• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Is there an age or time period after which I cannot edit my own posts?

I pulled up an older thread and noticed there was no "edit" button on my posts.

Yes. After a certain number of days you can no longer edit a post. I'm not sure what the exact time frame is, but I believe it's at least a couple weeks.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Hmm. Didn't know about this limitation. Seems like there'd be a lot of situations where you might want to go back and add a URL, post an update, etc.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Hmm. Didn't know about this limitation. Seems like there'd be a lot of situations where you might want to go back and add a URL, post an update, etc.

Not a big problem. You can just add a new post to the thread and indicate that it is an update.

As with many rules on INGO, this one was a reaction to previous abuses. A couple of people that got upset at INGO and decided to make a dramatic exit went back and replaced all of the previous posts with a period, losing context to many threads and in some cases losing valuable/useful info. I commonly edit my own posts, but usually it is within a few minutes after posting when I think of a better way to say something or spot an error. Having a week or so to edit posts will cover the vast majority of reasonable needs.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Didn't ever use to be a term/time limit on post editing.

But there was a big blow up over a member who was squabbling with the mods at the time - and he started going back through ALL his posts and editing them out completely.

Then the time/term limit was instilled to keep folks from doing that.

-J-

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Some may consider it ridiculous, but it was necessary at the time and may be again, in the future. We had a situation where a member got upset and began removing the content of all his posts. It became problematic, so a stopgap was put in place and because it resolved the matter, it became permanent.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Didn't ever use to be a term/time limit on post editing.

But there was a big blow up over a member who was squabbling with the mods at the time - and he started going back through ALL his posts and editing them out completely.

Then the time/term limit was instilled to keep folks from doing that.

-J-

I didn't see this prior to posting.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Some may consider it ridiculous, but it was necessary at the time and may be again, in the future. We had a situation where a member got upset and began removing the content of all his posts. It became problematic, so a stopgap was put in place and because it resolved the matter, it became permanent.

I ran into said 'lil feller at the USDS anniversary / birthday party a few months ago.

I almost made a post about having a "sighting" - until I realized that most of today's main INGO posters wouldn't have a clue who I was talking about! LOL

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It was more than one person and some of the "dramatic exits" were quite damaging to the site, sometimes in subtle ways.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    See my post about understanding giving up rights to the content. I said why wouldnt they want to? Not why can they. I'm asking about the desire, not the ability.

You didn't just give up your right to content, you gave up ownership. INGO is one big conversation with several conversations going on within. When you post something it is who you are and what you think, believe at that moment. It allows others to read your past post to try to get to know you. If your opinion has changed then use the opportunity to post a reply that you have reconsidered your opinion or what ever reason it is that you want to change a post.

I'm sure that if I went back and read all of my past post I would have a lot of updates to do and several apologies as well.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    So, if I decide I no longer want my posts up on INGO, why wouldn't INGO want to let me take them down?

That is a fair question. If your content would place you in jeopardy of losing a job or making it impossible for you to gain employment; places you is some form of legal jeopardy; or your wife may ding out you bought a new rifle, we just may remove the content. However, please know that all context is subject to subpoena and even the unedited content can be seen.

The he reason we would not want to remove content is because it would probably make it difficult for readers to follow a thread, especially if it's the first post. Besides, if the post is edited, we may have to then edit other posts that have quotes you. Who wants to go through all of that? In the past, we have deleted entire threads, but the membership was no pleased with that, so we've tried to cease that practice.

Top Bottom