• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Thinking about buying a push mower to assist SWMBO and I in our efforts to change our physical appearance and health. We're looking at 1/2 acre out in the country so it's not a "lawn", it's a nicely maintained yard. Electric start is not required but a nice option, large rear wheels to help out on the uneven terrain and a large cutting deck to minimize time mowing. Reliability and endurance are not optional.

Thanks!

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I've had pretty good luck with our Toro. It's a super recycler, and has electric start. I use it in a rural area, and it's held up well to chopping up sticks and what not.

Reactions: Leo

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I bought a Toro with a 6.75 Kohler gas engine in 2012 because I needed a mower that day and it was all they had in stock. It has been very reliable. Oil change and blade sharpening. It is a good piece of equipment.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Wife and I had a friend who made a living mowing small (he called them postage stamp) size lawns. He alway purchased the toro’s with the large rear wheels and self propelled with the old pull start.

I think he purchased one every year used two daily and kept a third for a backup mower.I purchased one he used for a year once and I ran the crap out of it for a very long time. I think they mowed 75 yards a week so figure that mower did many years of service in the year he owned it.

they did away with that specific mower and he bought another brand and said it was good but he liked to older ones because he had always used them and knew the issues they had. He also stated the new one seemed to cut the grass a little nicer because the blade shape was a bit different

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Don't know if you can even buy them anymore, but love my craftsman. 13 years and I haven't sharpened the blade or changed the spark plug. Changed oil once, and a new set of front drive wheels. Starts in 3 pulls first use of the season, everytime. 1-2 pulls max thru the season. Been a phenomenal mower for me that sees use 2 times per week thru mowing season

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Ive had good luck with Troy Built and Toro.

I had some kind of old hand me down Troy Built for about 8 years. It sat outside year round, never got its oil or plugs changed. Only reason i got rid of it was because the deck rusted out last year and it was throwing grass at my feet.

Now i have a 5.5hp recycler AWD, seems like a solid mower so far. Doesnt have the 7.5hp the Troy Built had and you can tell but it cuts grass good. Pulled it out and mowed last weekend, dang think fired up first pull. Changed the oil and plug and sharpened/balanced the blade since i want to keep this one nice and all that stuff is super easy on it.

I grabbed an older cub cadet with a 7hp honda engine from a yard sale last fall for almost nothing. Ran the carb through the ultrasonic cleaner, then it sat out all winter with no carb. Dug the parts out yesterday, slapped them on, and it fired right up. Seems like a good one but time will tell. Im turning it into a light brush cutter lol.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    If it is serious mowing go with a commercial product

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I don’t know about those walkers man. A friend of mine had one for his lawn business and when it broke down it took Walker forever to get it fixed, twice. And the thing had (I’m not kidding) 75 grease zirks on it.

maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have an old toro commercial walk behind. 14 hp Kawasaki engine, self propelled 3 forward gears and reverse. No hydrostats belt driven. 36 “ deck and is literally a walk behind bush hog that has a great cut. Currently held in reserve if the new zero turn go’s down.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a half acre of rough terrain. My Craftsman mower which was fine on my flat, smooth .20 acre lot worked fine. In my current yard, it gets beat to death. I have to replace parts pretty much every year.

I recently picked up another Craftsman(this time with the large rear wheels) from a neighbor that was tired of trying to get it to run so he set it out by the street. The bigger wheels seem to make a difference in handling the terrain. If I can get the bugs worked out of it, I think it will be a better mower.

That said, I think I'm done with Craftsman. For my next mower it will hopefully be a 36" walk behind, something close to, if not, commercial grade. That should then be the last mower I'll ever have to buy. Unless I buy some acreage for my retirement home. Then I will get a 60" or 72" ZTR.

Good luck in your search.

Top Bottom