• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Are hands-free, wireless blue tooth headsets legal when driving a commercial vehicle? I keep reading that they are, but one person insists they are not, and sent this article:
    The Importance of Banning Phone Use in Your Fleet - Articles - Safety & Accident - Articles - Automotive Fleet

Is this statement from the article true?

However, despite there being some flexibility to laws relating to cellphone usage, commercial fleet drivers are not permitted to use a cellphone while simultaneously operating a vehicle. And this includes the use of hands-free devices.
    This is a federal rule which has been established by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), according to Phil Moser, vice president, Advanced Driver Training Services.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/driver-safety/distracted-driving/mobile-phone-restrictions-fact-sheet Seems to say that it IS legal.

Thanks!

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Federal law allows you to use a hands free cell phone in a commercial vehicle but most companies do have RULES in place for you not to use cell phone weather hands free or not. It's kind a like the whole thing about carrying a handguns in trucks. There is no federal law against it but most companies have rules against it.

10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood
    Federal law allows you to use a hands free cell phone in a commercial vehicle but most companies do have RULES in place for you not to use cell phone weather hands free or not. It's kind a like the whole thing about carrying a handguns in trucks. There is no federal law against it but most companies have rules against it.

Ditto, this is the correct answer

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, I can't answer the question, and I'm not a trucker.
    But I see this quote in the article
    This is a federal rule which has been established by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), according to Phil Moser, vice president, Advanced Driver Training Services.
    So, they don't quote a law.
    They quote a trainer.
    Sounds like people quoting gun law all the time, but they can't actually point to the law, they saw it on TV.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Well, I can't answer the question, and I'm not a trucker.
    But I see this quote in the article

So, they don't quote a law.
    They quote a trainer.
    Sounds like people quoting gun law all the time, but they can't actually point to the law, they saw it on TV.

I know. Fake, irresponsible news. So it looks like I am safe to ASSume I am right, and it IS legal to use hands-free headsets/cell phones, but against policy of many companies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, I don't know.
    I just see a statement with no reference.

But, I do know lonehoosier is a trucker, so he'd know better than me.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I do truck. Hand held cell phone use by an operator of a commercial motor vehicle is punishable by a fine of up to $2700.00.

Headset/handsfree use is legal but recommended that you keep it short. The studies show that you are just as distracted on the hands free conversation.

Every 2 lane road I travel I'd say that at LEAST 50% of the drivers coming toward me are not looking at the road. They have their eyes down on their phone.

Truly frightening.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

[h=3]How can drivers use a mobile phone and still obey the rules?[/h]
    • Locate the mobile phone so it is operable by the driver while restrained by properly adjusted safety belts.
    • Utilize an earpiece or the speaker phone function.
    • Use voice-activated or one-button touch features to initiate, answer, or terminate a call.

Unless there's hazardous material...
    The FMCSA and the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) have published rules specifically prohibiting interstate truck and bus drivers and drivers who transport placardable quantities of hazardous materials from texting or using hand-held mobile phones while operating their vehicles

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Bigtanker told me he has a camera in his truck that watches him at all times while in the truck. Cell phone is a no no by his company if I remember correctly.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    WHAT???

Wow. A piece of Americana dead.
    A lot of places they deliver to also have rules.
    At my steel mill, they finally started to recognize the "parking lot law" does apply to them.
    But, we were told, anyone driving into, or through, a building is now not covered by the law.
    So... truck drivers aren't "supposed" to have a gun when they get their truck loaded.
    I'm sure many do.
    but if they get caught, they are banned from the mill.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Hands free is legal in a comercial vehicle. But our company it's a no-no. Cameras are inertia activated. Get caught touching your phone, talking on speaker or having a bluetooth in your ear/around your neck, it's immediate termination. Zero tolerance. The only exception is if it's an emergency (911) call and you must provide your phone records to prove it.

We had 3 trucks roll over in 18 months (company wide). No one was hurt bad and only a few hundred gallons unaccounted for.

Phone records were pulled the the authorities and 2 were talking at the time. (The other guy probably fell asleep.)

I do miss calling my kids at bed time and saying good night but I guess in the big picture, it's not a bad idea. Pleanty of idiots out therr to worry about.

Top Bottom