• JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    OMG... This thread...

Do you who think the Prez has carte blanche to declassify anything really want to give that power to Biden? Every power you ascribe to Trump you must be willing to ascribe to Biden.

I am not cool with that. The president has become way too powerful as it is.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You don't need to read it, it is Obama's rules for handling classified material. It's an EO, so any other president can just supersede it with one of his own, buried within which ex-presidents can be exempted from the strictures

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Do you who think the Prez has carte blanche to declassify anything really want to give that power to Biden? Every power you ascribe to Trump you must be willing to ascribe to Biden.
    Yes I do. I believe in the constitution, it is up to the people to elect qualified individuals to uphold the office the constitution created.

I am not cool with that. The president has become way too powerful as it is.
    Agreed on increasing presidential power, this is not some novel power, all presidents have had the powers vested by the constitution in the office of President, commander in chief, head of the executive branch.

I would find it amusing, if it were not so tragic the lack of constitutional understanding here. The founders were worried about the President becoming a king, they did not seem not worried about the documents of his administration, nor whether they were government property or the president’s.

What would be more executive than the President having full autonomous control of the documents of his office?

other guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Peru Indiana
    The PRA will not be found to hold up to constitutional scrutiny against a presidents constitutional duties that is why the courts give much deference to the President. They knew when they wrote it it would not pass constitutional muster.

Federal judge Amy Berman:

“As another court in this district has observed, “[t]he PRA incorporates an assumption made by Congress (in 1978) that subsequent Presidents and Vice Presidents would comply with the Act in good faith, and therefore Congress limited the scope of judicial review and provided little oversight authority for the President and Vice President's document preservation decisions.” CREW v. Cheney,”
    Whether it is constitutional or not will be for the courts to decide. until they do it is the law of the land

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If I’m president, at the end of my term, I’m trotting my ass ovoer to NSA, taking as many secret documents as I can and anything related to spying on Americans I’m declassifying, declaring them to be my personal documents and putting them all online.

Can I do that legally?
    The constitutional answer and the answer for the bureaucratic government we have now will be different. This is why it is critical the citizens select a President carefully. The framers never foresaw the type of data NSA would have on everyday Americans.

So since the framers vested the power of the executive branch to the president and it is fairly undisputed that they had the ultimate authority over the documents of their administrations, as there were few disputes until Nixon, what changed in the constitution to limit a president’s authority over documents?

We gave government too much power with things like NSA and now folks are concerned because the President is exercising powers that always existed…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Whether it is constitutional or not will be for the courts to decide. until they do it is the law of the land
    Isn’t it funny, you guys deny what the courts have said

We have one courts published opinion, but you will not acknowledge it. I repost

I will let judge Berman tell you.

“In the Court's view, plaintiff reads too much into this statement. Under the statutory scheme established by the PRA, the decision to segregate personal materials from Presidential records is made by the President, during the President's term and in his sole discretion

“IN HIS SOLE DISCRETION”

This as a close as we have to a court decision.

And more:

The Court notes at the outset that there is broad language in Armstrong I stating that the PRA accords the President “virtually complete control” over his records during his time in office. 924 F.2d at 290. In particular, the court stated that the President enjoys unconstrained authority to make decisions regarding the disposal of documents: “[a]lthough the President must notify the Archivist before disposing of records ... neither the Archivist nor Congress has the authority to veto the President's disposal decision.” Id., citing H.R. Rep. No. 95–1487, at 13 (1978), reprinted in 1978 U.S.C.C.A.N. at 5744. Since the President is completely entrusted with the management and even the disposal of Presidential records during his time in office, it would be difficult for this Court to conclude that Congress intended that he would have less authority to do what he pleases with what he considers to be his personal records.

other guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Peru Indiana

“In the Court's view, plaintiff reads too much into this statement. Under the statutory scheme established by the PRA, the decision to segregate personal materials from Presidential records is made by the President, during the President's term and in his sole discretion

“IN HIS SOLE DISCRETION”

And more:

The Court notes at the outset that there is broad language in Armstrong I stating that the PRA accords the President “virtually complete control” over his records during his time in office. 924 F.2d at 290. In particular, the court stated that the President enjoys unconstrained authority to make decisions regarding the disposal of documents: “[a]lthough the President must notify the Archivist before disposing of records ... neither the Archivist nor Congress has the authority to veto the President's disposal decision.” Id., citing H.R. Rep. No. 95–1487, at 13 (1978), reprinted in 1978 U.S.C.C.A.N. at 5744. Since the President is completely entrusted with the management and even the disposal of Presidential records during his time in office, it would be difficult for this Court to conclude that Congress intended that he would have less authority to do what he pleases with what he considers to be his personal records.
    A judge can say whatever they want but until a law is ruled unconstitutional it is constitutional period

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

“IN HIS SOLE DISCRETION”

And more:

Trump is relying heavily on this case as a defense. Should be interesting to see how it plays out in the future.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Trump is relying heavily on this case as a defense. Should be interesting to see how it plays out in the future.
    I keep asking who has constitutional authority over the president concerning documents of his administration, I get this vague interpretation that bureaucrats have some control but not all, that the outcome of a criminal situation is precedent for the congress usurping the Presidents constitutionally given powers…

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I keep asking who has constitutional authority over the president concerning documents of his administration, I get this vague interpretation that bureaucrats have some control but not all, that the outcome of a criminal situation is precedent for the congress usurping the Presidents constitutionally given powers…
    I understand the particulars of discussion. I'm just interested in how it will play out in the future.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I understand the particulars of discussion. I'm just interested in how it will play out in the future.
    I do not believe it will play out because they went nuclear with criminal charges I expect them to be deferential to the President. To do otherwise will open a huge can of worms…

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I expect they're pretty confident Club 'That's Not Who We Are' will never have the stones to turn the tables on them

Or, worse yet, they expect if they can grab enough power they'll never have to worry about a president they don't approve of being elected

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Don't put words in my mouth
    Like I said you don’t belong here and are just trolling. In punctuation the question mark indicates that a question is being asked how is that putting words in your mouth? (HINT, THERE WAS A QUESTION MARK ON THAT SENTENCE INDICATING A QUESTION WAS ASKED…)

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    I joined this site in 2012 for the purpose of selling some firearms I had. In order to place an ad in the marketplace you had to have 50 posts on scorecard. So I got my 50 post and over the next year sold multiple firearms. Once sold I quit coming to the site. well, I'm ready to sell some more weapons so I came to the site and figured I would get a little activity going and then post on marketplace. I am reminded of why I left the site in the first place. I find it interesting that you definitly know the Trump playbook of accusing someone of what you a guilty of,for example, Trump says Biden is weaponizingy the justice dept which is exactly what Trump did with Barr. It is exactly what you are doing when you accuse me of having multiple accounts. I dont but I believe you do. You actually carry on conversations with yourself. But I dont really care I will sell my guns and be gone.
    Did you ever list those weapons? I might be interested if you have something really cool to sell.

Top Bottom