• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Pete Visclosky will be at the Labor Day Parade in Lowell!

Come tell him how you feel about him voting for Obamacare!!

HANDS OFF OUR HEALTH CARE PETE!!!

Centier Bank
    1800 E Commercial Ave
    Lowell, IN 46356

Monday, September 7, 2009
    9:30 AM (COME EARLY)

Bring signs and flags!!

ITS A HOLIDAY - COME SHOW SOME PATRIOTISM FOR CRIPES SAKE

Directions (assuming you are coming from I-65)
    Exit off I-65 (exit 240) heading west on (Hwy-2 / W 181st Ave / E Commercial Ave) for a few miles until you are in Downtown Lowell. The staging area for the Parade is at the High school at the beginning of town on the right. A little further down on the left is a big bank for which would be a great place for protesters to meet.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'd like to point out that people line that parade route VERY EARLY in the morning. Many people stake out their spots the day before. The Lowell Labor Day Parade is one of the oldest and one of the largest Labor Day parades in the state!!!

If you are going to do this there should be some meet up point rather than simply having people go to the parade. The parade route starts on the far east side of town and runs all the way into the downtown area and through downtown where it breaks up west of the downtown district. It is a couple miles long.

It strikes me that having a few people scattered in the crowd protesting ObamaCare would not be very productive. Rather than that, the judges stage is set up downtown and there is usually a side street filled with food booths and other activities adjacent to the judges stage. I'd suggest that would be the best area for a meet up and that protestors should probably occupy that area as that is also where the media sets up to take pictures.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Thanks melensdad. Since I posted this the details have changed. I updated the OP. The meeting place for our group is at Centier Bank at 9:30 AM.

I don't get into town very often, but if I recall correctly the Centier Bank is on the far East side of town across the street from Lowell High School. That is the very start of the parade route. It is probably 1 mile to the west that people will want to be because the downtown area, with the judging stand is located in the heart of downtown.

Look at the map photo below. The parade follows Commercial Avenue. The marker on the far right of the photo is Centier Bank (according to Google).
    1b7b8a4d.png

The downtown area, judges stage and most activity is located at the left side of the map were you see a small river cut across the image (to the left of the #2). I believe that is where people should walk to so they can be noticed.

BTW, we do not ever go into town to attend the parade but if my wife is better (she is fighting a bad case of the flu) we will go in and join you.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    NWIP Blog

Lowell Labor Day Parade NWI Patriots Blog

Lowell Labor Day Parade

At least 35 people came to the Labor Day Parade in Lowell, IN, to give Rep. Peter Visclosky (D), IN District 1 a loud sendoff as he makes his way back to Washington after the summer recess. It was warm and sunny, a perfect day for a parade.
    Some of his constituents’ messages:
    Our American flag, which has been flown over the US Capitol in honor of Northwest Indiana Patriots and will be carried in the Taxpayer March on DC on 9/12, was there.
    Rep. Visclosky marched in the parade, waving to parade-watchers.
    When he came past our location, he was greeted with shouts of “Goodbye, Pete!” and “No Obamacare.”
    What a great country, where everyone is free to express their political opinions.
    The Lake County Tea Party participated in the parade. More details here.
    More photos here.
    Post Tribune coverage: Protesters target Visclosky at parade.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Post Tribune's Article

Protesters target Visclosky at parade :: Local News :: Post-Tribune

Protesters target Visclosky at parade

* Congressman's voting record on health-care the issue with some.

LOWELL -- About 30 protesters upset with U.S. Rep. Pete Visclosky's voting record waved signs against health care reform and shouted "No to Obamacare" at the congressman as he made his way past their group on the Labor Day parade route.

The group waved signs reading "Stop illegal immigration," "Healthcare reform is about control" and "healthcare reform is tort reform" and was largely undisruptive.

Protesters were organized by Northwest Indiana Patriots, formerly the NWI Tea Party. The group also had a float in the parade.

Alexis Hoffman of DeMotte said she wanted to let Visclosky know he no longer has her support.

"I don't feel he represents my views anymore or the views of anyone I talk to," Hoffman said.

She said she is hopeful the protest would help raise awareness and get people to ask questions of our legislators and become informed on the issues. People need to understand those protesting are not backed by corporations or lobbyists but are their neighbors, she said.

"Nobody pays me to do this. It comes from my heart," Hoffman said.

Tim Hall from Portage said he came out to protest because the current administration is weakening the Constitution.

"If someone doesn't stand up for our Constitution it will continue to get trampled," Hall said.

Visclosky was unshaken by the display and said he had heard positive comments as well from people along the parade route who were for health care reform.

"I think America is a wonderful place where people can express their opinions," Visclosky said.

Visclosky said organized labor has long worked to ensure the workers it represents have access to affordable health care, something all Americans should have access to.

"Organized labor has done so much to secure a living wage, affordable health care and a secure retirement" for its members, Visclosky said.

Town Council President Phillip Kuiper was watching the parade from the midway point. Kuiper said he was unaware of any attempts to protest. He said he hopes people remember that Visclosky has done a great deal for Northwest Indiana over the years.

As for health care reform, he said, it's a tough issue for people. "The American people voted for change. We will have to see what that change will be," Kuiper said.

Top Bottom