Prescription Shooting Glasses for trap and other stuff...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I am just not comfortable with the coverage that regular glasses provides any longer, so I am looking for a pair of dedicated shooting glasses. The problem is that I have a tricky prescription (per my optometrist).

So what I am looking for are true prescription glasses that wrap around my face - for shooting trap mostly, but for other "might-get-stuff-in-my-eye-that-burns-and/or-doesn't-belong" activities as well.

I have seen several models that have a interchangeable lenses with some sort of RX insert that is separate, so I can change colors and have my RX in each one. Something like the "Rudy Project" offerings...but I am not really sure how stout something like that is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and just knowing what a few others have used successfully seems like the way to go... :)

Thanks for your time and all input would be greatly appreciated.

-Drew

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I own a pair of prescription Rudy Project sunglasses and they are without doubt the best I have ever owned. I have the Ketyum frames and 2 pair of lenses...one I use for cycling and general outdoor activities and another set of impactx photo chromatic for shooting and upland bird hunting.

The frames are very comfortable and the lenses are super easy to switch out. The only downside is they are pretty pricey. I have an optometrist friend in Utah who hooked me up (I just emailed him my rx) and they were still expensive.

Lots of people like the Rydon frame but I didn't care for the ear pieces. They were too long and rigid (uh....huh...huh....that's what she said). The Ketyum frames fit me well and offer very good coverage.

I would highly recommend them. And if you know the frame you want and have your rx, PM me and I can get my buddy to get a quote on the pricing for you.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County

Looks like those use Rx inserts, yes? I tried a couple of shooting glasses over the years with prescription inserts and found quite a bit of visual distortion around the perimeter of my field of view. That's why I decided to pony up for actual corrective lenses without inserts.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    At big trap shoots "Decot HyWad" and "Ranger" brands of shooting glasses pretty much have almost everyone covered. The thing I like about the Decot product is that you can have a kit made with several colors of lenses for different background colors and light conditions. The sets are made so that the lenses clip in and out of the frames without tools.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I've been shopping for some new glasses, mine are many years old. I don't need prescription since I wear contacts, BUT, if I could avoid contacts and get a better prescription for shooting, I am open to the idea.

The Rudy's are WAY above the budget I am willing to spend on safety glasses.

Searching around, I came across the WileyX brand. They are on the upper end of what I want to spend (even w/o prescription in the $40-$85 range). On their website, it appears you need mil ID to order prescriptions, but I think if you went through an optometrist that would be ok.

http://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/ProductListing.aspx?ActivityCode=TACTICAL&SeriesCode=173
    Wiley X | Tactical Prescriptions

not sure it's what I'm going with yet, and I'll look at some other options mentioned above, too.

-rvb

Last edited:

Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I saw the Wiley X glasses too, I think I will give my optometrist a call an see what he recommends...if I run across a good deal I will post it here. Thanks for the info guys.

-Drew

Top Bottom