Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    How long has your Dad been doing this?

What year truck does he drive?

-Nate

Huh? Farming? 58 years, Being frugal? I suspect ~40 years... planning and putting up his grain setup? at least 3 or 4... he was on the fence about a dryer setup until he got the good deal on the cone-bottom bin and used dryer.

What year is his truck? '96 Chevy, '06 Ford, '90 Peterbilt, '14 Ram, among others. He has a too many "trucks" to list...

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Huh? Farming? 58 years, Being frugal? I suspect ~40 years... planning and putting up his grain setup? at least 3 or 4... he was on the fence about a dryer setup until he got the good deal on the cone-bottom bin and used dryer.

What year is his truck? '96 Chevy, '06 Ford, '90 Peterbilt, '14 Ram, among others. He has a too many "trucks" to list...

My point here (and thank you for humoring me!) is that there is a damned good reason he is not driving a $70,000 pickup truck.

It's careful and mature decision making that sometimes results in somebody farming for 58 years.

A guy's gotta be able to take some risks where they might produce some more revenue, but taking risks with your financial condition just to buy something you WANT is foolish. That could be a $70,000 pickup, or it can even be disguised as a 1 year old 712 that is "a great deal and I'll only have to finance $xxx!" when you know damn-good-and-well that your 4 year old 608 is doing a fine job.

-Nate

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    My point here (and thank you for humoring me!) is that there is a damned good reason he is not driving a $70,000 pickup truck.

It's careful and mature decision making that sometimes results in somebody farming for 58 years.

A guy's gotta be able to take some risks where they might produce some more revenue, but taking risks with your financial condition just to buy something you WANT is foolish. That could be a $70,000 pickup, or it can even be disguised as a 1 year old 712 that is "a great deal and I'll only have to finance $xxx!" when you know damn-good-and-well that your 4 year old 608 is doing a fine job.

-Nate
    I thought you may be coming from that angle but I had no clue... And you're spot-on. The '06 Ford is a service truck, the '96 Chevy is the daily driver (300k miles on it), and the Ram (3500 cab-chassis w/ Cummins and flatbed) is the heavy-mover (wouldn't own it if he didn't "steal" it).

Far too many farmers think they NEED certain things that they don't actually need. Dad is running a 20 year old combine; yeah, it's getting tired, yeah, he's kicked around trading up. As a matter of fact, he just demo'd a used lexion/Cat but they wanted $180k to trade for it... He's no fool, he can get by a few more years with what he's got...

As far as a grain leg goes, maybe someday, but for now his 10" auger works just as fast as he can shell the corn so no need to get a leg.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    ...for now his 10" auger works just as fast as he can shell the corn so no need to get a leg.

hehehe...ain't that the truth. Not that you would know, but damn an 8 or 10" auger can dump a lot of corn on the ground in a hurry. :laugh:

-Nate

Top Bottom