Questions about accessing Vehicle Accident Reports, as a potential buyer.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    We are looking at purchasing a used vehicle, and the Carfax report shows that 2 accidents were reported with no airbag deployment in either case (one in Carmel and one in Fishers). There is a link to a site that allows you to purchase the accident reports, but had a couple of questions for those that may have had experience with this.

1. Has anyone had experience with these sites, and is the information more useful than the general description given by Carfax? Suggested website?
    2. I have the accident report numbers, so is there another option for getting the records? No luck looking on Hamiliton County website, so am I missing something?

I don't mind paying the fee to get the report, but only if it has some value. I also don't want to pass on the vehicle if the accidents were fairly minor, and no frame damage.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    If you are really serious about buying this car I would suggest taking it to a reputable collision center and have them look at the car for you. The report is only going to tell you what was supposed to be repaired. That report doesn't tell you whether or not those repairs were made or if they were made properly. Also consider you may be OK with the repairs but what if you go to sell it and your new buyers aren't, might be hard to resell. Not that you asked but I wouldn't pay the same price for a previously damaged vehicle as one that hasn't ever been damaged. Might ask for previous owners phone number and give them a call, I've done this.

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    Thanks. All good points, and I really didn't think about the quality of the repair. I thought I would be able to look at body lines, gaps and any signs of creases or stress, but I would be kidding myself if I thought I could spot anything that wasn't obvious.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Accident reports will only show location of crash, generalized area of collision on the vehicle, and driver info. IMHO it'd be a waste of money as far as determining what was repaired and if it was done properly.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks. All good points, and I really didn't think about the quality of the repair. I thought I would be able to look at body lines, gaps and any signs of creases or stress, but I would be kidding myself if I thought I could spot anything that wasn't obvious.

Might want to reconsider unless you have someone that can actually look the car over and find any faults left by shoddy repairs.
    If it was hit hard either time there is the possibility it will become a rattler with some miles.

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    That helps. Carfax gives a decent general report (right fender damage, right side damage, no airbag deployment, vehicle towed), which sounds like that would be the extent of the accident report. Glad I asked, and thanks again for the info.

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    I agree it may not be the right one for us, but it's more of a toy, than a family car. However, if it rattles, I will go insane.

Dumb question: This was sold by one of the bigger dealerships, post accidents, a while back. Are they required to check the vehicle's integrity, once they know there is an accident? I ask because this vehicle is not real close to me, and taking it to a body guy isn't likely an option. I don't want to pass on the opportunity, if I can find a reason it should be fine.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Dealers buy at Auction or acquire Trade In's. They are more concerned by outward appearances more than History/Integrity. A friend purchased a vintage Mustang at the Auburn Auction about 10 years ago. It's outward appearance was stunning at that time, it looked Showroom new. Fast forward 2 years it was about 50% Bondo. If its been in 2 accidents it may have been $500.00 Damage or $5000.00, each time. Don't pay anywhere near Retail, it's called Diminished Value (Google that). NADA Website will give you Parameters for the Cars value. Most insurance companies use this for payouts on Totals.

indybrownsfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Mooresville
    I would recommend on any used car purchase....Get the car inspected at your local auto repair shop...Some cars can have crash damage that wont be reported to Carfax.
    Not every repair is posted to Carfax...some shops are cash repair and don't report to Carfax.
    Plus let alone crash damage it is always good to have the car put on a lift and check for loose suspension parts ..oil leaks etc.
    30 years in the car repair world I have seen a lot...Good luck on your purchase.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Was looking at a nice car last week, Carfax said it had been totaled by an insurance company. It was a good deal but I passed on it, banks have difficulty loaning money on salvage title cars and there's issues with insurance. The icing on that cake was Mecum putting a red sticker on salvage cars.

Top Bottom