• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow

AKA: Uncle Shadow
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    I've been loking for a piece of property for a long time to set up or open a shooting range ,,,i've come across a parcel of land that is going up for auction next month. Its 56 acreas and is wooded,,,i noticed the tax's were only $51.04 annualy,it struck me odd the tax's being so low ,i know some road frontage is $$$$$$ . So i went and walked around on it ,,and found it has a lot of hills and ravens ,,in my mind just right for setting up places to shoot. At one time i had the idea to try to set up like a club ,x amount of people kick in so much money and they are life members to the range (acually got the idea from a black powder club that has there own range)Well while discussing this with a lot of people (majority nongun owners) they tell me Morgan Co will never allow me to set up a range. Does any one know any thing about this or were to look it up.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I would make some inquiries with my lawyer before starting. Range protection only covers ranges that existed when the law was passed, not ranges created after that date if memory serves me right.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Agreed. A lawyer is definitely the way to go on this one. Might be expensive, but it would be money well spent. I would imagine that anything more that a "private" range would involve some pretty serious insurance liabilities as well.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    if it is wooded & taxes are that low, check to see if it is in the forest program.. If it is the taxes will be very low, but you will be restricted on what you can do on the property..

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I have been shooting pretty regularly on my place in Morgan co. for the last 5 years with no problems. It's legal as long as you arent inside city limits; neighbor complaints would be the main concern. Calling it a gun range might be asking for complications. I'd be interested, by the way.

Shadow

AKA: Uncle Shadow
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    I guess i never thought about zoning,,it being 56 acres and wooded. The area is 4 miles south of mooresville ,9 miles north of martinsville.The flyer says mostly rolling to moderately steep ground. I do know the Black powder club pays about $600. a year for their insurance on their range,,,they use the club dues to pay for that and the tax's.

gmiller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    If you don't get a lawyer to go over the details you run the risk of wasting your whole investment.

Top Bottom