• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    Interested in info reference the put and take hunts for pheasants. Anyone have experience, info, etc? I scheduled a day at Willow Slough for mid November. I've done plenty of bird hunting on preserves in Indiana and Michigan as well as hunts to Iowa and South Dakota.

Just looking for info as what to expect when we get there. Appreciate any insight!

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Hey DWS,
    Not sure how much help this is, as I haven't been to WS for at least 10 years(back in the day when you had to go to the property and stand in line to register). I have been going to Roush and Atterbury since the online registration has been in effect.
    The first thing is to go to the office and sign in. Then go to the area you signed up for, park, and go hunting.
    If you have never been to the property, I find it helpful to get on google maps and look at a satellite view of the area.

Make sure you(and anyone else hunting with you) have your valid hunting license on you at all times. Not in the truck, not in the dog box, not in the gun case, not in your wallet in the truck...My brother got a ticket several years ago because his was in his wallet in the truck, my fiance almost got a ticket because she left hers in the truck.

For the put-and-take hunts at Pigeon River, Winnamac, and Willow Slough, you can only take a rooster- bag limit is 2. You also cannot take any other game animal while on the Put-and-take.

Here is the link for hunting regulations: Game Birds | Indiana Hunting Seasons & Regulations ? 2016 | eRegulations

Take your time and enjoy the hunt. I've never been pheasant hunting in Iowa or SoDak, so I don't know how it compares. But I do know the birds here like to run. And being pen-raised birds, sometimes you have to be persistent to get them to fly.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Hard without a dog to get them up to fly. We used to go along the hunting areas and the birds would all be across the road on private property or in the ditch. Unless it blustery cold they run.

Pretty comical. That and price increase and non educated fools blasting critters I already killed ended it for me.

You have to really be into it.

Top Bottom