• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I haven't had a Playstation since the original but I've got friends that will only buy them. They've had some issues but they were able to recalibrate the drive somehow through settings. Otherwise it was a $150 (or something close to that) fix from Sony but they're not DIY types when it comes to electronics. Should be able to open it up and get the specs, search those, and find a replacement. A quick search showed eBay and a few other places having them fairly cheap (under $50).

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Sega Dreamcast is where it's at! It's the only disk console I've never had a problem with!

I loved mine but the drive took a dump on me. Kinda still wish it worked for when I start up a nerd room or it could have been added to my brother and nephew's nerd collection. They've been buying up old systems and putting in a little work to get the systems and games going again.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I had an issue with mine reading blu-ray disks, while continuing to read everything else. I tried the movie I was hoping to watch, plus several more from my own collection and no joy. Still read DVD and game disks fine, but wouldn't play any blu-ray disks. Looked into a replacement and didn't really want to mess with it. I ended up getting a blu-ray drive to go into my HTPC and that worked pretty well. About 6 months later, I stuck a blu-ray into my PS3 again after forgetting it didn't work and it played it. It has worked ever since without my having done anything, so I have no idea what was wrong for that 6 months :dunno:

If it happens again though, I'll look at settings and see if the recalibration mentioned by sepe is an option. Actually I think I might dig through the options once I finish reading INGO to see if I can find that option.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I reset the system defaults but that didn't do anything but erase my data , YAY !

Youtube says I need to replace the lasers , anyone know where I can get them locally ?

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I doubt you would fine just the laser anywhere local. Amazon has the whole laser assembly for under $50, or you can find just the diodes on eBay if you are comfortable soldering
    Not comfortable solderig so I've got to get the whole assembly . Problem is , trying to figure out which ones are compatible since it looks like not all of them work with the 500gb cech 4001C model .

Top Bottom