• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    i am glad that your friends neighborhood is safe now. Pretty scary stuff. Your friend should look up criminal recklessness with a firearm unless he doesn't care if someone might think he is a dam punk that needs to be locked up too. There is probably a police report written that basically shows that he resolved a relatively minor problem with an AK47. I don't think I would want that in my documented history.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackey
    ^this.
    I'm wondering what the age of these "kids" were. I bet they were pre-teens because teens typically wouldn't go home and tell mommy and daddy.
    Your friend is messed up. If someone did that to my kid I'd take my Louisville Slugger upside his head.

Really.
    My Dad would have whipped my ass.
    Then, he would have made me go over to the neighbors house the next day, and apologize.
    Then he probably would have thanked the neighbor for not shooting his dumb ass kid (me).

I guess I was "abused", and that's why I'm not a criminal.

These two sum up my thoughts.

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    IC 35-47-4-3
    Pointing firearm at another person
    Sec. 3. (a) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting within the scope of the law enforcement officer's official duties or to a person who is justified in using reasonable force against another person under:
    (1) IC 35-41-3-2; or
    (2) IC 35-41-3-3.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded.
    As added by P.L.296-1995, SEC.2. Wrong statute, even though the kids could have claimed that he pointed it at them. Look up Criminal Recklessness, and the part about, with a firearm. This is just one thing the guy could still be charged with.

The friend could still be facing a warrant if the Prosecutors Office decides, based on the Police Report, that the charge is appropriate. The friend may not be home free. Charges can be filed long after the incident.

The decision to use a firearm to resolve a situation should never be taken lightly.

Exactly...i was always taught if your going to pull it you better be prepard to use it. Growing up in my community (country) it was common for car windows to get soaped at Halloween, a few live and dead possums got put into mailboxes. But it was easy to find out who done it because everyone knew eachother. And ass whoopings were handed out by the parents...i got my share and had to wash i few cars and mailboxes too. Maybe thats why i have never felt the need to pull a gun on some kids...

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Times sure have changed, haven't they?

My father used to tell of a story where every Halloween, him and his friends would go to their bus driver's home and do things to the bus for a prank--such as changing the plug wires, etc--and it was the bus driver's job to prank them back. (My father grew up in the countryside surrounding Rosedale, IN.)

One time, as the story was told to me, Mr Bus Driver was waiting in the dark with "Mr. Shotgun" and when one of the kids crossed the driveway, he shot the gun off in the air and threw a handful of pea gravel hitting this kid in the chest and face. I guess this kid was rolling around on the ground shouting, "He shot me! He shot me!"

Mr Bus Driver then proceeded to pick up said kid off the ground, dust him off, and bring all the kids into the house for hot chocolate and doughnuts.

Yep, times sure have changed...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yeah, times sure have changed.

Back in the day folks would take care of themselves and look out for their neighbors. We dealt with "punks" ourselves, and then drug their sorry butts back to their parents to get dealt with again.

Now we all go running to the Po-Po any time kids touch our stuff, and let the nanny-state rock us back to sleep.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Really.
    Then, he would have made me go over to the neighbors house the next day, and apologize.
    Then he probably would have thanked the neighbor for not shooting his dumb ass kid (me).

Dont' forget that along with apologizing having to help the neighbor out with some yard work to make up for the wasted water/money.

:ingo:

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    i remember a next door neighbor tanning my tail when i was younger, sending me home and while i was en route, calling my parents, the tanning continued as soon as i stepped foot in the door. who knew the fone was faster than the foot?

trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    i am 26 yrs old and may seem young to some but i got my butt tanned when needed. times have changed a lot even for me maybe it was the fact i grew up in the country or what idk but i am raising my daughter the way i was raised so there will hopefully be at one good kid out there and plan to raise the rest of my kids that way.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    well, they ran home to mommy and daddy. would you break into a house knowing a guy has guns?

Sure I would, especially if I was traumatized a couple years ago by the a-hole for pulling a "prank." I'd have plenty of time to watch his and all the rest of the neighbors comings and goings.

I'd have the gun that big man uses to fend off little kids. It would be my life's mission to plan it until I turned into a teenager and became bulletproof.

ubertux

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Tell City
    Some of the posts in this thread literally make me sick, people that think the kids were a ok with what they were doing. awwe its just a prank. if you don't stomp this kind of stuff out early then look at what kind of person you are raising, and shame on you. Parenting like this leads to kids pulling B&E's and when one of them breaks into my house, they will be killed immediately and a bill for the cost of the cleanup of blood and brains will be sent to the parents of that delinquent, for raising such a terrible child. Its your responsibility parents, take heed or invest in caskets and cemetery plots.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Some of the posts in this thread literally make me sick, people that think the kids were a ok with what they were doing. awwe its just a prank. if you don't stomp this kind of stuff out early then look at what kind of person you are raising, and shame on you. Parenting like this leads to kids pulling B&E's and when one of them breaks into my house, they will be killed immediately and a bill for the cost of the cleanup of blood and brains will be sent to the parents of that delinquent, for raising such a terrible child. Its your responsibility parents, take heed or invest in caskets and cemetery plots.

I don't think anyone was saying the kids were not punks, they were saying there are better (more mature, intelligent, legal) ways to handle the situation than brandishing a rifle.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    ^this.
    I'm wondering what the age of these "kids" were. I bet they were pre-teens because teens typically wouldn't go home and tell mommy and daddy.
    Your friend is messed up. If someone did that to my kid I'd take my Louisville Slugger upside his head.

^^^^^ PERFECT example of poor parenting skills. I bet you are friends with that guy that punched the basketball coach in the face after he made the guys daughter run laps in the gym.

YOUR kid gets caught doing something wrong and YOU defend the wrongful actions of YOUR child. Well, guess what boys and girls......YOUR children are a DIRECT REFLECTION of YOUR parenting skills. If your children are delinquents, guess what YOU are?

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Wonder why the police didn't ask the parents why their kids were running around at night? Hmmm...seems that would be a logical question.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Wonder why the police didn't ask the parents why their kids were running around at night? Hmmm...seems that would be a logical question.

Yes it would be.
    If it wasn't overshadowed by the firearm aspect.

As the poster who said it could be battery using the squirt guns, yes indeed it could. But I don't know of any Prosecutors /Deputy Prosecutors that would pursue charges if a squirt gun was used in the manner I described.

The police wouldn't have been involved. Or if the 'punks' parents called, the police would have told the punks parents they should control their 'punk' kids so they stop harassing the neighbor.

Stay safe

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Really.

Well said. Whatever happened to parents being parents? Instead people are whining and crying because somebody scared their poor little baby. Teach your kids to respect others and their property and this problem is gone.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Really.

Same here. Plus I wouldn't have been seen in public again for sometime.

Too many parents today don't want to hurt little tommy's feelings.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In

:rockwoot:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Wow, just WOW!

A LOT of really out of touch people here.

Harmless prank? Yeah today, what about tomorrow when they turn to Breaking and entering; car theft; arson; whatever?

Too damn many trophies handed out to the losers so they wouldn't feel bad! Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

4 kids turning on water faucets, yeah no real harm, no real foul. Over-reaction by the OP? What if it had been 4 kids about to break a window and crawl in the house to commit further crimes? It's just a window. Over-reaction? At what point are we as a society going to draw the line and quit coddling the little cretins? I'm climbing down off my soapbox before I really get wound up, wouldn't want to offend somebodies little darling who would never do anything wrong!

Please apply appropriate sarcasm marker to last several words in case you need it.

to clarify, I don't agree with using the weapon, unloaded or not to teach a known threat a lesson, probably not wise.

OP's mistake was admitting he knew what the threat was prior to engaging it. Prosecutors have a way of regurgitating things posted on gun forums.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom