• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    A friend of mine ordered a holster from them. It took almost two months for them to finally get it. And he went through alot of battling with them on the phone, through emailing, and even showing up at the shop a couple times before they stopped running him through hoops. And when he finally got the holster it was junk.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    5:30-6:00 ish on Friday, huh?

How come you can't pick a more convenient time for ME? haha!

I'd love to shoot...and I'd love to try the SigP250. But, fortunately or unfortunately, I'll be spending my evenings packing and moving stuff ahead of my impending nuptuals.

Oh the sacrifices we make...

-J-

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Another one to which I'll add my own meager experience...

I've been to PopGuns three times. First time, I bought a Bushmaster. Second time, nada. Last time, I bought some sundry stuff ~$100.

I've had the same experience some of you described. They tend to ignore you - zero acknowledgment - if they are already dealing with other customers. Once it was "my turn," I was king. Whatever I needed, etc. That was primarily Terry. Terry is a good sport.

There's another fellow... he's waited on me before when forced, late forties, early fifties. Couldn't run a 30 minute mile if his life depended on it. Poor attitude. Poor, poor sense of humor. Gave me the willies when he talked to me and I'm 6'3", 230#. I'm thinking that may be the "break it in half" guy.

Terry = good guy. Other guy = :dunno:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Another one to which I'll add my own meager experience...

I've been to PopGuns three times. First time, I bought a Bushmaster. Second time, nada. Last time, I bought some sundry stuff ~$100.

I've had the same experience some of you described. They tend to ignore you - zero acknowledgment - if they are already dealing with other customers. Once it was "my turn," I was king. Whatever I needed, etc. That was primarily Terry. Terry is a good sport.

There's another fellow... he's waited on me before when forced, late forties, early fifties. Couldn't run a 30 minute mile if his life depended on it. Poor attitude. Poor, poor sense of humor. Gave me the willies when he talked to me and I'm 6'3", 230#. I'm thinking that may be the "break it in half" guy.

Terry = good guy. Other guy = :dunno:
    Again guys, if you feel you are being ignored you need to speak up. The owners are in business to make money and don't want to lose sales from customers walking out. I also noticed some people behind the counter get focused on who they are serving and you are invisible to them. I've had that happen at many restaurants; just acknowledge I am there and you will be with me shortly, thats all I ask of them. It's called customer service and not everyone is as good at it as we'd like them to be.

So far I like going to Pops and the people seem friendly and helpful. I haven't made a major purchase yet with the exception of my day membership, but so far I have no complaints. I haven't been to Dons, but from what I've read about it on this site Pops is paradise.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    i have not been but the fact is you should not have to speak up to get good service. its there job!!!!!!

I agree in a perfect world you would walk into a gun shop or a restaurant and everyone will be attentive to your needs but we all know that is not the real world. When we get good service in a restaurant we tend to let them know in the way of your tip. We don’t tip the guy behind the counter at the gun shop but we do help him stay employed by being a customer and hopefully come back again and again.

Unfortunately there are not gun shops/ranges on every corner like drug stores and restaurants. I try to support my local gun shop by buying ammo, holsters, targets, etc. there when I can purchase them for less money elsewhere. In turn I expect to be treated with respect and in an expedient manner when I am in the store. If people are backed up then need to call someone out of the office to take up the slack.

So far I have had decent service there and bought a day range membership. If they are busy with another customer I don’t expect them to jump up and take immediate care of me but I do expect them to put their hamburger down when I come in and they are sitting at the counter at 3:30 eating. If they don’t want to be bothered go in the back room and eat; being behind the counter is a sign to me that they are working. I have run into this situation twice and both times the person stopped eating and waited on me so I have no complaints. Again if you are not getting good service speak up in a nice way. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Such is life.

JBLee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Northside Indy Suburbs
    Been to Pop's several times to shoot, never bought anything due to the surly service. They are the perfect example of a "Sit-in-the-corner-and-glare-at-the-customer" type gunshop you read about in the gun related publications. It does point out how badly represented we are in Indy when that kind of attitude serves well enough to keep them in business. That is precisely why I drive the extra distance to shop at Bradis. I really don't like to shoot at an indoor range anyway...I prefer to be out in Mother Nature's best...and worst. I'd rather be out shooting in the snow than scowled at or ignored. If I never go back to Pop Guns it won't be a big deal, for them or for me.

Last edited:

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Wow, just goes to show you how different people's experiences can be. My experience with Pop's is 180 degrees from what many here have experienced. Ditto though on the observation that you are not acknowledged until it's your turn. One time, after a long discussion with an employee who couldn't find out how to order what I wanted, he said, "Real sorry, here's a 1/2 hour token for the range for your trouble." Not a big deal, but things like that make me drive across town to do business with them.

scor5150pio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have not set foot in in Popguns in years and will not ever again. They seem to act like they have no time for anyone other that Law Enforcement. I am LE but they'd not know that since they wouldn't speak and I wasn't looking for LE discount. The ONE AND ONLY time I used their range there was some kid in there popping off rounds with his buddies. I had a loaded weapon pointed at me more times that day than in my entire career! I finally told him that if I saw his muzzle again I'd assume he was trying to kill me and respond accordingly. He had no clue what I was even talking about. When I brought it to the clerks attention he told me that the other guy paid for his range time too and I should leave him alone. I will never be back there. I buy most of my personal stuff from Bradis. They always have time for me.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    The ONE AND ONLY time I used their range there was some kid in there popping off rounds with his buddies. I had a loaded weapon pointed at me more times that day than in my entire career! I finally told him that if I saw his muzzle again I'd assume he was trying to kill me and respond accordingly. He had no clue what I was even talking about. When I brought it to the clerks attention he told me that the other guy paid for his range time too and I should leave him alone. quote]
    The above is typical of what I have found at any of the indoor ranges I've shot in. You get these young people come in who think they are auditioning for a Rambo movie and blast away with all that big stuff to impress some stranger next to them that couldn’t care less. They must be rich because it cost lots of $$$ to be shooting .45, .44, .357 mag and 9mm stuff by the hundreds every time you go to a range. Personally I am trying to trade some of my larger guns over to .22 for target shooting because of the expense of ammo today.

Most times I come in to Pops there are one or two ranges down for whatever reason which I really don’t understand as this is not some high tech operation they are running. Waiting for a range discourages people from coming back which eventually results in lost retail business. I used to shoot at a range in Elkhart that was called Shooter's and today is owned by Midwest and is called Midwest Gun and Range. When I went in the mid to late 90’s it was clean and well patrolled by management. If you acted like a cowboy you went out the door in a hurry. From looking at their web site they have 10 public and 5 VIP ranges and a beautiful store.

There is not a big choice of indoor places to shoot in Indy which is surprising for this size city and the liberal gun laws in the State of Indiana. Someone is missing the boat by not offering the gun enthusiasts a nice place to shoot all year long. Like I said in my previous post I have not had a problem with service at Pops but I read all the time about people who say they would never come back. You spoke up and it didn’t seem to get you anyplace. Did you ask to speak to the owner? That is what I would have done as it is money out of his pocket if customers are dissatisfied. You have nothing to lose by speaking up all the way to the top. :twocents:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Well..... I had one good experience at Pop's recently with a guy named Harry. But on Tuesday the same guy's attitude and B.S. opinion about a gun that I myself was familiar with, ran me out of the store over to KS&E where I bought TWO guns!!!! :rockwoot:

Guess he didn't like me pointing out that their price on this gun was $40 above KS&E's.:dunno:
    :cheers:

Top Bottom