• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tedbower

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    mooresville
    I would like your opinions on a new driver having passengers with them , my son just got his license a couple of months ago and I am being told that you guys don't really inforce that law . I am being told that I am the only one enforcing that law and that other parents don't really care either.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Depends on the local LEO's. The smaller (more bored) departments mights be more inclined to enforce these kinds of traffic laws. The larger (more busy with real work) are less inclined. I came from a small department and now work for a large department so I know. It is the law, good practice for your son to follow it.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Parents that really don't care are really sad excuses for parents.

When a teen gets their licence, they really haven't been taught all the laws of physics that keep them or others alive. In the first few weeks alone it is really important that the pay 100% attention to what is going on around them. They don't need the distraction of three friend laughing or even just talking. All it takes is one distraction for you to get that phone call that all parents dread: "Dad, I'm ok but..." If you are lucky, your new driver just scraped the car. If you are not, he is telling you he was listening to the people in the back, and just didn't see that pedestrian who stepped out in front of him in a crosswalk, and now has to go through life wishing he was paying attention.

Now I am not saying it will happen, because the laws of averages are on the side of parents who don't care, and with luck their kids survive the first few years of driving.

Unfortunately some don't, so any practice without inside distractions is really important.

No, I am not a cop, but I did teach high performance driving for several years, and also am a pilot, and like everything, driving, flying or shooting accurately demand concentration learned over time, and practice, practice, practice.

The first few miles alone give a child the time to learn the vehicle and what is going on around them. And just because other parents ignore the law, would you tell your child it is ok to jump off buildings because other parents let their kids do it?

Sorry if I misinterpret what you wrote.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would like your opinions on a new driver having passengers with them , my son just got his license a couple of months ago and I am being told that you guys don't really inforce that law . I am being told that I am the only one enforcing that law and that other parents don't really care either.

Who cares for what others do...

+1 For doing what's probably the harder, but right thing.

FWIW, I wasn't even aware of this... Looks like I better freshen up on the laws before son hits that age...

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Depends on the local LEO's. The smaller (more bored) departments mights be more inclined to enforce these kinds of traffic laws. The larger (more busy with real work) are less inclined. I came from a small department and now work for a large department so I know. It is the law, good practice for your son to follow it.

Ouch, that hurts...it only hurts because it's true. :D

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    I went to LC and around the time EVERYBODY was getting their license, NO ONE followed that law and I have NEVER heard of anybody following it...

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    Parents that really don't care are really sad excuses for parents.
    I guess every parent I know is just a sad excuse for a parent, including my own. I've been driving since I was 8, and we didn't have this no passenger BS then. Here's a better idea, teach your kids to drive correctly and you won't have to worry if there's 1 passenger or 50, they'll drive responsibly.

If your kid isn't a good enough driver to drive with passengers, he shouldn't be driving at all. Just another ignorant law for parents that don't want to teach their kids and think the government knows best.

The time for your kid to learn to drive is when they have their permit. If you can't drive up to the standard of normal people, you shouldn't have a license.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    The law is out there and on the books! there are far worse things to consider than your new driver just having passengers with them! any traffic violation will get them a citation, and possible loss of driving privileges! and higher insurance rates for years to come! not to mention if they were to get in a crash and one of his passenger's losses their life, the liability would fall back on you for letting them!! A few more months of restricted driving is a Small price to pay. Hope this helps!

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    i had to wait until the law would let me, but it wasnt really a big deal, my standard cab s10 didnt really have enough room for friends anyway. anyway back then my bestfriend was a year older than me and he had to wait to have passengers in his car and the first day he was allowed, he was driving us around and he missed a stop at the end of a parking lot, we got tboned and the car was totaled

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    I guess every parent I know is just a sad excuse for a parent, including my own. I've been driving since I was 8, and we didn't have this no passenger BS then. Here's a better idea, teach your kids to drive correctly and you won't have to worry if there's 1 passenger or 50, they'll drive responsibly.

If your kid isn't a good enough driver to drive with passengers, he shouldn't be driving at all. Just another ignorant law for parents that don't want to teach their kids and think the government knows best.

The time for your kid to learn to drive is when they have their permit. If you can't drive up to the standard of normal people, you shouldn't have a license.
    :yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway:

It's just another stupid feel good law, I never followed it and don't know anyone who did. Guess what we all survived.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    while i understand everyone here walked 10 miles everyday to school, uphill both ways, learned to drive in a 33 ford pick up with a stick shift tranny and the only power assisted option was how much muscle you had. But times have changed, and laws are laws whether you think they are worthy or not. I dont think its wise to start your child out picking and choosing which laws they want to obey because they dont think its that big of deal

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP, are YOU a "lawful" driver?

The answer to this will go far in your want/desire/determination to see your child also be a lawful driver.

-J-

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I robbed a bank last night because it was a law I didn't want to follow.

Start him off right, let him learn responsibility. It may be a stupid law, but its law. What example are we setting if we don't follow it? My kid gets theie permit in just a couple months and will be driving lawfully. If they don't like it, then petition the state to change it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I started driving at 10 and by myself at around 11. One of the few great benefits of growing up off the paved road. I now live a mile and a half from where I grew up. I plan on doing the same for my daughter.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    OP - keep up with doing the right thing. Explain to the son how NOT following the law can put all of your life's hard work in jeapordy (ala Hulk Hogan's son).

When you feel comfortable enough in his driving skills that you can sit in the passenger seat and fall asleep as he drives, then he's ready to have passengers. We teach kids to pass a test, not drive.

Finally, get him signed up for DRIVERS EDGE. I cannot say enough about this nonprofit program, and I believe it saved one of my daughter's lives. It is free, and he will learn emergency manuevers taught by professional race car drivers. They hold it annually in Chicago, Detroit, Indianapolis and other areas, but you have to be quick because it fills up so fast.

Top Bottom