• ...and so much more!
  • t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    I tried very hard to get my RCBS Uniflow powder measure to throw consistent charges of stick powder like RL-19 (338wm) H-1000 (7mmSTW) and IMR-4831 (300wsm) and never got it to work, it did throw HG powdrs very well. Went to a PACT electronic dispenser and scale and throw all charges light and trickle using my RCBS 10-10 BB scale. Works as fast and is more accurate than anything else I could afford.
    My RCBS Uniflow, Hornady LnL and Lee Classic drum powder dispensers work very well with HP-38, Unique, IMR/SR-4756. Never tried my Lee drum with stick powder as I only intended it for use reloading HG rounds.

If you want to give the Auto Drum a try with stick powder, FortuneCookie45LC got his to work pretty well...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQazETXEOM4

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Formy rifle hunting, target & plinking loads my RCBS unflow measurer with the largee cylinder handle IMR 4064,
    IMR 4350, IMR 7828, VV N-160, VV N-560 well.
    Sometimes it cuts a few sticks of powder but the weight is correct.

I don't use the small cyliders for rifle loads except unique cast bullet loads & pistol loads.

Uniflow is easy to use with MTM trays for quick charging a lot of cases. I have about 7 trays hold 50 rifle ir pistol cases.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    OP you already have a Dillon, it will work just fine loading rifle cartridges as it does with pistol cartridges. Every small to medium size commercial reloading company runs Dillon 1050 machines with the same powder measure on top of it.
    If you measure has a small variance you will never see it with your shooting. Like I posted above, get the conversions you need and start loading.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I use an ancient Redding (bigger bore cylinder) held together with electrical tape for stick powders and a narrow RCBS (only repaired once) with smaller charges. But hey, I've used single stage presses since buying my first one for $15 in 1976 (I'm not progressive).

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I use an ancient Redding (bigger bore cylinder) held together with electrical tape for stick powders and a narrow RCBS (only repaired once) with smaller charges. But hey, I've used single stage presses since buying my first one for $15 in 1976 (I'm not progressive).

I've read a lot of your posts, I'm not so sure...
    :dunno:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Ain’t nobody got time for measuring powder. I just eyeball it. Haven’t had any problems that I know of yet.

8AMKFdK.jpg

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Ok now for a serious note lots of equipment will get the job done but make sure you know how to use them properly. A friend of mine had his little digital Hornady Scale set on a different setting than grains. He double charged the 38 special round and blew up his gun. All the parts landed at his feet. He didn’t have one single injury. His guardian angel was protecting him that day.

Here is the revolver he blew up. Look at the flattened rounds left in the cylinder.

f5Os4s8.jpg

This is what left of the case.

JGtYfBv.jpg

The most important thing is be safe and then be safe some more.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If you have a old fashioned scale powder measure and test the different digital measures out thats a good way to find out if it's on or not. Always keep a scale measure around they dont require batteries or electricity to operate. That said i do love a digital it is much faster. It just doesn't hurt to make sure they are on though.

clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    Another verification is to regularly check your scale, electronic or balance, with calibrated gage weights. My scales came with gage weights appropriate to typical grain weights for reloading. Also bought a neat old set in classic wood box on eBay.
    Apologies if someone already suggested this. I did not take time to read every post.

Top Bottom