• ...and so much more!
  • Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    :xmad:
    Ok, I'm getting real frustrated trying to get started reloading 223Rem.

Previously I had only used carbide dies, but my 223s are used in an AR, so I have to full length resize. I had created some test loads using LEE Case Lube (which was slow going), and when I asked for suggestions, heard a lot of good things about Hornaday One-Shot... so I figured I'd give it a try. The first case with Hornaday- STUCK... first stuck case I've ever had. :ugh:

:dunno:
    So, my question is what could I have done wrong? I thought I used ample lube, and covered the cases well. I put them out a paper towel- sprayed them thoroughly- let them dry- rolled them- repeated (as was recommended).

HELP! PLEASE HELP!!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I just started trying to reload .223 myself. I've done thousands and thousands of 9mm and .45 but not a single rifle before. I've heard some people having the same issue; obviously contacting Hornady is a must. When I started reading product reviews there were mixed reactions between users on the Hornady One Shot case lube. Midway USA has all the reviews and some were saying that you had to make absolutely sure the size die was cleaned free of the shipping oil. I have no clue if that makes a difference or not. I opted to use the Hornady Unique case lube that you have to put on by hand and I resized and deprimed probably 500 without a single issue. Not much help but I know, but give Hornady customer service a shout and see what they may suggest.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've used hornady one shot and love it BUTTTT at one time I didn't

my first reloading shop was unheated and I found out that if the One shot Froze, (which includes a time I left it in my truck after buying) it would seperate and take a lot and I mean a LOT of shaking to get it mixed again.

But I store my can's on thier side a lot of the time and alway shake a bunch,

What happend I notice that a new can didn't leave any white residue but a old can that was almost empty once it was shaken would leave a residue which after sizing I foudn the white residue to be very very slippery in the die.

Hope this helps but Shake for a full minute and try again,

Also on 223 if your using standard blocks for holding cases you don't get enough on the base, So I have started using 9mm plastic trays out of factory ammo boxes and then turning the cases over
    so I spray the top of the case and get a little in the mouths and then flop the cases over in another plastic tray and give the BASES a good shot.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    When I reload rifle, I just put a small bead of RCBS lube around the shoulder of approximately every 5th cartridge. I have found that this worked the best for me. With experience, I just got to where I "feel" when I need lube.
    I tried the Hornady case lube and just didn't like it, and I get a lot more use out of a bottle of the RCBS.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    If you are interested, I can send you a sample of some new lube I bought. It's really cheap, and seems to work incredibly well. I've sent out a couple samples already. It's the natural product that most other reloading lubes are based on. It's the consistency of vaseline and you rub a little on your fingers, then touch the outside of the cases as you load them. I've yet to have one even feel rough, let alone stick. It's also safe to leave on (I don't, but you can) for shooting, and its safe to interact with powder and primers (in case a little gets inside the neck. PM me your address if you are interested.

I've done about 3000 .223 cases and I barely have a dent in the top of a 1lb tub of the stuff.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If you are interested, I can send you a sample of some new lube I bought. It's really cheap, and seems to work incredibly well. I've sent out a couple samples already. It's the natural product that most other reloading lubes are based on. It's the consistency of vaseline and you rub a little on your fingers, then touch the outside of the cases as you load them. I've yet to have one even feel rough, let alone stick. It's also safe to leave on (I don't, but you can) for shooting, and its safe to interact with powder and primers (in case a little gets inside the neck. PM me your address if you are interested.

I've done about 3000 .223 cases and I barely have a dent in the top of a 1lb tub of the stuff.

Couldn't you just say "Imperial Sizing Die Wax" and be done with it?! :D

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I think it's anhydrous lanolin. I've been using Dillon spray lube. As with most spray lubes you have to wait until they are completely dry. This gives the alcohol time to evaporate. The Blue Press years ago had an article about an ROTC team. They would put their cases in a big zippered plastic bag. Spray them down then knead the bag. Lay them on a cookie sheet to dry. Have been doing this ever since.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    :xmad:
    Ok, I'm getting real frustrated trying to get started reloading 223Rem.

Previously I had only used carbide dies, but my 223s are used in an AR, so I have to full length resize. I had created some test loads using LEE Case Lube (which was slow going), and when I asked for suggestions, heard a lot of good things about Hornaday One-Shot... so I figured I'd give it a try. The first case with Hornaday- STUCK... first stuck case I've ever had. :ugh:

:dunno:
    So, my question is what could I have done wrong? I thought I used ample lube, and covered the cases well. I put them out a paper towel- sprayed them thoroughly- let them dry- rolled them- repeated (as was recommended).

HELP! PLEASE HELP!!

Do you clean your brass before your try to size it? I prefer to only run clean brass through my dies.

If these are new dies, you might have a rough spot in them. You might try polishing the inside of your die with some Flitz. I just take the decapper / expander ball out, twist up some paper towel with some flitz on it and chuck the end of the paper towel in a cordless drill and spin it for quite a while to smooth it up.

I use Lyman's spray lube, and have used RCBS's in the past. Never had cases stick with either.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Use the Hornady One Shot can for your next 100 yard target and do as Patriot says, use the RCBS II and a pad for the outside, get a tin of Imperial Sizing Wax for the neck (inside). You will be surprised at how much your brass DOESN'T stretch! That means less trimming. Which, if you haven't check that, do so before you crank out a bunch of ammo. ;)

Your case length has to be less than maximum or pressures will soar through the roof. One friend said he could see "streaks" following his bullets down range. It seems that some of the case neck was getting "pinched" in the chamber with the bullet and since there was not enough room for it all, it pulled off and went down the barrel too.

Not good.

Just reporting what he said, don't shoot the messenger if you disagree..........

Use the pad, RCBS II is cheap and is just simply works.

I did do a test a long while ago though and found Pam to work too, even better than One Shot.

Slim400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    INDIANAPOLIS SS IN
    223 reloading

After reloading 223 for about 25 years. I can remember those first weeks of trial and error. first thing I would say to you is there is a tool called a stuck case remover you will need one is very reusable as far as your lube. everybody has their preference I prefer a non-aerosol spray on lube

:twocents:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Use the Hornady One Shot can for your next 100 yard target and do as Patriot says, use the RCBS II and a pad for the outside, get a tin of Imperial Sizing Wax for the neck (inside). You will be surprised at how much your brass DOESN'T stretch! That means less trimming. Which, if you haven't check that, do so before you crank out a bunch of ammo. ;)

Your case length has to be less than maximum or pressures will soar through the roof. One friend said he could see "streaks" following his bullets down range. It seems that some of the case neck was getting "pinched" in the chamber with the bullet and since there was not enough room for it all, it pulled off and went down the barrel too.

Not good.

Just reporting what he said, don't shoot the messenger if you disagree..........

Use the pad, RCBS II is cheap and is just simply works.

I did do a test a long while ago though and found Pam to work too, even better than One Shot.

Out of all the brass I have re-sized, maybe 6-7 cases had to actually be trimmed.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Out of all the brass I have re-sized, maybe 6-7 cases had to actually be trimmed.

Do you use a little on the inside of the neck? I take a case and dip it into the Imperial Sizing Wax OR I "scoot" it neck down on the pad. Not every case but a few to keep the sizing pin "lubed".

The reason the case grows is because it gets necked down undersize and then the pin brings it back to the right size for the caliber. Doing that unlubed can, and has, made case lengths grow quite a bit.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I use the One Shot on all my rifle brass: 243 Win, 300wsm, and 338 Lapua. When I FL size, I spray down the cases 360*. Then before I start running them through the die, I clean the die and then spray down the inside of the die. I have stuck a few cases, but all have been in the first few I reloaded. After that, I haven't had any trouble. Try spraying the inside of the die too and see if that helps.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I use the Dillon Spray or the Frankford Arsenal (midway brand) in the pump sprayer. I lay the brass on it's side on a cookie tray. I spray just enough (Like two or thee pumps for 100 pieces of .223.) that each case gets SOME, not a lot and then I roll them around with my hand to get them even and let the stuff dry for about 10 minutes. Don't set your brass on anything absorbant, it will wick the lube out as long as the solvent is still wet. The first five or six, I rub all the way around each neck with my fingers to make sure lube is everywhere. I also rub the case mouth across my fingertips to get just the tinyest bit of lube on the first ones. I have never stuck a piece of brass since I have been using a cookie sheet, and that is about 25 years ago. I know that they always picture spraying in loading trays, but like the man said, that is not the best wat to do it.

Shooter has a good tip, about a small spray in a new or freshly cleaned die. Just be sure to wait long enough for the alcohol to evaporate.

Last edited:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    What does

"rolled them, repeated"

involve?

I've used One Shot on thousands upon thousands of cases, and not stuck one. Flip them upright into a block out of an MTM, shake can, spray, resize. No cleaning, no rolling, no repeating, no nothing.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I've had good success with the Hornady One-Shot spray.

I put 100-125 cases (.223) in a empty one gallon Schwan's ice cream container. Then I spray several times as I shift the container around. This gets lube on most everything. Then I start sizing. Works well for me.

mrs0gl.jpg

In the picture, you can see to the right that I use the Schwan's lids as working trays. It keeps things from rolling around and helps keep lot identity.

The best part is collecting lots of the Schwan's containers! :) Excellent ice cream! :yesway:

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Do you use a little on the inside of the neck? I take a case and dip it into the Imperial Sizing Wax OR I "scoot" it neck down on the pad. Not every case but a few to keep the sizing pin "lubed".

The reason the case grows is because it gets necked down undersize and then the pin brings it back to the right size for the caliber. Doing that unlubed can, and has, made case lengths grow quite a bit.

I use a neck brush.

Top Bottom