• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Black rifles don't run off and bite the neighbor's kids.:dunno: I don't aim to get into a urinating competition with anybody here. It just rubs me wrong when folks say they are willing to kill somebody over an animal.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Of course that's over the top, and anyone whose dog bites or demonstrates aggression (especially towards children!) should rightfully expect it to be put down--then or later.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Only faced one instance like this. Years ago heard my then 10 year old screaming in the back yard, stepped out of the garage and saw him 10 yards away running for the door with a large brown dog on his heels snapping and growling. Instantly picked up the only thing close which was a hot dog fork and harpooned the dog as my son came past me into the garage, the dog right behind him. The dog drops, yelps, and reverses direction running away with the hot dog fork still buried in it. Never saw the dog again or heard anything more about it.

Would do the same thing again in a similar situation, probably without thinking any more than I did the first time. With your kids it's instinctive.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    There's also animal cruelty laws but if its attacking someone they tend to overlook that kind off stuff. Do what you have to do but remember dogs are unbelievably hard to kill especially when you are freaking out.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    I want to point out virtually every time a pit bull kills a child, the owner moans about what a"gentle, loving creature" the beast was. There have been several maulings and killings by pit bulls this spring. I don't live in the city, but the next pass the dog made at me or my kids would be his last.
    I lost a calf to a pair of pit bulls last spring, and of course, when confronted the owner replied that "it couldn't be my dogs!" I explained that indeed it was his dogs, and further explained my "shoot on sight" policy. He agreed that it was reasonable, and to his credit, has so far kept his dogs off our farm. Perhaps our using our farm lane a quarter mile down the road as our shooting range has reinforced the idea.
    We are not surprised when a herding dog instinctively herds, nor when a hunting dog instinctively hunts. Why, then, would anyone not expect a dog that is bred to fight and kill to do exactly that. I have no patience for pit bulls or their owners. I consider crossing my property line ample reason to use a lead injection device and turn a pit bull into a "good" pit bull.

I just want to point out that this post terrifies me.

In actuality, Pit Bulls are naturally extremely well-tempered.

The American Temperament Testing Society (ATTS), an organization that promotes uniform temperament testing, has found that the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier and Staffordshire Terrier all had a higher than average passing score, which is 83 percent, and did better than many other breeds, including Golden Retrievers, when it comes to stability, aggression and friendliness, among other traits.

The American Pit Bull actually scores 86%. Higher than Goldens, higher than Corgis, higher than Collies. American Temperament Test Society, Inc. | A sound mind in a sound body <--Sause

I'm about to move, and I'll be putting up some very sturdy fencing to keep my Boxer and Boxer-Pitt contained. That being said, in the 3 years I've had the boxer-pitt, she's gotten out of the yard twice, and both times she immediately ran over to the nearest neighbor working in their yard and proceeded to roll over onto her back begging for belly rubs.

The reason I'm putting up fencing to keep my Dogs in isn't to protect you and your kids from them. They're excessively friendly, and well-acclimated to playing with small children. It's to protect the dogs. To protect them from running out into the road, to protect them from getting lost - and to protect them from people who think that my dog escaping from the yard to go and greet his new neighbor and hopefully new friend (provided he knows how to rub a belly) is ample excuse to shoot him dead as soon as he crosses the property line.

I understand your property rights and will do whatever I can to respect them, but my dog can't see your property line. What it can see is someone who might want to be friends. Does that mean she deserves summary execution, without trial, preceding an imagined potential attack? Before you can even tell what her intention might be?

Last edited:

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Well, the reality is HR if your dog ran across onto my place and did what the dog did in the OP, threatening my daughter or whatever, then I guess you and I would have some problems. Any person is more important than any animal. Don't care how you feel about 'em.
    Yup, I like good beer too.

I've said many times in here dude.......my dogs, ain' viscous,nor aggressive....mine's very social...would'n have 'at kind'a dog on'a place......far's git'n out......whole place izz 'lectronicly fenced......I make SURE, they stay in here , fer more reasons than 'git'n out' , an' may happen ta go in close'st neighbors yard..... the church dudes 'at show up 'bout twice'd a month......are thrill'd ta death with'em.....:):

Worse thing roun' here izz now.......I got more collars/transmitters.......than I do dogs.....:(

I hope ya never lose sumthin close to ya, 'at you've handfed an' raised......child, whutever.......much less at'a hand of a over-zellous idiot.......

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I just want to point out that this post terrifies me.

In actuality, Pit Bulls are naturally extremely well-tempered.

The American Pit Bull is actually above that, scoring 86%. Higher than Goldens, higher than Corgis, higher than Collies. American Temperament Test Society, Inc. | A sound mind in a sound body <--Sause

I'm about to move, and I'll be putting up some very sturdy fencing to keep my Boxer and Boxer-Pitt contained. That being said, in the 3 years I've had the boxer-pitt, she's gotten out of the yard twice, and both times she immediately ran over to the nearest neighbor working in their yard and proceeded to roll over onto her back begging for belly rubs.

The reason I'm putting up fencing to keep my Dogs in isn't to protect you and your kids from them. They're excessively friendly, and well-acclimated to playing with small children. It's to protect the dogs. To protect them from running out into the road, to protect them from getting lost - and to protect them from people who think that my dog escaping from the yard to go and greet his new neighbor and new friend (provided he knows how to rub a belly) is ample excuse to shoot him dead as soon as he crosses the property line.

I understand your property rights and will do whatever I can to respect them, but my dog can't see your property line. What it can see is someone who might want to be friends. Does that mean it deserves summary execution, without trial, preceding an imagined potential attack? Before you can even tell what it's intention might be?

:+1:

ALL'a that........

(even tho I ain' never own'd 1.......)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why did this thread become about pitbulls and HR and less about the OP's real question.?

Pit bulls always come up.
    Yes, I have known of many even tempered pit bulls. But, spend a bit of time in and around the hood and you will soon see what they are capable of with the wrong owner/training etc.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    Pit bulls always come up.
    Yes, I have known of many even tempered pit bulls. But, spend a bit of time in and around the hood and you will soon see what they are capable of with the wrong owner/training etc.

With what any dog is capable of with the wrong owner/training. I've had to deal with a Collie that'll bite a man sooner than looking at him, as well as several of the unassuming "toy breeds" that are more vicious than a coon with rabies. Pit Bulls, as a breed, are naturally even-tempered and friendly.

I guess I just get butt hurt when someone says they have a zero tolerance "shoot on site policy" involving what amounts to a member of my family. I'll finally be moving out of the city soon, and if the sellers accept our offer we'll be surrounded by farms like Bandsaw's. I'll be putting up fencing to keep our pups in place, and it's not the first time I've put up a fence, but accidents happen. My dog has been by my side for even longer than the woman I asked to marry me - through some really tough times, no matter what. The thought that she could be shot dead by a neighbor because the wind blew over a tree branch, knocked over a section of fencing, and she saw someone she wanted to be friends with? It makes me feel physically ill.

Edit: I mean, look at the Michael Vick dogs. http://moderndogmagazine.com/gallery/where-former-michael-vick-dogs-are-now?slide=1

All these dogs knew was abuse, and being forced to fight other dogs. After a little care, they are now all (except for one who passed away under anesthesia during treatment) in loving homes, around other dogs and small children, with no problems at all.

If a poorly trained dog attacks you or yours, by all means take whatever steps are necessary. I'm not saying I wouldn't. But a "shoot on site" policy? These aren't yotes - these are domesticated animals, loyal friends, even beloved members of the family. My family.

Last edited:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Love dogs, love animals. Don't even hunt 'cause I buy what I need at the grocery store. Don't believe in 'trophy' hunting, either. Nothing against those who do. :)

IMO, most of the time it's not the dog that's the real 'problem', it's the owner! :): With notable exceptions cited, dog owners always claim 'Fido' is 'harmless'. Then if 'Fido' turns into 'Cujo' at some instant, it's "Gee, I don't understand it, 'Fido' has never done that before!" Yeah, but he did it now, and therein lies the issue.

Just as with our firearms, we're responsible for every act of violence and destruction perpetrated by that dog (or any other kept animal, for that matter). That means we are to have absolute control over that animal at all times. Not knowing the whereabouts of 'Fido' beyond one's property line is in itself, really, an intentional act of irresponsibility.

Dogs are smart, loving, graceful, ingenious, social creatures. They're also temperamental, calculating, fast, lethal pack animals with very acute primal instincts and we know it. We even use dogs as weapons, do we not? Guard, Attack, and Law Enforcement dogs.

We have the sole responsibility to, perhaps, build a fence they can't climb (not just jump) over, break through, or dig under. Possibly keep the dog on a chain or leash, or in some sort of housing that's sufficient to maintain that control. Since some contrarian is going to ask, "What's the 'standard of sufficient'?", it's easy. If the dog gets out while not under your direct control, it's 'insufficient'.

I'm sure all also know that virtually any dog has the capability to bite or attack, given the right set of circumstances. And tail-wagging is NOT a 'decisive indicator' of a dog's friendliness. Dogs suffer from a variety of maladies that can affect their disposition at a moment's notice. The owner may not even be aware, as animals are VERY good at hiding signs of illness, as that's a sign of 'weakness' which, in their world, exposes them to potential predators.

Simple solution, then: We who choose a dog (or other animal) takes 100% accountability for that dog. Or, the other viable option, don't own that animal. :)

XDS45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2014
    Indiana
    Last night their landlord came over and they got evicted for having to many dogs.
    I understand how a dog can be like a family member,but if it is growling and running at me or my kids,I will do whatever I can to stop it. I don't want any of my kids getting ripped apart by a dog. I know they do get out,I have had that problem with dogs in the past,but it wasn't aggressive and ran from people.Like I mentioned above,I wouldn't want to do this and it would make me sick to have to put down any animal,but if it aggressive,I am left with no choice.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    With what any dog is capable of with the wrong owner/training. I've had to deal with a Collie that'll bite a man sooner than looking at him, as well as several of the unassuming "toy breeds" that are more vicious than a coon with rabies. Pit Bulls, as a breed, are naturally even-tempered and friendly.

I guess I just get butt hurt when someone says they have a zero tolerance "shoot on site policy" involving what amounts to a member of my family. I'll finally be moving out of the city soon, and if the sellers accept our offer we'll be surrounded by farms like Bandsaw's. I'll be putting up fencing to keep our pups in place, and it's not the first time I've put up a fence, but accidents happen. My dog has been by my side for even longer than the woman I asked to marry me - through some really tough times, no matter what. The thought that she could be shot dead by a neighbor because the wind blew over a tree branch, knocked over a section of fencing, and she saw someone she wanted to be friends with? It makes me feel physically ill.

Edit: I mean, look at the Michael Vick dogs. Where the Former Michael Vick Dogs Are Now | Modern Dog magazine

All these dogs knew was abuse, and being forced to fight other dogs. After a little care, they are now all (except for one who passed away under anesthesia during treatment) in loving homes, around other dogs and small children, with no problems at all.

If a poorly trained dog attacks you or yours, by all means take whatever steps are necessary. I'm not saying I wouldn't. But a "shoot on site" policy? These aren't yotes - these are domesticated animals, loyal friends, even beloved members of the family. My family.

Yes and I agree. It is the media and other sources that push the evil Pit Bull thing.
    Seriously though....the last 5 or 6 years we have had to deal with several loose and very aggressive pits. Not one other breed. Always a pit bull. I will not get deep into the situations but these dogs are dangerous when un-tethered.

The craziest dog I have ever seen was a St. Bernard. That thing was Psycho.....It got out and caused some damage. LEO had to put it down.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The next time I have a 140 lb, ill-tempered german shepherd attached to my arm trying to remove it from my body, I will console myself by realizing that I am not being attacked by a pit bull. Whew!

OIIIIIO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    I've "trained" a lot of free range dogs to stay out of my yard with a pellet gun. Quiet, to the point and no long term effects and none the wiser. :): I had one that would actually walk around the yard instead of cutting thru it.

The pit bull mix took a little more convincing. He came back a couple different times and threatened me. Shot him in the but and he would take off. This went for about a week. One day I came out of the garage and he growled at me. I ran inside, grabbed the pellet gun and when I came out he proceeded to lift his leg and pee on one of my expensive bushes and growl at me again. I noticed I had 2 golf ball sized targets and shot the left one. He didn't come around again! He played havoc on the rest of the neighborhood for a couple more weeks before animal control removed him. The owner could have used the same treatment. The dog was still a pup and I didn't want to hurt him, but I can't have an aggressive dog running free on my property.

The pellet gun really works. It may take a couple try's, but they always learn. I had a large German Shepard square up against me one day. Shot him high in the shoulder face on. He spun and growled again. We did this 9 times total in a span of a few minutes. He wouldn't back down. He stood and held that front leg up and still held his ground. So did I. He figured he wasn't going to win and limped back home across the street. Never came back in our yard again and we lived there for another 2 years.

Him and i worked it out and no one (neighbor) got upset.

Tobias

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Speakin from personal experience.....you better make sure you can prove the dog was attemping to harm you or your property. Shooting a dog on your property that is "just" growling at you can cost you in a lot of ways if the dogs owner gets the law involved. Absolutely defend yourself and your family but if it at all possible let law enforcement handle the situation.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Poodles are the DEVIL! Them SOB's will bite you all the way to the bone. I worked in a dog grooming shop many years ago and the owner had to goto the hospital for 2 seperate dog bites all the way to the bone....yep....Poodles! :):

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I have dogs and am a responsible pet owner. I am not one to yell at or beat my dogs but I do expect them to behave. For most things a quiet reminder will stop their behavior but sometimes I need more. When my dogs are in the yard I don't like it when they bark continuously at people who walk by. I don't like it when they bark like crazy because there is a raccoon on the porch. I have a PetZoom pet trainer that so far has been pretty effective at adjusting their behavior. They usually stop what they are doing. If they are outside they will usually stop barking and come to the door to come in.

I work in a vet office and often take the PetZoom to work with me since walk in vet clinics can get quite hectic when we have a full waiting room. Usually I can press the button and the dogs in the waiting room will settle down.

I paid $10 for it at Meijer. It might be something to consider as a non lethal alternative. The neat thing about it is you can test it out on different dogs and no one has to know that you are doing anything. I am discrete when I press the button at work.

Disclaimer, although the PetZoom gets my beagle's attention the effects are not nearly as profound on him. My foster JRT is also somewhat resistant to it too but even his Thundershirt doesn't always calm him down. He usually requires a few squirts of Adaptil to chill out when he is being a butthead.

It's just a thought as a first line defense before reaching for the mace or a pistol. I would definitely try to test it on him and other neighborhood dogs before relying on it.

Here's a link to their annoying infomercial. If interested it's only $10 at Meijer.

https://www.petzoompettrainer.com/

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    I was told by my vet that "hot shots" work very well against a dog, and you don't have the BS of possible criminal charges, I don't exactly disagree with him, but I think a aggressive dog might be better off taking a few incoming rounds, might actually save some little kid from ending up going through 10 surgeries.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I work at a vet clinic. We are pit friendly. We usually only have to muzzle PWT pits. Pits that have been well trained seldom cause any problems. They are usually the biggest babies. We are usually more fearful of the Chihuahuas, Dachshunds, Min Pinns and other small breeds. The little dogs get muzzled much more often than the big dogs. Some little dogs are just crazy.

I admit I have seen some scary pits but it's usually because they belong to irresponsible owners who should not be allowed to have pets or children.

Top Bottom