• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    So a buddy and are going to make our first trip out west to hut prairie dog in the next couple weeks and think we are got an good plan on what to take but still trying to decide where to start. I have heard and read a lot of successful stories of people just knocking on doors asking to hunt and getting permission. Was wondering if anyone had a suggestion of what town or area to start in? Any help would be appreciated!

If you have gone and thought of something that you wished you had taken or for sure will take next time let me know.

Thanks

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    So where out west are you planning on going?
    I've been going to South Dakota since '99. Started out on a private ranch near Custer, then spread out into the Buffalo Gap grassland. My brother and I made a day trip into Wyoming one year, then I started hitting Ft. Pierre grassland.
    The Buffalo Gap has been hit hard by plague. I had an area on the bluffs overlooking the Cheyenne river that was hit around 2010. I missed getting out there in '11 &'12, and when I went out in '13 the area was bare. I checked on it last year, drove back on a single track about 1/2 mile and saw maybe 1 dozen p-dogs. I used to be able to spend all day out there.

Last year I did stop at the grasslands office in Hot Springs to get a new map, and the guy gave me a lead on a private landowner nearby. I never did find him, but it's good to chat up the folks in the grasslands offices.

The next best place I have found is on the Ft. Pierre grasslands. The Grasslands office has a big map that shows p-dog towns, with approximate size in acres. The only problem is: some roads are shut down to vehicle travel certain times of the year(June15-Aug31).

If you want to find places to shoot in SoDak by knocking on doors, try stopping into a small diner and asking. There is a diner just off I-90, at the exit going north to Pierre, that would be a place to start. Shooting on the grasslands will cost you $40 for a varmint license...private land will cost you the license fee plus whatever the landowner wants to charge(?$50/gun?).

What will you need for the trip?
    Camping gear if you plan on camping on the grasslands. To be safe, bring a portable gas grill because not all areas are open for campfires(and buy firewood where you will be camping, DON'T transport firewood).
    Plenty of water. I drink about one bottle per hour.
    Range finder.
    Portable shooting bench. Mine is like this: Booger Bench Plans | Hunter's Campfire | 24hourcampfire
    Sand bags. Mine are Cardwell filled with rice, easy to position.
    Boolits: The most I have ever shot in one day is about 70 rounds, If you use an AR and like to spray....bring more.
    A 7-day cooler. I keep my food in one, drinks in another.
    Rifle: I have a Savage 12BVSS in .223 and 22-250 with Burris scopes. Getting 500 yard shots is not unusual, most of my shots are in the 200-300 yd range.
    Personal safety items like eye and ear pro, sunscreen, first aid kit.
    Grassland Maps: these can be bought online, or stop in at the grasslands office and chat up the folks working there. I think they are around $10-12.

That's off the top of my head, any questions you think of-ask away.

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I was just talking with a local gentleman about this the other day.

He has been going to Bison SD, staying at the Jackson hotel, and the lady at the front desk gives him the name of people to call to hunt. Says he never has a problem finding a spot and has an absolute blast.

He says there is also an indian reservation (Lakota) near by that charges like $80/day for guided hunts, which might be a good way to start to get an idea of whats going on, but he also said they aren't really guided, more like dropped off.

Top Bottom