• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    I am a college student who hopes to go into Law Enforcement after graduating in a little over a year. I would like to get some experience before I graduate in order to know what it is really like, and was wondering which local (central Indy) departments have a Ride-along program.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Pretty much all of them except for ISP have ride-a-long programs. It is just a matter of going to the local district HQ and filling out a waiver.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    I'm guessing the answer to this is a resounding "no", but does the host department allow you to carry? (after the background checks and all that?)

J D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Fishers In
    I'm guessing the answer to this is a resounding "no", but does the host department allow you to carry? (after the background checks and all that?)

You guessed right. It would probably be overlooked if you are an officer from another jurisdiction but I doubt most would allow licensed carry.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Correct, our general orders only allow LEO's to carry on a ride along. However, it is not unusual for the officer to make the rider (especially if they know him/her) aware of the location of the back-up pistols, and the shotgun. That way they can grab one if the SHTF and take care of business. The rider will have access to something if needed.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    OP, you may have to look outside the 465 loop, but have you considered a reserve program? There's lots of experience to be had that way..

Top Bottom