• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    My eyesight has always been terrible. I have worn glasses or contacts since 4th grade. I had started to get interested in laser surgery the last 10 years or so, the advances they are making there is incredible. I finally went in to LasikPlus on the north side of Indy for a free consultation. My corneas were too thin for lasik, but they could do PRK, which is the “original” laser surgery. Main difference is that prk recovery is longer, as opposed to basically the next day for lasik, and prk can be done on thinner corneas and may be a bit better long run. That is from my surgeon, not me. They do recommend prk for people who do rougher work, mma, boxing, etc. I’m too old for that stuff now, but went with prk because of my corneas. Had it done last Friday morning. Took about 2 minutes! They put a “bandage” contact lens in each eye that I will get removed this Thursday. Vision was immediately better, not 20/20, but better. They said that won’t last, and they were right. By evening my eyes were scratchy and vision was bad. Saturday and Sunday the same, bad vision and irritated scratchy eyes. Today when I woke up, no irritation in the eyes and my vision is much better. They say it will probably take a few weeks to hit 20/20 and I should be able to drive in a few days. Honestly, I think I would be okay driving right now if I had to. I am looking forward to the next few weeks and 20/20 without lenses for the first time in 45 years! Insurance, at least mine, won’t pay for it, but the cost was reasonable to us and definitely worth it to me.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sounds like it's going to work out fine for you. That is good. My daughter had it done, but still ended up in glasses/contacts.

I had lasik done 24 years ago. Still 20/20 but I do wear readers.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I didn't have RPK but regular Lasik on my eyes back in 2001, BEST money I've ever spent on myself. Still 20/20 after 22+ years.
    Sounds like it's going to work out fine for you. That is good. My daughter had it done, but still ended up in glasses/contacts.

I had lasik done 24 years ago. Still 20/20 but I do wear readers.

Denny and grekl, do you mind if I ask how old you were when you had the Lasik performed 22 + years ago?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I did PRK back in 1994 at the age of 38 near the end of the FDA testing in Indy.

It was at what was referred to at that time as Price-Whitson, Cornea Institute of Indiana on North Meridian a little south of I-465.
    I figured at the time if I did it during the study, I'd be treated by either Price or Whitson and not a student learning the procedure.

I remember the laser machine they used was called a Chiron Technolas(sp?).

I was badly nearsighted, about 20/400 in both eyes with bad astigmatism in my left eye.
    THOUGH my vision with glasses corrected to 20/15.

After the procedure, I was prescribed eye drops for some weeks.
    Early on, my vision would vary throughout the day, but began to stabilize as time went on.
    I ended up with 20/20 vision that wasn't quite as good as the 20/15 I had with glasses before the procedure.
    But I loved that I wasn't a slave to glasses.

It's about 30 years later, and I still see pretty good and don't need anything but reading glasses sometimes.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Doh! you already had your surgery...

I was going to suggest Dr. Price at Price Vision Group. https://pricevisiongroup.com/

He's literally a world renowned cornea expert. He did my wife's LASIK on her very very thin corneas.

So - if anyone reading this in the future has been told they have thin corneas, get a 2nd opinion from the PVG. Seriously.

I had mine about 4.5 years ago now. And I wish I'd have done it 20 years ago. I don't even remember know who did mine; the company name isn't showing up in a Google Maps search of where it was I had mine done. MAY have been TLC, but I had mine done in Castleton up by the FBI HQ. Zero complaints...other than now I'm definitely more sensitive to bright lights, have a slightly harder time seeing at night, and some haloing effects at night / oncoming headlights.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Doh! you already had your surgery...

I was going to suggest Dr. Price at Price Vision Group. https://pricevisiongroup.com/

He's literally a world renowned cornea expert. He did my wife's LASIK on her very very thin corneas.

So - if anyone reading this in the future has been told they have thin corneas, get a 2nd opinion from the PVG. Seriously.

I had mine about 4.5 years ago now. And I wish I'd have done it 20 years ago. I don't even remember know who did mine; the company name isn't showing up in a Google Maps search of where it was I had mine done. MAY have been TLC, but I had mine done in Castleton up by the FBI HQ. Zero complaints...other than now I'm definitely more sensitive to bright lights, have a slightly harder time seeing at night, and some haloing effects at night / oncoming headlights.
    Well crap...i was getting ready to ask if it would improve driving at night. I already have issues with that. :(

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    So day four since surgery. My eyes feel fine, no dry eyes, scratchy etc. that went away yesterday. I would say I am about
    20/60, 20/80 without glasses, which is freaking awesome. Should get up to 20/20 in a week or so, maybe two. Already worth it. I couldn’t see crap before without glasses, now I can walk around and do stuff,

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    My wife had a consult at Price Vision and turns out she isn't a candidate for lasik or prk. Her vision is too bad along with too thin corneas. So they recommended a lens replacement Of course it's a lot more than lasik but says the results will be long last. She's still thinking about but I'm pretty sure that she's gonna go for it. She hasn't be able to see since grade school and her eyes are getting to the point of needing bifocal contacts which she hates. I keep hearing that Price is the best but I'm sure that comes with a cost but I figure eyes are something we shouldn't cheap out on LOL

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    I went to https://www.people-lasik.com/ and had the SMILE method done last April. The results are awesome. It cost me $2020 per eye and I was able to finance it 0% for 2 years. Then I worked night shift and had issues with lights but now I have no problems with lights at night. I should have done it sooner.

I regret wearing contacts for as many years as I did. I got an ulcer on my eye from wearing contacts too long and about lost an eye.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Denny and grekl, do you mind if I ask how old you were when you had the Lasik performed 22 + years ago?
    I was 40 when I had it done. The doc made one eye slightly weaker than the other to buy me some time before I needed readers. I didn't need them until I was in my 50's.

That said, if I had to do it again, I would have had him either make both the same or do the opposite eye that he did weaker. I'm cross dominant and it has messed with my ability to shoot for years.

Thank God for red dots! :)

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    So day four since surgery. My eyes feel fine, no dry eyes, scratchy etc. that went away yesterday. I would say I am about
    20/60, 20/80 without glasses, which is freaking awesome. Should get up to 20/20 in a week or so, maybe two. Already worth it. I couldn’t see crap before without glasses, now I can walk around and do stuff,
    Buy the GOOD / Expensive eye drops to keep on your person at all times. Not Visine. The GOOD ones. The ones that expire in a few months. Use them more than you think you should.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My wife had a consult at Price Vision and turns out she isn't a candidate for lasik or prk. Her vision is too bad along with too thin corneas. So they recommended a lens replacement Of course it's a lot more than lasik but says the results will be long last. She's still thinking about but I'm pretty sure that she's gonna go for it. She hasn't be able to see since grade school and her eyes are getting to the point of needing bifocal contacts which she hates. I keep hearing that Price is the best but I'm sure that comes with a cost but I figure eyes are something we shouldn't cheap out on LOL
    Dr. Price is the absolute best in this half of the country at what he does.

There are other physicians in his office/group. And he doesn't hire or keep those who don't hold to his standards. You MAY be able to get another physician in his group who MAY charge less. Worth inquiring about.

My wife's eyes were bad enough that Dr. Price himself did her LASIK. Thankfully she was still a candidate; but just barely.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Dr. Price is the absolute best in this half of the country at what he does.

There are other physicians in his office/group. And he doesn't hire or keep those who don't hold to his standards. You MAY be able to get another physician in his group who MAY charge less. Worth inquiring about.

My wife's eyes were bad enough that Dr. Price himself did her LASIK. Thankfully she was still a candidate; but just barely.
    I'm not sure who would be doing the procedure, don't think the gal that did the exam mentioned it to her.

Top Bottom