• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scruffles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    North East IN
    Last time I was at the range, I looked at one of the spent casings and there was a noticeable crack from the base of the neck down to about half of the case. The ammo I was using was surplus from Dunhams. Does anyone know if this is a ammo problem or a rifle problem? Thanks!

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    first problem is buying ammo from dunhams.

put some some quality rounds thru it and see if anything happens. Its more than likely the ammo you're using, but without quality newly manuf 54r its hard to tell

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Surplus 7.62x54R is known for that. The closer to the case mouth, the less you need to worry about it.
    When you start finding cases split or cracked closer to the base of the round than the neck, stop using the rifle until you have it checked out by a competent gunsmith.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Yep, a common problem with steel case surplus. When the cases were formed, the commies didn't bother to anneal the case necks to relieve the stresses from the working of the metal. So then the ammo sits for who knows how many years, and then when the ammo is used, the stress causes a crack to form. I've even seen some commercial steel cased ammo that was less than 5 years old do this.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Last time I was at the range, I looked at one of the spent casings and there was a noticeable crack from the base of the neck down to about half of the case. The ammo I was using was surplus from Dunhams. Does anyone know if this is a ammo problem or a rifle problem? Thanks!

My buddy and I had some similar problems with surplus rounds. The guy sitting next to our shooting bench brought the case over and said it was a head spacing issue but after further INGO review it was determined to be a surplus ammo issue. Here's the link to that thread:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/271682-7-62x54r-issues-my-mosin.html

Top Bottom