• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluehazemay

Modern Pirate Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Hey guys have been looking around the forum and online and having issues on deciding between the PX4 storm or the Ruger SR9. Both have the ability of 17+1 and both are great quality from what I can read and view. Does anyone have any recommendations or also which would you all choose? Thanks for the help.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OOh!

Tough call!!!

Looks dept, the Beretta all the way. They have the 500+ year history of the company behind them, too.

A co-worker of mine has an SR-9 and loves it. It's not an unnattractive pistol, quite slim for what it is, too. From just about every account, the trigger feels like you're pulling a stick through gravel, though.

I've only handled them in shops...never shot either of them. Can't really give much of an opinion there.

The Ruger undercuts the Beretta in the price dept by a few hunnert bucks, too.

What's the intended purpose for this pistol? Carrying? Your budget?

-J-

Bluehazemay

Modern Pirate Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Brownsburg
    OOh!

Tough call!!!

Looks dept, the Beretta all the way. They have the 500+ year history of the company behind them, too.

A co-worker of mine has an SR-9 and loves it. It's not an unnattractive pistol, quite slim for what it is, too. From just about every account, the trigger feels like you're pulling a stick through gravel, though.

I've only handled them in shops...never shot either of them. Can't really give much of an opinion there.

The Ruger undercuts the Beretta in the price dept by a few hunnert bucks, too.

What's the intended purpose for this pistol? Carrying? Your budget?

-J-

Well currently I can not carry, so basically im using the the time to purchase ammo and firearms I would like to have. But mostly this is for range fun and home protection. As for my budget - well it would have to be a layaway to allow me to obtain the full funds ( Bradis :rockwoot:) so in truth there really isnt a budget as over time I could obtain the funds.

Thanks for your help!

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    Can you increase the mag capacity on the .40? just curious.

The beauty of the Storm series is that the PX4 in .40 can use the same mags as the CX4 in .40. (Same way with 9mm and .45)

I think my CX4 came with 11 or 14 rd mags, and I picked up some 18 or 20 rounders as well.

jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    I don't have much experience with the SR9 but I can tell you that i love my PX4. The Ruger is striker fired while the PX4 is traditional hammer so thee will be a difference and preference there. The PX4 also has the rotating barrel design which to me seems to make the recoil less snappy. This isn't that big of a deal in the the 9 but i think it really makes the 40 a more comfortable shooter. Yes, the 17 rnd mags are available for the 40. They are usually sold on the beretta web site for around $20.00.

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    I've always thought the Px4 would be perfect, but I hear it's impossible to find good holsters for it.

Does anyone know otherwise?

jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    I've always thought the Px4 would be perfect, but I hear it's impossible to find good holsters for it.

Does anyone know otherwise?

A few year back that was the case but i think most major holster manufacturers now carry products for the PX4. Try Fist:
    HOLSTERS
    They have a great selection.

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    I have a PX4 "F" in 9mm. I think the gun is great. It is very accurate for me and I have had no FTF's or FTE's. It is my daily carry gun and I carry it in a Comp Tac Infidel (IWB) holster.

AJB

Metro 40

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    M&P is on the list - the only debate on the M&P is to get either the .40 or .45

Get the 40. There is absolutely nothing that the 45 can do that the 40 can't do. The 40 has an excellent performance record on the street in hundreds of police shootings. 40 ammo is more available and less expensive. 16 rounds of 40 beats 11 rounds of 45, any day of the week and twice on Sundays. The only reason to get the 45 is because all of your other pistols are 45s and you already stock a lot of ammo, or if you reload 45. The M&P 40 is a sweet shooting pistol! The PX-4 is a soft shooting pistol as well, although I prefer the M&P.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Never shot the SR9 but I was VERY impressed with the Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm. I traded the one I had but I might get another one in the future. Great shooter.

Like some other have stated, the M&P platform is very good as well. My EDC is a M&P 9c.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Get the 40. There is absolutely nothing that the 45 can do that the 40 can't do. The 40 has an excellent performance record on the street in hundreds of police shootings. 40 ammo is more available and less expensive. 16 rounds of 40 beats 11 rounds of 45, any day of the week and twice on Sundays. The only reason to get the 45 is because all of your other pistols are 45s and you already stock a lot of ammo, or if you reload 45. The M&P 40 is a sweet shooting pistol! The PX-4 is a soft shooting pistol as well, although I prefer the M&P.

The only reason why I don't recommend the .40 is because of the muzzle flip. The Px4's rotating barrel does an okay job of mitigating it, but the .45 traditionally has more of a push back instead of flip.

The SR9 has kind of a rough history with recalls. Personally, the beretta has a very strong history and has proven very reliable. Go with the storm. :)

Metro 40

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    The only reason why I don't recommend the .40 is because of the muzzle flip. The Px4's rotating barrel does an okay job of mitigating it, but the .45 traditionally has more of a push back instead of flip.

Yeah, I see this complaint a lot. The 40 is too "snappy." I shot my dad's Colt Python and S&W Model 19 with full house magnums when I was a kid, and did just fine. We've got 120 pound female cops who do just fine with the Glock 22, the lightest 40 caliber service pistol on the market. I suppose if you've got arthritis, an unusually limp wrist, or are a vegetarian, the 40 may be a bit much. :):

Bluehazemay

Modern Pirate Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I learned the snappy recoil with the XDm so that I got used to. PX4 sounds like the way to go and then after look into a M&P. Thanks everyone for your help.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The PX4 in .45 is actually more tame than the .40. That said, I have the PX4-G in 9mm and am thrilled with it. Has been flawless in over a case of ammo fired, and I have no problems keeping it on an 8x10 sheet of paper at 25 yards. Not bad for a pistol.

Top Bottom