• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whipfinish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Something interesting happened to a friend and I wanted to see if anyone has an answer to this...during a speeding traffic stop when my friend provided his driver's license, the IN state police patrol officer asked my friend if he had a handgun in his car. He did and provided his lifetime CC permit as well as the handgun. The officer took the firearm to his patrol car and returned a few minutes later telling my friend that he could go and to reload the weapon later.

My question is this, does the state police have access to a database that identifies anyone with a carry permit?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Why did you, er your friend, surrender your, er his, weapon? Is that required? I'm just asking b/c I don't know, not tryin to be a smartalec. What did he do with it while he had it in his car and out of your sight, record serial #, check if it was stolen, seems weird to me.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm pretty sure Tippecanoe County tags their LTCH residents in the database so if the police check you locally in the data base it will note that you are a LTCH holder.

hunterft6

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Noblesville/Fishers
    I have to believe that the police in Hamilton County have access to a database of applicants. It seems to be the first question I get every time I am pulled over (twice recently). Furthermore, it would seem likely to me that all officers have access to the ISP database containing the info for permit holders.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Why did you, er your friend, surrender your, er his, weapon? Is that required? I'm just asking b/c I don't know, not tryin to be a smartalec. What did he do with it while he had it in his car and out of your sight, record serial #, check if it was stolen, seems weird to me.

a state trooper pulled me over a few months ago and did the same thing, though i handed him my LTCH without being asked because i had the gun in the glove box with my registration. he took the gun back to his car.

i think the better question is, what can you do about it? refuse to hand the gun over? be prepared to be staring at the business end of the officer's gun. maybe even get tased. :laugh:

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    Something interesting happened to a friend and I wanted to see if anyone has an answer to this...during a speeding traffic stop when my friend provided his driver's license, the IN state police patrol officer asked my friend if he had a handgun in his car. He did and provided his lifetime CC permit as well as the handgun. The officer took the firearm to his patrol car and returned a few minutes later telling my friend that he could go and to reload the weapon later.

My question is this, does the state police have access to a database that identifies anyone with a carry permit?

Did your friend get his name?

a state trooper pulled me over a few months ago and did the same thing, though i handed him my LTCH without being asked because i had the gun in the glove box with my registration. he took the gun back to his car.

i think the better question is, what can you do about it? refuse to hand the gun over? be prepared to be staring at the business end of the officer's gun. maybe even get tased. :laugh:

Did you get his name?

braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My father-in-law and I were talking about this same issue (he has a great collection, but carries an old POS Llama 45 in his car because he is afraid of the same thing happening and the officer not returning his weapon). Do any of you know of a case when this has happened?

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    The same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. My concerns were having my loaded weapon pointed at me during the exchange, and having someone that may not be familiar with my firearm unloading and clearing it. Who is responsible if a trooper shoots himself with my weapon. My first mistake was having my LTCH right under my DL. I have since corrected that issue.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    State police does have access to that database, however the system is down as much as it is working. Most other agencies have to call state police to verify.

whipfinish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Ok, it's apparent that there is some database somewhere in Indiana that is providing information. I now wonder what the Trooper will be doing with the serial number of my pistol if this is one that I purchased from an individual and not from a licensed dealer who reports purchase information to the state. I wonder if that serial number will now be added to the database and thus tracked by our fine government.

whipfinish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Central Indiana

Colt556, no need for alias' here. The trooper asked him if he had a weapon in his car. (we are talking about a guy on his way to a funeral with his family in a nice bmw.) This seems weird to me as well but per the other INGO members this behavior seems to be pretty common.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN

No, not required at all. You do have to surrender your LTCH if asked though. You can keep your gun, but the officer may not take to kindly to being told he is not allowed to handle it.

whipfinish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    So the question that remains unanswered is related to the privacy issues of having a handgun serial number (that was legally obtained from an individual purchase) ending up on a state of indiana database entered by the trooper. This might be a question for the legal beagles at the NRA but I would appreciate anyone offering a legal opinion here.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    After a traffic stop where I had my own pistol pointed at me twice by a rather young / skitish State Trooper I no longer volunteer information about my carrying.

Not to mention he brought it back with the slide locked open and my mag empty, and proceeds to tell me he dropped one round in his car and he can't find it. He also admitted to not knowing how to strip down my XD that is why he brought it back with just the slide locked back.

I have no problem with LEO I just wish if they feel safer by having my legally owned and carried firearm in their possession during a traffic stop that they would also be concerned with my safety at the same time. I would happily empty and strip my weapon down even while under gun point if they felt it was needed just for my own safety. I would really prefer that they not disarm a legal citizen or make me want hide the fact that I am armed.

Demo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    No, not required at all. You do have to surrender your LTCH if asked though. You can keep your gun, but the officer may not take to kindly to being told he is not allowed to handle it.

First I've heard that you can decline to give a LEO your gun. If that's correct it's good to know.

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN

What are your rights worth to you? Are you willing to take a taser to stand up to oppression? Better men than me have taken much more abuse.

I have not been in such a situation but I like to think I have the cojones to stand up for my rights and the rights of my fellow citizens in such a situation.

I defiantly need to get a pocket video recorder to keep on me for such situations.

Top Bottom