• ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    They don't want the community to feel they are in danger.

I live in Indianapolis. These new guidelines make me feel unsafe.

Paradox maybe?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    They don't want the community to feel they are in danger.

I live in Indianapolis. These new guidelines make me feel unsafe.

Paradox maybe?
    You are more in danger from the actions of the lawless citizens of Indy than you are from the actions of IMPD officers. But it is cool to hate on the police and infer that they are the problem. Funny how a department of 1500 officers needs more reform than a citizen population of ~1,000,000.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    You are more in danger from the actions of the lawless citizens of Indy than you are from the actions of IMPD officers. But it is cool to hate on the police and infer that they are the problem. Funny how a department of 1500 officers needs more reform than a citizen population of ~1,000,000.
    Either I didn't understand you or you didn't understand me. Could be both.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    Show me what IMPD was specifically doing wrong, and THEN make changes. Seems like change for the sake of change, based on the actions and practices of different departments. I can't help but think maybe Indy should think of ways to prevent the overwhelming violence in the city. Put focus on the criminals, and stop trying to fix things that aren't broken. They are going to find that no one is willing to police their city.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    "Now, the Greater Indianapolis Progress Committee is in receipt of a police reform report that draws on national best practices that may be applicable here.

The study, “Police Reform: Equal Treatment of Black Americans,” is the result of research conducted by GIPC’s Structural Reform Team that included input from stakeholders, legal scholars and community and corporate leaders."

Sooooo, just so I'm understanding correctly.... The Greater Indianapolis Progress Committee's Structural Reform Team did a study then presented it to the The Greater Indianapolis Progress Committee (pretty much themselves). No carefully selected wording on this one I see.

What is the likelihood that a Structural Reform Team would produce a study which did not suggest structural reform? Maybe the The Greater Indianapolis Progress Committee could use a team which objectively looks at reality and produces a report. I checked out the GIPC's website, didn't see anyone on the list of the Executive Committee or Board of Directors who appear to have any law enforcement experience. I wonder if any of them have bothered to ride with IMPD officers to get a first hand look at reality rather than sit back and make judgements from their ivory towers?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I wonder how many of them live within Marion County? I struggle to award automatic legitimacy to a Progress Committee which may be made up of people who would never step foot inside of some of the cities worst areas without significant protection around them. I'm absolutely not attacking anyone on the board, I don't want to go into those areas either but at the same time I cannot make truly informed recommendations when I'm not truly informed.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hammer and Nigel discussing this now with City Councilman...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This is a pack of horseshit. When I was a teenager, IPD was a virtual case study of everything a PD should NOT be. A lot of hard work and intelligent thought, and a lot of new hires including a couple of individuals participating in this discussion added up to a truly exemplary department from which these dumbasses should be taking notes, not throwing bricks.

IMPD as it now stands is an excellent department in which I, for one, have confidence based on years of excellent performance. I understand that arresting criminals is no longer considered politically correct, but then again, little that is deemed politically correct makes a shred of sense and generally doesn't work.

That said, I will offer a tip of the hat to IMPD and a swift kick in the ass to the critics.

Top Bottom