• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vesan87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    A little south of Indy
    I've done some research and I think I've found the generator I want to get. (link Below) I like Propane because I already have a couple tanks sitting around for my grill. From what I've read it burns cleaner and quieter then gas. I want this for temporary power outages during storms and such. I plan on investing a great deal more into a nice diesel generator in the near future but would like to get one now that could also serve as an emergency back to the diesel i'll get eventually. With this generator I should be able to run a natural gas furnace and some lighting with no problem? The price looks good and it ships really fast with amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BKI0UW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    These things eat propane. Make sure you have enough fuel. The BTU content of any non-liquid gas is less than gasoline or diesel. It takes more to get the same power from an internal combustion engine. You may want the propane to cook and boil water in an emergency or severe SHTF scenario. Think long about this. What will be more available resource.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This isn't going to be a shtf type generator. It's for short term power outages. Enough to keep a few lights on and run a gas furnace or small appliance.

I was not at all confused so relax.
    As I stated, these things are hungry for fuel. Just keep that in mind and do not be surprised at how much it costs to run.
    They do burn clean.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've done some research and I think I've found the generator I want to get. (link Below) I like Propane because I already have a couple tanks sitting around for my grill. From what I've read it burns cleaner and quieter then gas. I want this for temporary power outages during storms and such. I plan on investing a great deal more into a nice diesel generator in the near future but would like to get one now that could also serve as an emergency back to the diesel i'll get eventually. With this generator I should be able to run a natural gas furnace and some lighting with no problem? The price looks good and it ships really fast with amazon.

Amazon.com: Sportsman GEN4000LP 4000-Watt 7 HP OHV Propane Powered Portable Generator: Patio, Lawn & Garden

A 20# propane tank won't last you very long when powering a generator. You may want to invest in 2 or 3 portable 100# tanks if you plan to use it for short term power outages.

As for burning cleaner and quieter, well its partially true. Propane is slightly cleaner than gasoline, but it is no quieter. I have a tri-fuel generator. I've used it for the past 12+ years and tried it with different fuels. Its the same with every one of them. Gasoline power generates a bit more energy, propane derates it about 10%, natural gas derates it even more.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A 20# propane tank won't last you very long when powering a generator. You may want to invest in 2 or 3 100# tanks if you plan to use it for power outages.

As for burning cleaner and quieter, well its partially true. Propane is slightly cleaner than gasoline, but it is no quieter. I have a tri-fuel generator. I've used it for the past 12+ years and tried it with different fuels. Its the same with every one of them. Gasoline power generates a bit more energy, propane derates it about 10%, natural gas derates it even more.

^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^

vesan87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    A little south of Indy
    Natural gas is an option but i want something that's portable and small. Like i said above I plan on getting a diesel generator sometime in the near future for extended use. I couldn't find any natural gas generators that are as small and cheap as this one. And I believe the 4000 peak watt is good for what i'm doing with this one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is your choice after all. The downside is energy consumption. If you are OK with that it appears you have made your decision. I hope it works out well for you.

Last edited:

vesan87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    A little south of Indy
    I was not at all confused so relax.
    As I stated, these things are hungry for fuel. Just keep that in mind and do not be surprised at how much it costs to run.
    They do burn clean.

Relax? I would have used !!! if I needed to relax?

A 20# propane tank won't last you very long when powering a generator. You may want to invest in 2 or 3 portable 100# tanks if you plan to use it for short term power outages.

I've got 2 40# and 3 20# tanks for the grill. so assuming i run 50% load that's 70 hours of run time? Can I assume 35 hour run time at 100% load? And really this is just to keep a few lights on for short periods of time and maybe an appliance if needed. Since I can remember the power has never been out for over 3 days where I'm at.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I ordered the same one last week, got it yesterday and opened it today. It was all busted to heck, had to return it.
    Why did I buy it? For a lot of reasons. 1) Short-term power outage...I can power my furnace on an intermittent basis to keep the house from freezing. 2) On camping trips I can use it to recharge the battery of the pop-up as needed. 3) working on the farm I can power electrical tools.
    Why propane? because I have a 40# and two 20# bottles that are always full, propane is easy to store and transport and it doesn't "go bad." Yes, I realize that a 10 hour run time @ 50% load isn't great, but it's good enough for me.
    Will it power my house if SHTF? No, but that isn't what I'm looking for. If I was I'd do what my BIL did and purchase a hard-wired, hard piped (oversized) back up generator

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    We have a natural gas stand by Generac from home depot starts up atomatically after a delay of course. We love it make sure you know what you are doing if you install yourself if not make sure the installer has done it before

MechTech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    New Pal, IND
    I have seen cheap Military Diesel Generators on government liquidation sites in the past. They have been auctioning them from Stout Airfield last I saw. Could be a bit of overkill though...

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I would like to point out a flaw in thinking.

If a generator says it will run 10 hours on half load with 20 pounds of propane it will not, WILL NOT run 5 hours on full load with 20 pounds fo propane..

The power to fuel comsumption ratio is not standard, it is a curve..

I would suspect you may be able to get 3.5-4 hours at full load from 20#'s of propane.

Just my pennies..

TJ

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I would like to point out a flaw in thinking.

If a generator says it will run 10 hours on half load with 20 pounds of propane it will not, WILL NOT run 5 hours on full load with 20 pounds fo propane..

The power to fuel comsumption ratio is not standard, it is a curve..

I would suspect you may be able to get 3.5-4 hours at full load from 20#'s of propane.

Just my pennies..

TJ
    Exactly, which is why I suggested 100# tanks. If someone had 2 100# tanks they could get through one or two days, maybe up to 4 days, depending on the draw on the generator and how often it is run.

We tend to run our generator for fairly extended periods because we have most of our power failures in the winter and need the furnace running, so since its running we tend to have lights and TV on, etc. Rarely run the generator at 1/2, probably closer to 3/4 to 7/8ths most of the time.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    OP +2 for...
    1) starting to get prepared
    2) doing your research and making a decision that will best suit you

Once you get it let us know how it runs for your needs, any tips & tricks to it, what you did not like about it, heck don't forget to write a review and post it on INGO here:
    INGO "Real World" Reviews - INGunOwners

So others can make a better informed decision on going with this generator or some other type.

-Jedi

Top Bottom