to get licensed. It's the only way to become familiar with your gear and test it out prior to really needing it. Would you buy a new tactical rifle and never take it out of the box until the zombie hordes were crossing the front yard?!? Think once again and think hard about taking the test and getting a license. It's not that hard. Hey, I'm a doc and I passed!
    :+1: Thanks!

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    for what it's worth, The technician ham license, is something my mom passed.

She's an art teacher. Anything electronic, scientific, or even remotely logical qualifies as Magic. Yet she has her license. In California there was a 9 year old who has her Extra Class License. She comes to visit the W9IMS station during the Indy 500 every year as a guest Op. Her brother was 7, and already had his General.

The tests aren't that hard. Don't require much study at all. I went to a ham fest with a friend a few years ago, having never looked at a single piece of study material, and missed the Tech license by 1 question just using common sense.

Take a look at this link: Become a Ham | W9ZEB Dot Org

It's really not difficult, and certainly (at least from a licensing stand point) not expensive.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    My problem with the license is not the difficulty of the test or my lack of knowledge. It is there just is not enough hours in the day right now. :D

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I should be learning to speak Pashtu in the time I am cruising INGO... :D

Ok actually I just don't need another bottomless pit to though my money into. I already own guns and a CJ. Not to mention the wife...

Well I have guns and a wife and an XJ, oh maybe that's why I have More money/fewer repairs;) Seriously, I'd like to gently encourage all to get their license, and it's good for 10 years. And a radio for $100-130 mobile or HT in 2 meter, and your good to go for most stuff. Even if you just get the license, in a situation you could borrow a radio and be legal. Of course having friends that relentlessly hassle you to get a license, well that helps a lot...sometimes you just have to "cowboy the f**K up and do it!"

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    What kind of range can I get with about a 65 watt mobile unit 2 meter used as a base with a good antenna and good coax, simplex, repeaters, and ssb? Antenna will be about 25-30 ft high.

Last edited:

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    What kind of range can I get with about a 65 watt mobile unit 2 meter used as a base with a good antenna and good coax, simplex, repeaters, and ssb? Antenna will be about 25-30 ft high.

You'll have to define "good antenna".

You won't need 65 watts to use the local repeaters.

At that height you should be able to "work" some distant repeaters.
    For the most part, 2 meter is considered line-of-sight,
    so the horizon or terrain are the limits to distance.
    You might want to use 2 antennas since it's a base station.
    A good omni for local low-power use and
    a rotatable directional to see just how far out you could get.

I've never used 2 meter SSB.

Top Bottom