• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • happysmitie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    crawfordsville
    i have a shoulder injury , most likely a rotator . have had the same before & i know the pain & discomfort it causes . mri next few days on right shoulder .
    went to the range to find out how i fared shooting . fired a light weight commander w/230 gr. fired this large caliber just to test my limits . TOO MUCH . the recoil impulse went up my arm like a laser & & stopped at the exact point on my injured shoulder place ! wow ... the worst recoil i ever had , and yes , i have shot many guns in a lot of calibers . i do not carry or usually do not load this gun . the next i fired was a gun i load & carry , a glock 9mm 43 . used mostly left hand & got decent results . i carry & keep this gun for home protection most of time . managed 4 mags thru each gun from 12 yds . amazinly i manged to get the rounds on a reduced silo target with the 45 .... ... the glock proved a good bit better control was much improved. have a ruger sp also kept for home protection . will be taking it to the range & fire it with 38 cal. fodder . usually keep it loaded with deadly mag safe loads , which have little recoil.
    good to know what my limitations are with this injury & what might be the best guns to employ

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    A couple of years ago, I tore my rotator cuff badly and had to switch to shooting lefty for about 6 months while I went under the knife and healed. By the end of the rehab process, I was pretty comfortable shooting lefty but I’ve been neglecting that skill again. It was probably 9 month on before I started shooting .40 again and maybe a year before I was comfortable with a .44 mag and 12 gauge.

That episode convinced me that having a true ambidextrous gun in the collection, and practicing with it is good insurance. Plus, having a left hand holster makes the transition easy. There was about a week or two that I didn’t carry in the house right after surgery but I was in did keep something near me. My ambi-gun is a P10C and is easy to shoot left or right handed. It helps that it’s completely ambi without the need to swap parts around.

Cheeki Breeki

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Muncie
    A few months ago A couple of my tendons were severed along my pinky and ring finger on my dominant hand, and it has been somewhat difficult adjusting to not having full use of it. In order to shoot normally I have to have both hands on the pistol or else I’ll most likely limp wrist it one handed. Once I wrap my off hand around my dominant hand I have a secure grip, but I should probably switch to carrying left handed just in case something were to incapacitate my left arm/hand during a situation where I’d need it most while relying on my right hand which has limited use currently.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Bro, you need to find out how severe that injury is, yesterday. Rotar/labrum issues aren't something you want to fool with because the effects can be long lasting.

This is good advice. The length of time after the injury impacts the final outcome. Torn tendons will retract over time and will not be able to be reattached or at least, not reattached as well. I got the shoulder cut within 2 months of the injury and the outcome has been great. That shoulder has been better since the surgery than it was in the preceding 20 years.

Tendons don’t heal by themselves.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I tore my right bicep (I'm right handed) last year and had surgery to repair it, and another surgery about 7 weeks ago to remove bone spurs that prevented supination of my arm. A couple of weeks ago my buddies and I are shot a sectional bullseye match in Elkhart. My right arm was still weak and shakey, and I get sore holding up my Pardini. So I've been practicing shooting left handed with my Black Mamba. I ended up 2nd in my class, about where I score most of the time. My score was only 5 points behind (out of 900) what I did in 2019 at the same match. Not too bad.

I did practice weak-handed quite a bit before the injury. In the Blythe's pistol league, I have a few drills and COFs that employ weak-hand shooting. In cowboy action, I have been shooting Gunfighter style since they started that class. That is a SA revolver in each hand, alternating shots. I always encourage shooters to practice with both hands. You never know what might happen, plus it just makes you a better ahooter overall. Tonight at Blythe's I have a new COF for everyone; all weak-handed shooting. I've been doing that for a few weeks there, so I wanted everyone to see what that's like.

It's not easy having an injury on your shooting hand/arm. Hope you guys heal quickly and fully. Once you heal though, keep up the practice with your weak hand. It will only make you a better shooter and could help in case of an injury to your dominant hand/arm.

happysmitie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    crawfordsville
    yes ..... these injury is serious . as stated in my original post , i have had both shoulders before. one about 10 yrs. ,ago. the other around 12 yrs. after my mri next week i will be scheduling the surgery. until then 1 am not using the injured arm under any strain . both shoulders before were done at sports med surgery center. this one may be done at st. vincent hand & shoulder center . had carpel tunnel surgery done on right hand a few months ago . for the 2nd time also

Top Bottom