• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Working on upgrading my AR and have a new 15" freefloat guard coming in later this week or early next week and some new tools, but what I don't have is the proper vice block so I can work on the upper without damage.

Can I get away with using a cheaper magwell vice block that will let me mount the AR on a vice, or should I get the more expensive upper vice block that holds the upper in place?

Also, anyone know where I can buy one that does same day shipping? Amazon has these but none of the upper blocks are prime eligible meaning the seller could wait a week to ship and I'm impatient and babied by years of Prime use... :)

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If you were closer you'd be welcome to borrow mine. I imagine someone will be along shortly that probably has one to help you out.

You want the vice block that fits the upper. You would not want to wrench on it from the mag well. That would put a lot of force on the take down pins. Do it the right way.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've secured many an upper in a vice by turning it on it's side and clamping the top rail and the bottom flats, I use sections of 1"x lumber between the vice jaws and the receiver to protect it and have not had a problem yet.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I've secured many an upper in a vice by turning it on it's side and clamping the top rail and the bottom flats, I use sections of 1"x lumber between the vice jaws and the receiver to protect it and have not had a problem yet.

+1
    This is how I've done all the flat tops I've ever done

I would NOT use a magwell block for the job.

-rvb

Last edited:

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    EBay sells nice vice block sets made from white plastic blocks that are inexpensive. I bought a set a couple years ago and they have served me well. I know a guy who cracked his brand new M&P 15 upper trying to take out the barrel but without vice blocks. Don't be that guy!:drill: Vice blocks are cheap insurance whether you buy a set or make them out of 2x4s.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Well, I've gone ahead and ordered this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OTS06XU/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2QREQYI4JDKSE

No idea when it will arrive since it's not Prime eligible, so hopefully it will arrive before or near the date of my new handguard. I have the rest of what I need, the barrel wrench and everything BUT the vice block. If I get the handguard before that and wait a day or two and it's still not here... I may just use a block of wood on the top/bottom of the upper where it is flat.

Top Bottom