• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What is the proper way to sell a gun to an individual in Indiana?
    Is there paperwork that needs to be filled out ?
    The guns are registered to me.
    Welcome to INGO. First, there is no gun registry, so your guns aren't really "registered" to you. No paperwork required as long as it's in state. You must not have reason to believe that the buyer is a non-proper person (unable to legally own a firearm). If it's a handgun, the buyer must be 18 or older. No restrictions on long guns (assuming they're not class III weapons).

Some folks ask to see a driver's license to prove residency. Some folks ask to see a LTCH to insure that the other person is a proper person. Neither of these things are required. If you are really nervous about it, you can always meet at an FFL and have them do a transfer, but that will put off some buyers if they don't want a paper trail. Doesn't make them a bad person or anything if that's the case. Just a personal preference.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The law states that as long as you have no reason to believe the person you are selling to is a prohibited person, you are in the clear. Nothing else is required.

Also in Indiana, your guns are not registered. The only paper trail is your name on the 4473 at the FFL you purchased it at. That is not a registration.

Now some folks will ask to see a person's Indiana License to Carry. If the buyer has one, chances are they aren't a prohibited person. Others will do a bill of sale. It's more peace of mind than anything.

Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    The other posters covered the legality, but on the more practical end, I've found that meeting somewhere close to/across the street from something like a police or fire station will weed out bad intentioned buyers. If they're not comfortable doing the transaction in the parking lot across the street from the police station, they might not be a "proper person". Since we have no access to the NICS system as regular people we really have no way of knowing for sure if someone is a prohibited person. Little things like that can help you weed out the potential problems.

Cork74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Griffith
    Many good answers here.
    From a personal experience , ask to meet at a mutually agreed upon FFL's place of business (store) and do the transfer to new owner (they pay for transfer).
    In the event an infraction of some kind the paper trail comes back to the transferred owners name , Not yours !
    It happened to me ---it could happen to you as well

Cork74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Griffith
    For those wanting further explanation , I'm not able to do so as it involves an ongoing case from ~ 3 yrs. ago in which I am a Target .
    I've been instructed by an attorney not to discuss same.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    When selling, the magic of INGO is that you can research the potential buyers post history here on the forum.

Also the potential buyer's purchasing/selling history as reported in their feedback stats.

You cannot beat this sort of information when dealing with local transactions. Most times you can eliminate most questions, sometimes all questions. You can also be confident that you are dealing with a seasoned and safe individual, knowing there are no worries when making your trade.

:twocents:

:ingo:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Many good answers here.
    From a personal experience , ask to meet at a mutually agreed upon FFL's place of business (store) and do the transfer to new owner (they pay for transfer).
    In the event an infraction of some kind the paper trail comes back to the transferred owners name , Not yours !
    For those wanting further explanation , I'm not able to do so as it involves an ongoing case from ~ 3 yrs. ago in which I am a Target .
    I've been instructed by an attorney not to discuss same.
    It's entirely possible that this might work, if you are willing to take a noticeable loss on your sale.

If you can make the deal good enough, you might well get a taker. However, for a market priced firearm, most seasoned purchasers will opt for less hassle and unnecessary paperwork.

No knock on you or your preferences, my friend. Just being realistic from long time study of this topic here on INGO.

:ingo:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Many good answers here.
    When I sold my first gun I inquired about this at both Blythe's in Valpo and at Shoot Point Blank in Merrillville and was told that they do not do private transfers. So, if you want the buyer to do a 4473 make sure that the FFL is willing to and check the fees.

My understanding is that while it is legal for an FFL to do this type of transfer they are not required to provide this service.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    When I sold my first gun I inquired about this at both Blythe's in Valpo and at Shoot Point Blank in Merrillville and was told that they do not do private transfers. So, if you want the buyer to do a 4473 make sure that the FFL is willing to and check the fees.

My understanding is that while it is legal for an FFL to do this type of transfer they are not required to provide this service.
    I'm surprised by the reluctance of the ffl guys. I've bought both via ffl and private citizen. Typically the private citizen purchases were for the discounted asking price. Also, not a fact just my understanding, the price an ffl can charge for transfer is unlimited. One might charge $25 and another might charge $100 (theoretically). So if you go the ffl route, call to ask before you meet.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm surprised by the reluctance of the ffl guys. I've bought both via ffl and private citizen. Typically the private citizen purchases were for the discounted asking price. Also, not a fact just my understanding, the price an ffl can charge for transfer is unlimited. One might charge $25 and another might charge $100 (theoretically). So if you go the ffl route, call to ask before you meet.
    THIS. Indiana Gun Club has two prices for 3rd party transfers. $25 if they dont carry the gun, $50 if they do. I presume they are trying to take the deal out of using them just for the transfer when they could have sold you the same thing. I'd probably do the same.

bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    THIS. Indiana Gun Club has two prices for 3rd party transfers. $25 if they dont carry the gun, $50 if they do. I presume they are trying to take the deal out of using them just for the transfer when they could have sold you the same thing. I'd probably do the same.
    One of the many reasons I don't use FFL for a private sale. Just imagine if they ever pass universal background checks, it'll be $100 everywhere because it's mandatory.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    One of the many reasons I don't use FFL for a private sale. Just imagine if they ever pass universal background checks, it'll be $100 everywhere because it's mandatory.
    Maybe at first. But there will always be THAT shop that is willing to undercut the competition to get more business.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    The legalities have been stated but I'll add this. If you place an ad, make sure you state the terms of your sale.

Make it known if you want to see LTCH or want a bill of sale or both. If you want it to be "transfered" be sure to state so and who will cover that cost. If you want to see a valid Indiana ID state that. Etc.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Never go in a man's house to complete the transaction, or invite him into yours. We have a couple of pretty notorious apartment complexes in my town, and it is fairly often that you hear about someone getting assaulted or robbed buying or selling items on facebook marketplace or craigslist. I like to have a buddy around, preferably one prepared to survive.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    There is no such thing as registration in Indiana.

The "proper" way under current law is "it's your property and you can sell it how you want to who you want, as long as you don't know for a fact they are prohibited".

A lot of people around here ask to see an IN driver's license and handgun carry license. This at least proves the buyer didn't drive in from Chiraq and is able to pass a background check. Some ask for bills of sale so they personally have a record of the gun leaving their possession if anyone comes asking. None of this is legally required.

The LTCH is a reasonable ask because virtually everyone here already has one and they're cheap and easy to get in Indiana.

bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    There is no such thing as registration in Indiana.

The "proper" way under current law is "it's your property and you can sell it how you want to who you want, as long as you don't know for a fact they are prohibited".

A lot of people around here ask to see an IN driver's license and handgun carry license. This at least proves the buyer didn't drive in from Chiraq and is able to pass a background check. Some ask for bills of sale so they personally have a record of the gun leaving their possession if anyone comes asking. None of this is legally required.

The LTCH is a reasonable ask because virtually everyone here already has one and they're cheap and easy to get in Indiana.
    I've found there is a voluntary registration you can do in Indiana, I believe through the state police.

Top Bottom