• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I didn't read all that because it's honestly not that complicated.

I want to post something about my firearm in a "for sale" thread.

Has it been more than 24 hours: I can post and bump.
    Has it been less than 24 hours: I can *still* add the information via EDITING THE ORIGINAL POST.

If I'm a buyer and have a question:
    Send a PM.

Simple.

As for the OP and his gun day trader blog, why not just start ONE thread on the topic instead of a topic per gun? The people who are interested in following your buy/sell/swap activity can post in that ONE thread and the forum isn't cluttered up with a thread for every single transaction you made, thought about making, might make, have considering considering making, etc.

1. Brilliant idea, but I'd be afraid to do that now since I know I'm being watched carefully for my next flub. :lmfao:
    2. I want to stay under the radar, till I am forgotten about before my next mistake. :laugh:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I would like clarification about the title above.
    I could have just pmmed a moderator but I'm afraid I'll be beaten:bat: if I bother him anymore (all humor intended). :laugh:
    I have read the rules about the same :rules: and have gotten slapped :stickpoke:, rightfullly so, for posting info on a "for sale" thread in the classifieds.
    But, I understand that when I do the 24 hour "bump" I can write as much as I like instead of just the word, "bump," or some other code (TTL).
    I have been told this but I'm insecure and afraid for another violation if I make another mistake in my stupidity of application of rule-keeping. :wallbash:

Also, I have gotten into trouble for starting a thread processing about the selling of a gun/guns, which is not allowed and I had no idea. :dunno:
    It is OK to ask/process about buying a gun and asking anything, but when selling there are limits (which I want to comply with, b/c despite of my infractions, it was ignorance, and I am a rule-keeper, despite my performance here on this site. :scratch:

For example:
    a. I have the above question about processing as much as I want every 24 hrs. in the "bump" in the Classifieds (I want verification that is OK so I don't get banned :dunno:).
    b. After you sell a gun, is it OK to have a thread about selling it (I love the storyline/people part of it)?
    I know I can't run a thread about selling a gun during the time of the sale (double-dipping, trying to get around the ban about posting in the Classifieds, of which I am guilty: I thought I'd found a "legal" loophole = WRONG! :ugh:

Please have mercy on me in my quest to find the boundaries that are acceptable.
    I have thought of refraining my incessant posting just to avoid any other issues/infractions.
    I have soooo much fun here, learning here (a newb since last May), and feel like I've made some friends, which is a treat when you get to be old :fogey: and so many of your old friends have moved and you don't like any of your new friends much. :lol2: (I just can't help myself with my dry eclectic outlier humor, which gets lost in print: which would explain why I don't have any new friends (there I go again!!! :dunno:).

And, let me add, I have been treated with mercy and grace with instructions and warnings (along with the occasional infraction) in my "floundering" on the site, and I appreciate the patience I've been shown.
    I realize my "open" style of communicating is an acquired taste, with my humor and long way of saying the most simple of things.

Got to get ready for church now where I can openly confess my sins and repent, even been thinking of getting re-baptized to make sure I'm accepted by God and and country and INGO. (really dry humor for the religious :rofl:)

shut_up.gif

:):
    :cheers:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Follow up question for clarification:
    I know you can't have a thread about the story of selling a gun.
    But, after the gun is sold, is it OK to have a thread where you tell that story, since it is not ongoing, being sold.

I'd love to be able to tell who bought it, especially if a member here bought it.

Or, do I have to put that in original "For Sale" ad (not a bump).

But if I do that, when people hover their mouse over the title, they would see that it's been marked sold and not open it to see if I have wrote anything, and I would have closed the thread after being sold, and I could get anyone's feedback.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I don't know if it's necessary to have a follow up post to a sold gun. You'd have 50 posts based on your constant selling.

1. I have had 2 people suggest (1 recently and 1 weeks ago) that I have 1 thread that processes any and all information about my buying and selling.
    2. Sounded reasonable to me, but I'm afraid to do anything at this point.
    3. It could be called: "Running Dialogue of Guns," or "My Guns: Range Time/Buying/Selling"
    4. Just the one ongoing thread.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. I have had 2 people suggest (1 recently and 1 weeks ago) that I have 1 thread that processes any and all information about my buying and selling.
    2. Sounded reasonable to me, but I'm afraid to do anything at this point.
    3. It could be called: "Running Dialogue of Guns," or "My Guns: Range Time/Buying/Selling"
    4. Just the one ongoing thread.

One thread is the way to go, and title individual posts when they relate to something significant like "Sold xxx today, or Bought xxx today" (you can title an individual post in the Go Advanced when replying to a thread). Just keep a single running thread. Folks who care can subscribe if they want to be notified of updates to it, etc. Others can tune it out. Seems reasonable to me. Only talk about selling a particular gun after it is sold (if you feel the need) and not during the sale as that bypasses the classifieds rules.

Also, most are more interested in the range review than the chronicling of the sale process.

Then, when you have something that is stand alone not relating to your hunt for the perfect xxx, you can post a completely separate thread.

That should also save you the need to retype a lot if history about each gun which you seem to do every time you mention it in passing.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Op, I have to say that I probably won't sell you a gun or buy one from you. I really don't like my transactions being made available to the entire membership on this forum.

My transactions are between me and the buyer/seller.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Op, I have to say that I probably won't sell you a gun or buy one from you. I really don't like my transactions being made available to the entire membership on this forum.

Bingo

I would have considered (and did) that Taurus tracker in .22 Mag but nope. I will pass.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

:+1:

Thank you! Maximum rep added!

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Bingo

I would have considered (and did) that Taurus tracker in .22 Mag but nope. I will pass.

Agreed with both of you... I try to keep things relatively close on transactions. I do tend to leave feedback in iTrader, so there is that (which leaves some trail), but I'm not discussing every aspect of a 2 sided private transaction on the wider forum.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Something else to keep in mind. The ATF does monitor this and other forums. I am not clear on how many private sales they see as normal and what mark you need to eclipse to throw up red flags. If any.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. I have always asked each person if it's OK to mention their name. I understand about confidentiality. I know most people aren't as open with their lives as I.
    2. You will notice that I didn't mention the name of the person who bought my Nano from this forum, b/c I forgot to ask him it is was OK, so I didn't.
    3. If you really knew me, not the persona of myself on this public forum for entertainment: I would never divulge another's privacy.
    4. Believe it or not, I am more than the sum of the person on this forum where I go to relax and have fun like a kid: I have a real life where keeping the secrets of people is something I've been doing for decades, things more personal and private and significant than what gun and how much it cost.
    5. Character is above all.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Something else to keep in mind. The ATF does monitor this and other forums. I am not clear on how many private sales they see as normal and what mark you need to eclipse to throw up red flags. If any.

Agreed... especially with all the discussion of bought for x $ and sold for y $ ... though I think if they get to that level there should be a few folks setting up tables every weekend at some of the shows getting looked at first, but agreed, they are out there and Op likes to keep his running "FFL log book" on public forum :tinfoil:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    One thread is the way to go, and title individual posts when they relate to something significant like "Sold xxx today, or Bought xxx today" (you can title an individual post in the Go Advanced when replying to a thread). Just keep a single running thread. Folks who care can subscribe if they want to be notified of updates to it, etc. Others can tune it out. Seems reasonable to me. Only talk about selling a particular gun after it is sold (if you feel the need) and not during the sale as that bypasses the classifieds rules.

Also, most are more interested in the range review than the chronicling of the sale process.

Then, when you have something that is stand alone not relating to your hunt for the perfect xxx, you can post a completely separate thread.

That should also save you the need to retype a lot if history about each gun which you seem to do every time you mention it in passing.

1. Appreciate the reality feedback: it gives me much to think about. I should be rethinking my approach to this site, of which has provided so much entertainment for me. My style is to think everyone is a friend and act accordingly, but that can put people off.
    2. Based on the negative feedback I'm getting, it would seem best for me to stop my approach to my free-wheeling threads.
    3. There are people here who I recognize and respect who have given me much to think about and I need to pull back b/c as opposed to being entertaining and fun: I am irritating people, which gives me pause and takes the joy out of it.
    4. Life is too short and the clock is ticking and is one of the reasons I pursued this hobby once again after walking away from it for 3 decades.
    5. Thanks Web, for your input! I have been naive and too open for a public thread. I can only blame myself for what I have brought upon me by my communication style. I am an acquired taste, and I know people either love me or are annoyed by me.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. Appreciate the reality feedback: it gives me much to think about. I should be rethinking my approach to this site, of which has provided so much entertainment for me. My style is to think everyone is a friend and act accordingly, but that can put people off.
    2. Based on the negative feedback I'm getting, it would seem best for me to stop my approach to my free-wheeling threads.
    3. There are people here who I recognize and respect who have given me much to think about and I need to pull back b/c as opposed to being entertaining and fun: I am irritating people, which gives me pause and takes the joy out of it.
    4. Life is too short and the clock is ticking and is one of the reasons I pursued this hobby once again after walking away from it for 3 decades.
    5. Thanks Web, for your input! I have been naive and too open for a public thread. I can only blame myself for what I have brought upon me by my communication style. I am an acquired taste, and I know people either love me or are annoyed by me.

There is value to be had for many of us from the gamut of guns you try out. We won't be getting any torture tests or longevity tests out of you, that is clear, but getting impressions from someone like yourself with a fresh pair of eyes, somewhat less cynical than many of us can be helpful.

I think that is why some of us are trying to give you some constructive feedback vs just putting you on the ignore list.

You can take the advice or not, that is your prerogative, but I think there are folks here who do want to get something from what you post, just giving you some pointers on how we think that can be best achieved. I'm guessing most of us just aren't as verbose and extroverted as you tend to be.

Hope that helps a bit.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    There is value to be had for many of us from the gamut of guns you try out. We won't be getting any torture tests or longevity tests out of you, that is clear, but getting impressions from someone like yourself with a fresh pair of eyes, somewhat less cynical than many of us can be helpful.

I think that is why some of us are trying to give you some constructive feedback vs just putting you on the ignore list.

You can take the advice or not, that is your prerogative, but I think there are folks here who do want to get something from what you post, just giving you some pointers on how we think that can be best achieved. I'm guessing most of us just aren't as verbose and extroverted as you tend to be.

Hope that helps a bit.

i agree. I enjoy reading about your finds and your impressions of the various firearms you buy and sell.

Top Bottom