• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Curious. When you're not reloading, do you leave the powder in the measure or dump it back into the powder bottle? Is it ok to leave it in my uniflow measure?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I'm sure this is similar to a recent thread about storing and using dessicant, etc.

MORE THAN LIKELY it's just fine to leave it. unless you have excessive humidity or drastic temperature changes.
    I've left mine sitting in the hopper for a couple months at a time, and seems to work fine. This was for loading 38 spl, the only cartridge I loaded at the time.

HOWEVER-- if I were switching between a bunch of different calibers and a bunch of different powders, I would clean that crap up every time!!!! If not, I'm sure I'd end up dumping some pistol powder in rifle cartridge, or vice versa, or get powders mixed, etc.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    ^ this^
    If I'm only loading one caliber and I have my brass out in a loading tray I might leave it in the uniflo for a little while.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I will leave it if planning on loading the next day otherwise dump it back into the bottle and close her tight.

I am anal and don't want to discolor the powder hopper.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    If you leave it in the hopper, make sure it's not exposed to much sunlight.

Me, I put it back in the bottle after every session, takes a couple of minutes to do.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The powder goes right back in the bottle every time...no exceptions.
    Don't want to get confused about exactly what kind of powder is in the measure...can you say "Kaboom?"
    Also, powder tends to absorb moisture all too easily, which can cause inconsistent burn rate at the least and failure to fire at the worst.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Ok. Thanks.

I wish these standard uniflo's had a drain plug to empty them so I didn't have to remove it from the turret to dump it. I guess I could always empty it 4gr. at a time. :n00b:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Some powders have a chemical composition that attacks and stains the plastic powder hopper. I am guilty of not caring. My progressive 12 gauge shotshell press simply wore a pillowcase over the top when I was done. THe powder bottles were cheap and no effort to replace. I only loaded with one powder, and always the same amount in the same kind of hull, etc. It did not set long, as I was shooting at least 8 and more often more than 12 boxes per week. Other presses, I empty the powder measure unless I am going to reload the very next day.

Last edited:

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    For those of you who load multiple calibers, do you use the same powder measure for each or do you duplicate?

I have seen, for example, Lee Loadmaster owners who store have their disks fully ready to go including separate powder measures. Is there any advantage to this other than not having to unscrew and move it between charging dies?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    For those of you who load multiple calibers, do you use the same powder measure for each or do you duplicate?

I have seen, for example, Lee Loadmaster owners who store have their disks fully ready to go including separate powder measures. Is there any advantage to this other than not having to unscrew and move it between charging dies?

My 550 Dillon has a preset powder measure on each tool head for my 4 popular calibers. The lesser volume calibers shared a powder measure that has to be set up each time.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I put a small piece of masting tape over the tiny hole in the top piece for the hopper (Dillon) and put a black bag over the whole shebang and call it good.

When you open stuff up to return powder to the original containers you are exposing it to whatever moisture is in the air and also bringing fresh air into the portion of the container that is not filled with powder. I suspect it would take several days or maybe even a couple or four weeks of leaving the powder in the loader to give you as much moisture contamination. Again, this is with Dillon stuff & the air hole taped & the thing bagged.

I'm big on labeling the hopper (masting tape) with whatever pedigree of powder I have in it, and ,yea, the hopper gets powder colored over time.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I put a small piece of masting tape over the tiny hole in the top piece for the hopper (Dillon) and put a black bag over the whole shebang and call it good.
    I'm big on labeling the hopper (masting tape) with whatever pedigree of powder I have in it, and ,yea, the hopper gets powder colored over time.

That is a great idea

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    The powder goes right back in the bottle every time...no exceptions.
    Don't want to get confused about exactly what kind of powder is in the measure...can you say "Kaboom?"
    Also, powder tends to absorb moisture all too easily, which can cause inconsistent burn rate at the least and failure to fire at the worst.

I'm the same way. It gets dumped every time no matter what. I only have one powder measure and I reload multiple calibers so there's no sense in leaving it in. I also like to use an air duster to clean out the powder measure to avoid cross-contamination issues. A small air compressor under my bench is in my near future.

For those worried about moisture in the powder containers, would placing a desiccant pack in the jug be of any benefit?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I'm the same way. It gets dumped every time no matter what. I only have one powder measure and I reload multiple calibers so there's no sense in leaving it in. I also like to use an air duster to clean out the powder measure to avoid cross-contamination issues. A small air compressor under my bench is in my near future.

For those worried about moisture in the powder containers, would placing a desiccant pack in the jug be of any benefit?

Don't worry about it. Unless you are getting condensation and liquid water in the powder, humidity differences mean absolutely zero to single or double based powder. It's only a real concern with black powder and it's modern alternatives.

I keep powder in the hoppers for dedicated calibers. My two RCBS Chargemasters get emptied every time to prevent staining of the hopper.

Biscuit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    La Porte
    I Always put it back in the bottle not because I am worried about moisture or explosions. It revolves around keeping my area organization. If I don't put it away it will never get put away. I try to load 200 - 300 rounds at a time when I load.
    Theres my 2cents

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I would be curious to learn what modern double-based powders you guys have found to be hydroscopic. Maybe you are loading blackpowder? Which is indeed, very hydroscopic.

There are many reasons to empty the hopper, but moisture absorption should not be among those reasons.

After reading Leo's post, I got my MEC Grabber going again tonight after a 10 year hiatus. The IMR 700 has been sitting in the powder hopper all that time.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Ok. Thanks.

I wish these standard uniflo's had a drain plug to empty them so I didn't have to remove it from the turret to dump it. I guess I could always empty it 4gr. at a time. :n00b:

I guess I could see how this might be a concern for those who load many of the exact same recipe, over and over, but what I've always done with the Uniflow is just open it up to drop a lot of powder at a time...20-30 throws (or less) is all it takes to empty.

Other than on the LCT, I am loading for different cartridges all the time, so rarely use the same charge weight two sessions in a row.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I have a Lyman 55 powder throw. I don't know exactly what plastic they use to make it, but it is attacked by Titegroup. Even leaving the clingy residues and loose kernels will attack the plastic.

I usually dump the hopper back in the bottle for overnight storage, but I don't take the throw apart and clean it. I did this once with Titegroup and the inside of my hopper now has a stippled appearance.

Now, every time I finish with Titegroup I clean the inside of the hopper with a used softener sheet.

Top Bottom