• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • renegade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    IN
    I have wondered if any of you ladies out there have ever dated a guy who was anti gun and how did you deal with it? I have known guys that had this problem and had to deal with it but wondered because of the whole stereotype thing about men and guns.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    This probably doesn't count, but I'll toss it in anyway.
    I married one. Admittedly, I was paddling the same boat at the time. He wasn't always that way, in fact he had a Marlin 60 and a couple of air guns from his childhood. Somewhere between going into the service and meeting me, he not only lost interest, but took the other road.
    Along the way, I'm the one who picked up the interest and started gathering info, taking classes, and buying stuff. It was a point of great contention for a very long time.
    Now he has a permit and has gone through a couple training sessions, but I doubt he'll ever carry.
    I admit I really dropped the ball with my kid by not "finding" this in myself sooner.
    She was programmed since she was little..."we don't play guns, guns are bad, yada yada anti-speak yada" and undoing all the crap I fed her has been daunting...but worth it. Now she asks me to take her shooting and she's big on Constitutional rights, especially the 1st & 2nd...in that order. Don't worry, I'm still working on that.
    As far as the hubby, he doesn't ever suggest going shooting and sometimes it's hard to drag him along, but he goes when I bi...uh..."complain" enough.
    Thing is...he's a good shot so you'd think he'd want to go more often...not so.
    Anyhow, that's my weirdo confessional two cents for the day.:twocents:

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    My husband, the deputy, is very bad about carrying when he is off duty. Most of the time I am the only one armed when we go out. I don't get it. He sure isn't an anti, maybe just because he has to carry when he is on duty and the belt is heavy he just relaxes and leaves our defense to me.

I dated a guy for a short while in between marriages that was not so much anti as just disinterested. As time went by there were other issues that showed me that I was the macho one in the relationship. Can't deal with that, have to have a man as strong as I am or I will just run over him and then all respect for him is gone.

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    Date a man who is anti-gun? Like Obama? Nope I can't figure it. My man has to have a 12 gauge by the bed and be able to shoot a bird or mammal for dinner every now and then.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Date a man who is anti-gun? Like Obama? Nope I can't figure it. My man has to have a 12 gauge by the bed and be able to shoot a bird or mammal for dinner every now and then.

You are in a target-rich environment if you ever need to trade your current model! :D

I dated an 'anti' for awhile. He had no real reason, just thought guns should be regulated strictly. But no 'bad experience' or anything. Screeching democrat, though. We had fun for awhile, so the anti thing didn't really bother me....but then my birthday came and I wanted to go to the range. He wouldn't go with me. Argh. I also felt kind of odd when at his house, bc out of respect, I would leave my carry piece in my jeep...so felt kind of weird about that. Anyway, it was fun while it lasted, but not fun enough, and sure didnt last that long.

csnoski

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, he wasn't a boyfriend, but the first time I had his 2 sons (8 & 10) over for a wknd, took them out in the yard w a pump bb gun and proceeded to teach them about gun safety and the pleasures of target shooting. Knew they'd never get it at home! I believe children should get their first exposure to guns from a responsible adult.

P Starr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    Actually it's never really come up. I grew up in Arkansas and don't think I even knew anyone who hadn't shot a gun of some sort at some point in their life.

I shot a rifle & shotgun a couple of times when I was 4 - 5 but that was it.

My current SO whom I've been with for 16 years is ex military but we don't have any firearms in the house (I do have some knives and a sword, though).

Then my friend took me shooting earlier in the year and I am so hooked. I adore it. However, my SO has no desire to get near a firearm at all.

Still, it's nice to have a friend that I can shoot with. Especially since I'm the first girl he's ever been able to share this hobby with.

Top Bottom