• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Ok guys, bare with me I am a new guy :rockwoot:so I decided I was gonna build me an AR, everything has gone pretty smooth \, I picked up a stripped lower for $125 LPK for $60, dropped a hundred on a stock picked up some p-mag's and so on. It all went together real nice, no scratches or anything silly,
    found a real nice guy on the forum here, dropped 550 on a complete 16" a3m4 upper. I had a chargeing handle my cousin got me for christmas "found out its wrong and its for a 308. but it cost more than what i need hope I can return it.....all this is done, now I'm just comeing up with the last little bit for my Young Man. N/M - BCG.....
    OK so now this is my question .... the upper I got is obviously brand new and so if there is a problem, it is obviously no fault of seller...
    my heat shield appears to be on just slightly crooked,
    what I am guessing is the "gas chargeing tube???" its silver" that go's through the handguard and inside of the upper and appears that it would go through the hole in the end of the chargeing handle.
    it appears to be sticking into my upper a bit crooked.
    any one that can tell me anything about this??? it could be normal for all I know, as I say, I am fairly uneducated on the subject.
    anything anyone can tell me would be much appreciated.. If picks would help just let me know I will figure out how to get some on here.
    Thanx, Will :ar15:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    my heat shield appears to be on just slightly crooked,

By that, do you mean the handguards themselves, or the silver sheet metal heat shield inside each handguard half?

what I am guessing is the "gas chargeing tube???" its silver" that go's through the handguard and inside of the upper and appears that it would go through the hole in the end of the chargeing handle.

It's called the gas tube, but yes.

it appears to be sticking into my upper a bit crooked.

Do the charging handle and bolt carrier move freely and lock up smoothly, or is there a lot of resistance that would indicate that the gas tube is rubbing the charging handle or carrier key (the spigot-looking piece on top of the bolt carrier) excessively?

If there is excessive contact, it could lead to premature parts wear and/or cycling problems. A canted gas tube is usually the result of the "teeth" of the barrel nut not being correctly aligned with the gas tube hole in the upper receiver, though it could also be the result of a slightly canted front sight base/gas block, as well. Either way, it's not that big a deal for someone who knows what they are doing to diagnose and correct.

Hopefully another member from the South Bend area can help you out if necessary.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I meant the handguard itself is crooked,, sorry for the mixup,
    thanks for the info. was not sure on name of anything.
    I have not taken the upper apart whatsoever to see actual heatshield
    at this time I have not gotten my BCG hope it will be within the week, I was just doing a visual inspection. and noticed.
    I appreciate the knowledge, It makes me feel better just to hear its not a big ordeal either way.
    someone in the area would be excellent
    Thanx again for the help, Will

bdwarr6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    I meant the handguard itself is crooked,, sorry for the mixup,
    thanks for the info. was not sure on name of anything.
    I have not taken the upper apart whatsoever to see actual heatshield
    at this time I have not gotten my BCG hope it will be within the week, I was just doing a visual inspection. and noticed.
    I appreciate the knowledge, It makes me feel better just to hear its not a big ordeal either way.
    someone in the area would be excellent
    Thanx again for the help, Will

Can you post some pictures of it?

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Sorry it took so long, first time posting pics in a while on the computer.
    2rgm3kk.jpg

ndwtbl.jpg

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Also forgot to update what action I took,
    There was no gunsmiths in the phone book so I talked to the big local place "midwest" got ahold of a guy in Elkhart. Real nice older guy.
    So he said 15-20 bucks to fix it, which is great right now because my sails are loseing wind. Plus he said he is going to do a couple other things for me haveing to do with a lead bore test and such, but I am not going to sit here and try to sound like I know what I am talking about.
    He was a real nice fellow and I felt comfortable that it is in good hands. He thought at first that I was just wanting the gas tube straight. I figured it was the "dumass test" so I was almost releaved when he agread it was incorrect.
    any way like I said I feel better all together about the whole gun now that it has been looked at by someone that knows what they are doing, being as my own is the first one I'v ever really had the chance to see up close =)

Top Bottom