Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    When I began carrying 10 or so years back, I just carried the pistol and a 15 round magazine.

Then I got another magazine, and began carrying a spare. The argument that I may need to clear a malf seemed valid, and more ammo seemed good.

I got a third magazine and began carrying it as well. I had 16 in the gun and 30 on my side, and 46 rounds felt pretty dang good.

I switched to a 1911. I first carried one spare mag because I had it laying around, and then I found an inexpensive Rogers left-handed dual mag pouch. No single mag pouches, so I carried two reloads.

Those two reloads began to get in the way, so I cut back down to one and put one magazine (Wilson #47) back in its package as a spare.

So now I have a dual mag pouch of high quality that I never use and am looking for an inexpensive single mag belt pouch for the one reload I carry. So far no luck; everyone seems to make more dual pouches than single.

There are times when I carry a five shot snub with no reload, or one reload, depending on how deep I have to conceal it.

As well, there are times when I carry a spare gun and no reload for either.

Just depends on how I'm dressed and how much trouble I feel like going to.

Josh <><

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Carried for 3+ years

I have 6 or 8 ready to go mags in my truck but only carry the one in my gun. That is unless I get a bad feeling or I am obviously going to be in uncomfortable surroundings. I know, more is always better but I'm a cofident shooter and I feel I can hold my own until the Good Guys arrive.

I take that back, I do have a Galco shoulder rig that holds 2 mags. I usually dont start using that until it gets cooler out. And last time I checked it is getting pretty cool. Time to dust er' off.

right winger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hymera
    # of magazines -vs- years you've been carrying

I carry 2 extra Mags and have done so for about 15 years. Several reason why
    I have been carrying for 10 plus years. I am currently waitng on my life time LTCH permit. Old one expired. I carry two magazines for several different reasons. :twocents:

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I've been carrying pretty much constantly since 1988 and I usually carry one extra mag for my G19.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    I've been carrying since the mid 1970's. Started carrying the extra mags when I got my best shoulder rig ever that gave me space for them and helped balance the weight of the gun. Then when I was LEO I got used to having them and they stay with me now just cause they kind of feel like old friends.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Unless you have a low-cap semiautomatic (read: 1911, P225) or a revolver, the money spent on carrying extra mags would be better invested in a nice comfortable pair of sneakers and some jogging now and then.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I’ve heard it said that “you probably won’t need a gun but if you do, you will need it desperately”. I think the same holds true for extra ammo. 28 yrs. 1 spare mag/speedloader (most of the time).

Bucky

Last edited:

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    as small as i am and as large as my cc is i choose not to carry a spare. no room really, i tried. since i am usually lugging around 3 kids i always need a hip to throw one on

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    as small as i am and as large as my cc is i choose not to carry a spare. no room really, i tried. since i am usually lugging around 3 kids i always need a hip to throw one on

Hey I hear you on the three kids! I have two small ones and two older ones all of which are little monkey's and I'm their jungle gym. You need a holster like mine that has a built in mag pouch! :D It does feel a bit akward hip carrying a kid on each side whilst CCing though, I will give you that...:n00b:

munky_3434

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Brazil, IN
    tried one with a built in pouch, just was'nt comfortable.at one time i had like 9 or 10 different holsters laying around. i need to just buy some weight gainer, and problem solved. BEEFCAKE!!!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    tried one with a built in pouch, just was'nt comfortable.

That because you find mag pouches on fabric holsters with 30 cent chinese belt clips (ala Uncle Mikes). I am certainly not above a cheap holster, we all start somewhere. My point is that you don't find a good quality holster with a mag pouch. Maybe there's a reason. I dunno. Some guys like Uncle Mikes, and its probably because they haven't used a better one, and don't know what they are missing. Until you have the disposable income to get a good EDC holster, ignorance is bliss.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I have no drawing issues with my Mike's knock off. It functions well and retains great. There aren't many holsters made for a Baby Eagle and this one is no exception. Mine was made for the S&W Sigma but fits perfectly for my BDE. No I don't have the blessing of a "Great" holster, but mine give me no issues. I have no draw issues as I practice often.

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    Just carry the pistol. If I need a spare mag the situation has already dropped off into something that 2 extra mags probally wont help with. Besides a pistol is just used to fight your way to a rifle.

On the subject of mag malfunctions. Proper cleaning and basic maintenance will prevent 99.9% of those. Outside of the range I have never had a mag malfunction. EVER.

Exactly how may times have you had to use your weapon ( fire at a target / threat ) outside of the range... if it happens at the range you MUST expect it to happen in the world, and be prepaired if it does.:twocents:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    mconley,

I have spent the greater part of my adult life in some of the worst vacation spots "our uncle " can find on a map. I would venture to say I have shot more than my fair share off of the range. It has been my experience that rifle/ carbine trumps pistol almost any day.

When it happens at the range with me it is intended to. I keep several magazines of questionable manufacture on hand for range days. For the intended purpose that they jam, misfeed, stovepipe, whatever the malfunction. For training purposes. Before I carry any mag it is put though 200 plus rounds with NO incidents at all. My mags are emptied every week and both rounds and mags are cleaned and inspected.

Top Bottom