• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I totally agree with your point here. If you buy something and the price goes up you should rightly so be able to sell for a profit and feel good about yourself. What I don't agree with is people sniping stuff off of online retailers for the sole purpose of immediately turning around and auctioning the item off for a profit when the item is something that the buyer/seller has no desire to own. (It's bit of a run on sentence there grammar police. I apologize.)

What makes a guy buying gun related stuff to resell any different than picking, yard saling, flea marketing, etc? What makes guns so holy that it's immoral to buy and resell for a profit?

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Why are firearms people "price gouging" their fellow firearms people? I know its a free market but that doesn't make it right. I get supply and demand but what i don't get is why people want to add to the sickening unnecessary rise in price of AR's. The only thing I can think of is most people are willing to screw their fellow gun enthusiasts in favor of the "all mighty dollar". This sickens me.

Free market sucks. How about we base the price on your ability to pay for it. We can have a tier system based on income. Heck maybe we can implement this for cars also. I've always wanted a Mercedes S-Class.

IRISH1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    South Bend
    IF you were in their position you would be price gouging and they would be in your predicament. Its hard to say that you wouldn't if you are not in fact in that position or never have been before.

Brian S.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Toto, IN
    I totally agree with your point here. If you buy something and the price goes up you should rightly so be able to sell for a profit and feel good about yourself. What I don't agree with is people sniping stuff off of online retailers for the sole purpose of immediately turning around and auctioning the item off for a profit when the item is something that the buyer/seller has no desire to own. (It's bit of a run on sentence there grammar police. I apologize.)

So you're saying that it's wrong to buy stuff you don't want for yourself and sell it for a profit?

Sounds an awful lot like an awful lot of businesses…

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If lowers ever go below $100 again, I'll probably buy 10 of them. If wolf 223 ever goes below $200 per k, I'll probably buy 10k. Why can't I invest in that like I do my 401k?

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Why are firearms people "price gouging" their fellow firearms people? I know its a free market but that doesn't make it right. I get supply and demand but what i don't get is why people want to add to the sickening unnecessary rise in price of AR's. The only thing I can think of is most people are willing to screw their fellow gun enthusiasts in favor of the "all mighty dollar". This sickens me.

Because people pay the price.

I don't enjoy it, but I have no problem with it...no different than gold, stocks, pork bellies, or corn.

Buy low, sell high, if you're really lucky you catch them at the right time.

Why are guns special in this regard.

I had been planning on buying an AR15 in March when my bonus comes through. Unless prices get back to normal, it won't happen. It sucks, but I'm not going to begrudge a guy taking an opportunity to maximize his money because he is willing to part with something in high demand.

While I understand that you aren't advocating government rules to control prices, price controls are communistic, the free market lets prices float.

As I said, I'm not enjoying it, but I wish more things were allowed to float as freely with supply and demand.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon

So will you sell me all your guns, mags and ammo for what you have in them or less even though they are worth more now? :dunno:

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    There is nothing wrong with making a reasonable profit but when you start charging double or more that in my opinion is too much and me and the other 98% of the people I know cant afford it. I will eventually buy one but I will wait until the frenzy is over and the prices come back down to the price I can afford.

As you said...your opinion...the market disagrees...the market is right.

Your perception that the prices are too high are based solely on the value you place on your money vs. the value you place on an AR.

No one has a right to buy any particular item at the time of his choosing or at the price of his choosing unless market factors happen to coincide with his preferences.

It is what it is...resolve to wait or figure out how to trade some of the time you would have otherwise spent complaining about prices to earn more money to be able to afford what you want with your particular time preference in mind.

While 1,000,000 may be a bit high, it is getting rather tiresome.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

Now, no one without an FFL would do that, at least not regularly....that would be operating as a business and punishable by years at the GrayBar motel with a friendly new roommate.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    There is nothing wrong with making a reasonable profit but when you start charging double or more that in my opinion is too much and me and the other 98% of the people I know cant afford it. I will eventually buy one but I will wait until the frenzy is over and the prices come back down to the price I can afford.

Would someone please show me where in the Constitution we all have the right to be able to afford an AR.....................or anything else we feel we want. :dunno:

When you find it please let me know where, I want to use it to buy a 1965 Shelby GT 350R for the $5175.00 they sold for new in 1965!
    :rolleyes:

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    What makes a guy buying gun related stuff to resell any different than picking, yard saling, flea marketing, etc? What makes guns so holy that it's immoral to buy and resell for a profit?

I'm just saying it isn't something I could do with a clean conscience :twocents: The main difference is that there probably is enough "stuff" for the people who really want it if the "investors" would stop buying. Reselling flea market and garage sale items is different than buying currently in production items at MSRP or below and and selling for a profit. I understand that this is free market economics. I also saw what happened to the stock market when people were raking in tons of money through short term investments...

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    Now, no one without an FFL would do that, at least not regularly....that would be operating as a business and punishable by years at the GrayBar motel with a friendly new roommate.

Please tell me that you DO understand that this is happening?

And as far as gun parts and accessories being sold, one can simply read the listings on gun broker and ebay for magazines and bolt carrier groups and instantly ascertain that many of those item descriptions were written by people with absolutely no knowledge of what they are selling.

Last edited:

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    I'm just saying it isn't something I could do with a clean conscience :twocents: The main difference is that there probably is enough "stuff" for the people who really want it if the "investors" would stop buying. Reselling flea market and garage sale items is different than buying currently in production items at MSRP or below and and selling for a profit. I understand that this is free market economics. I also saw what happened to the stock market when people were raking in tons of money through short term investments...

And what where you doing on the 14th & 15th of December when these people where out buying this stuff up. Seems to me everyone that wanted to buy this stuff had ample chance both before Dec.14th and the day after if they really wanted it.

What it boils down to is those who made it a priorty to stack it high and deep are the winners and those who didn't now feel cheated they wasted there chance to do it.

Life isn't like a youth soccer game where nobody keeps score, there are winners and losers and it isn't always fair.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Please tell me that you DO understand that this is happening?

And as far as gun parts and accessories being sold, one can simply read the listings on gun broker and ebay for magazines and bolt carrier groups and instantly ascertain that many of those item descriptions were written by people with absolutely no knowledge of what they are selling.

Do you have a 401k? Do you know everything about your 401k investment? Every company you're invested in?

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    So will you sell me all your guns, mags and ammo for what you have in them or less even though they are worth more now? :dunno:

Exactly. I bought an AR back around Labor Day. Dealer calls me offering me $300 more than what I paid him for it. So if he can give me $300 extra he is making more than that. So why should I not sell myself and keep all the profit to me?
    Same with the ammo. I had 2000 rounds dropped at my door for under $750. Now it's going for $700+ per 1K on some sites.
    Same with the $10 Pmags I bought. I would not sell any of it for my cost, I will sell it at "elevated" fair market value.

Price gouging is all around us in every aspect not just firearms. It's all about supply and demand. Unfortunately like the OP I waited a few days too long to make a few buys and now I'm kicking myself. Now I know if I plan on making a purchase I won't say "I'll just wait til the weekend" like I did Dec. 12th.

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    I do not have a 401K. I have a Thrift Savings Plan of which I have very very very little control over, As well as a small pension.

Some people, including myself, have not had the financial ability to "stack it high and deep" and have been making small, modest purchases in an attempt to get together a stock pile and have gotten caught up in this mess while trying to get supplies together. Had many of us been given another couple years before this mess started then we could join you in brow beating the lowlings who were caught unprepared. I'm sure there was a time when everyone with a stock pile of guns and ammo didn't have one.

And I guess I'll never be rich in a capitalist marketplace.

Top Bottom