• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Am I the only one that misses the Suck?!

I have spent the last week looking at Deployments or Contractor Jobs to take me back into the Suck. Not sure why either... :dunno:

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    I went through a period like this too. I hate to tell you that it lasted for almost two years and that if it were not for a wife and a child I probably would have gone back. I think it was mainly boredom if you will or,lack of excitement,not sure. I just know that what I felt and experienced while serving with my unit in Viet Nam that nothing since has ever been as exhilarating. Nor have I since experienced such a sense of accomplishment.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I'm not a combat vet, but I've had plenty of deployments to disaster scenes. I miss it too because while you are there you have a clear mission and goals and people seem to just work together so much more efficiently, even in the midst of chaos.

I don't miss the politics and bureaucratic BS though. I have enough of that with SAR.

25mux

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    Anderson, IN
    I feel the exact same way. I think it has to do with constantly having a goal. Hopefully you can find something to relatively compare. Those contractor jobs are kinda scarce these days

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I think we all miss it sometimes. Life is easy, clear cut, and purpose filled. After my fist deployment I did the contractor thing for awhile (awesome $$) and I loved it. Married with kids though, so can't stay away to long!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Am I the only one that misses the Suck?!

I have spent the last week looking at Deployments or Contractor Jobs to take me back into the Suck. Not sure why either... :dunno:

My nephew was the same way. Unlike Vince, with a wife and kids he did go back (to AssCrackistan) as contract work (8 months, I think).
    He said it was for the really good money (and I'm sure that was a big part), but he's the type that can't really be suburbanfied after that.

He just got home a few weeks ago, but I don't doubt he'll be looking for a way to go right back. Some guys just do.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I always wonder if I'm the only one. I miss it every now and then, but it used to be really bad. I miss my soldiers the most. It just felt like I mattered more, there. Out here, they get what they can get out of you and throw you away.

Hkfiend

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    in the Ford Galaxy
    I feel it everyday. It's been close to two years since I got out, but I still miss it. The only thing that keeps me from going back is the fact that after 10 years in my body was falling apart and the whole thing about WAITING 90% OF THE TIME :)

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I got out in 2001, went back in, in 2003. So, yep, guess i missed it way too much as well. Still in.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I always wonder if I'm the only one. I miss it every now and then, but it used to be really bad. I miss my soldiers the most. It just felt like I mattered more, there. Out here, they get what they can get out of you and throw you away.
    ^^^^^ YES, THIS ^^^^^:yesway:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Has been my experience, the used up and thrown away part.
    I am not a vet but have discussed this at great length with both my uncles. One passed last winter and he still spoke of those things. He really missed the structured/disciplined life. The younger of the 2 is still with us but he is ill and time is short. He misses it as well. I can only imagine it through their eyes. I do understand.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Man I am glad to hear I am not the only one...

About every 4-6 months I start wanting to be back in the Suck. I miss the random Mortars, Rockets, and the not knowing if this trip down this road will be my turn to find the IED again. The occasional zip or zing of a round near me. The whistle of an A-10 rolling in hot right before he burps a burst of flowers on someone. The gentle thump of Blackhawks, Chinooks, or Apaches fluttering around overhead. The whine and clatter of an M1 cruising nearby. The Troops in my Team/Squad/Platoon/ Company.

Some of the best people I have ever met in my life.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Man I am glad to hear I am not the only one...

About every 4-6 months I start wanting to be back in the Suck. I miss the random Mortars, Rockets, and the not knowing if this trip down this road will be my turn to find the IED again. The occasional zip or zing of a round near me. The whistle of an A-10 rolling in hot right before he burps a burst of flowers on someone. The gentle thump of Blackhawks, Chinooks, or Apaches fluttering around overhead. The whine and clatter of an M1 cruising nearby. The Troops in my Team/Squad/Platoon/ Company.

Some of the best people I have ever met in my life.
    I guess, I'll ask, did YOU retire ?????

Top Bottom