• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Not sure I'd kill the snake. It's there nature. The neighbor is the problem. His pet obviously wasn't secured properly. Just like dogs need secured in a house or their own yard.

The snake does need a new home whether it be someone more responsible or a sanctuary/zoo.

Instead of the neighbor being cited he needs to be tested just like a dog owner when the dog attacks a neighbor. I see no difference.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    It tends to be common practice to fault an animal for natural behavior, when the situation could have been easily prevented by a little parental, or animal-owner awareness. Sad commentary on accountability, not to mention lack of common sense.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I've had many pet snakes over the years. That little ball python could not have injured the baby, much less eat it.

eat the baby? No. Kill or injure the baby? ..don't bet the baby's life on it on it.... look at the size of the man's arm vs the size of the baby's neck...

bmgreen13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Parts Unknown
    Of course it wouldn't be able to eat the baby but if for some reason it decided to wrap arond the babies neck, it would be able to kill him. Im sure my instinctive reaction would of been to kill the snake also. I am an animal lover but if it was on my baby, then it would be over for that python.

SIGguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    i agree i know it would be human but if someone or something ever hurt any one of my two children calling the police or animal control just wouldnt be enough satisfaction for me

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Wow lucky snake.

I generally don't like snakes anyway, but if I found that around my kids it probably would have been thrown on the floor and stomped flat. Not snakes fault, but that is probably how I would have reacted.

Moron snake owner will probably just buy a new snake anyway.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Any restrictor can cause death. They "feel" the pulse and that's typically what they go for. I believe quickest way to get them off is COLD water and muscle.

Don't forget snakes are one of nature's killers.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Not sure I'd kill the snake. It's there nature. The neighbor is the problem. His pet obviously wasn't secured properly. Just like dogs need secured in a house or their own yard.

The snake does need a new home whether it be someone more responsible or a sanctuary/zoo.

Instead of the neighbor being cited he needs to be tested just like a dog owner when the dog attacks a neighbor. I see no difference.

WTF?!?!??!? You mean people should be responsible when they keep possibly dangerous animals? When stupid people own possibly dangerous animals and don't take any responsibilities for them, the owners should somehow be seen as the stupid ones in the equation? Keep talking like that around here and the knee-jerk crowd will think you're an idiot.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    I own a ball python that is very similar to the one in the video. It is nearly 4' long though. The snake owner is a very stupid one for not informing the neighbors especially since this appears to be an apartment.

I'd also suggest that this snake had been out of its container for a pretty long time. They don't just get out and go for a cruise. They stay near to where they get out and move as necessary, looking for warmth and then food. They can go a long time without food which also explains why they aren't in a hurry.

The baby's foot was probably exposed. The snake saw this is something small and warm. Once it bit, it wrapped around to constrict. The snake would then realize that this is not a prey but something much bigger. The snake lets go and probably stayed around the foot for the warmth. I would say that in no way was this constriction dangerous to the baby. Circulation would not have been cutoff by a snake this size.

This snake wrapped around the neck is a different story. It is very possible that it could have suffocated the baby. The snake would've had a firm grip, which isn't very powerful, but it would've been enough to certainly cut off air flow. The baby could've awaken but probably not been able to get the snake off because he probably doesn't have the dexterity to dig his fingers in between the snake and his neck.

Top Bottom