• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    Has anyone seen those purple triangle shaped things hanging in trees lately? If so do you know what they are? I can only assume that the DNR has placed them randomly about to try to attract some species of bird or bat or something. What strikes me as odd is that a lot of them I see are in peoples yards so they would have to give permission right? The other theory is that china mart had a sale on purple bird houses or feeders? :dunno:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Has anyone seen those purple triangle shaped things hanging in trees lately? If so do you know what they are? I can only assume that the DNR has placed them randomly about to try to attract some species of bird or bat or something.

I'm betting they were either placed to deter, or are indicators of infestation by, some kind of tree-killing parasite or insect (ash borer, etc).

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I googled "ash borer trap" and found this:

eabtrap.gif

Is that what you were looking for?

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    Wow we must have a big problem out here in Brownsburg then because I see more and more of them lately. That makes me curious about my neighbours tree it kept loosing huge [strike]limbs[/strike] trunk sections and not from storms either and they would no more than get it cleaned up and another would fall. They finally cut the whole thing down. It was one of those trees that split into like 4 or 5 near the bottom.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I remember hearing a while back the the Emerald Ash Borers were starting to show up in Indiana. I think the Carmel area lost a bunch of trees a few years ago. The buggers are nasty, and there are no local predators. These must be pheremone traps to help keep their populate in check. BTW: this is also one reason why you can't transport firewood to and from most state/national parks. The bugs don't need help moving to new forests!

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    The purple triangle things are to separate the gay trees from the straight trees. The forest recently repealed "don't ask don't tell". They had a pride march but the trees remained stationary.

1670.jpg

Top Bottom