• ...and so much more!
  • SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Nah....

I am the Guard now. Just on my Dwell Time 1 more year to go before I am thrown back into the deployment pool. I can retire I have my 20+ in, just not sure I am ready to leave them yet or not... :dunno:
    TAKE YOUR TIME, USUALLY, once ret., it is VERY difficult to reenter .....

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Man I am glad to hear I am not the only one...

About every 4-6 months I start wanting to be back in the Suck. I miss the random Mortars, Rockets, and the not knowing if this trip down this road will be my turn to find the IED again. The occasional zip or zing of a round near me. The whistle of an A-10 rolling in hot right before he burps a burst of flowers on someone. The gentle thump of Blackhawks, Chinooks, or Apaches fluttering around overhead. The whine and clatter of an M1 cruising nearby. The Troops in my Team/Squad/Platoon/ Company.

Some of the best people I have ever met in my life.

What do you mean by "my turn to find the IED again"?

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    Yes I too do miss it, I tried to do a deployment in Iraq and was told no by the INARNG. They said "you have been, we are going to send some MP's who have not been instead" It was a easyjob in the green zone doing garrison work. I would have been doing the same thing, traffic accident investigation, as I was doing at Atterbury.

Here is what I don't want anymore though, my Drill weeked that's a waste of two frickin days...I don't do anything....

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I always wonder if I'm the only one. I miss it every now and then, but it used to be really bad. I miss my soldiers the most. It just felt like I mattered more, there. Out here, they get what they can get out of you and throw you away.

THIS ^ !!!!

Yes. There are moments.....but after being out over 20 years now they are farther and farther apart.

And this .

My heart still screams HELL YEAH , HOOAHH !!! but my ass says sit down stupid before you hurt yourself . :patriot:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    What do you mean by "my turn to find the IED again"?

There are some stretches of road that you KNOW you will be hit. Its not a matter of IF an ied will go off but a matter of WHEN. whose vehicle will get hit is anybodies guess. Its a huge adrenaline dump because the whole time you are just staring and staring trying to find it before it finds you, but more often than not, it finds you. More often than not its the fist vehicle that gets hit, so you rotate that spot out to keep one fire team from absorbing ALL the stress. Acording to my arcom i lead 63 combat patrols as the lead gun truck :ar15:

I do miss the suck, but i ruptured my eardrums to many times i dont think i could get back in if i wanted to.

Plus, i still get some suck from the fire department. Big 2nd alarm fires where you work your ass off as hard as you can for a few hours straight, only to be exhausted w/ no sleep to go back out and do it again. NOTHING compared to the military though.

I think i miss it the most when i see that yet another soldier has been killed. It hits me real hard and i get a lonely feeling because i know the "suck" they were going through the weeks or months before they were killed. You feel bad, but at the same time you wish you could go back into the suck to try and do right by them. A challenging conversation when the wife asks you why you are in a funk. Still have not been able to explain to her ANY of those emotions. Its one of those things that until you have been there, you will never know what its like... some guys w/ 30 years in the military who have never been in the suck cannot even imagine the feelings, yet they will try and talk like they understand it. Makes it kinda easy to see who is bull****tin and who is legit.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have two nephews that were in Iraq and are now out on disability. I did not expect the answer I got when I asked them if they would go back if they could. The answer was affirmative.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Like so many others, yes I do miss it. Also like most others, not the political BS, but the camaraderie, the sense of purpose or doing something important and making a difference, definitely the adrenaline rushes and the combat as well, at least for me. I met a lot of damn good people I had the honor and pleasure to fight beside and serve with.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My wife divorced me in 1987. I called the Navy. I wanted to get into the Sea Bees. The only position for Officers open at that time was for Weapon System Officers onboard a Destroyer. Since my Sea Duty was always on a Carrier, I didn't think I could take such a small ship. I didn't think I could pass the physical either. Agent Orange was already attacking my body at that time.

Yes I miss the Navy to this very day.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I have two nephews that were in Iraq and are now out on disability. I did not expect the answer I got when I asked them if they would go back if they could. The answer was affirmative.

From most of the injured that I had seen at Walter Reed, and my time in the Army, almost all of them, said that they would do it again, and wanted to get better to go back. We have a lot of Heroes in this nation still, and I am honored that I have been able to work with some myself. I am hoping that I will be well enough soon to get back into the Army again. Well, Im still in, but back out of the Warrior Transition Unit anyway and back to a real Army unit. :patriot:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If I hadn't been married and a father, I would have volunteered for another tour. Besides the moments of excitement, combat was the most I've ever really felt a part of something bigger, appreciated my fellow soldiers and the job they did and it was returned. I knew a guy who had been a cop, quit and got back in. He said, "Every time I heard a siren, I wanted to know what's going on!"

Top Bottom