• ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Everybody does a thankless job.

I'd say they get thanked for doing their job far more than the rest of us. All I get is a paycheck.
    True, but it would be nice for a change that after I arrest boyfriend for beating the bejesus out of girlfriend, that when we go to court, she would thank me for stopping the violence rather than her lying about me to get boyfriend out of jail :n00b:.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    True, but it would be nice for a change that after I arrest boyfriend for beating the bejesus out of girlfriend, that when we go to court, she would thank me for stopping the violence rather than her lying about me to get boyfriend out of jail :n00b:.

I won't deny that it's a crappy job.

Apparently it's worth it in some way, because lots of people do it.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You should have rolled down your window and politely called him out.

"Excuse me sir, you know this is a school zone, right?"

Frankly, after all the You-Tube videos of out of control officers and a report from a very credible source of being spat upon (possibly unintentionally, while yelling) by an angry officer there is no way I would "call out" or confront an officer unless I am in a court room where the odds or at least close to even.

If he goes off on the street, it will be his word against mine and all responding officers, the prosecutor, and the judge are going to assume he is telling the absolute truth.

Maybe there is a very small percentage of those kind of officers out there, but I'm not going to take a chance on finding one. I still try to avoid interacting with police officers except in purely social situations.

Doug

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    This officer could have been responding to a run. Police officers receive training that makes them better drivers than your average citizen. When I see an officer going a little faster than me I smile and wave. I am thankful for the thankless job they do.

Ahhh...ironic paradox...you just thanked them, so the job is no longer thankless:n00b:

If it's a run that requires breaking traffic laws, lights, at least, should be on. He may have been about to collar a shoplifter at the Dollar General, but he could have endangered school children....THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!:cool:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Ahhh...ironic paradox...you just thanked them, so the job is no longer thankless:n00b:

If it's a run that requires breaking traffic laws, lights, at least, should be on. He may have been about to collar a shoplifter at the Dollar General, but he could have endangered school children....THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!:cool:

I'm thankful for being thanked for a thankless job. How about that one?!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    This officer could have been responding to a run. Police officers receive training that makes them better drivers than your average citizen. When I see an officer going a little faster than me I smile and wave. I am thankful for the thankless job they do.

Well there ya go, training puts a magical cloak around a police car that keeps kids from darting off the sidewalk, or other drivers out of it's path! I never knew that! Where might I get this training you speak of?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I won't deny that it's a crappy job.

Apparently it's worth it in some way, because lots of people do it.
    Yeah, there is a good draw to this profession. The good outweighs the bad for most of us. It is one of the few professions that define the professional. It becomes part of our personality and shapes our relationships to the people around us. Being a LEO is who I am, and is as much a part of me as my ethnic heritage and I have the privilege to get paid to do it.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, there is a good draw to this profession. The good outweighs the bad for most of us. It is one of the few professions that define the professional. It becomes part of our personality and shapes our relationships to the people around us. Being a LEO is who I am, and is as much a part of me as my ethnic heritage and I have the privilege to get paid to do it.

Maybe that is why the unprofessional actions of a few, screaming, cursing, threatening "it wouldn't bother me a bit to shoot you ten times," etc, stand out so much.

Its the black sheep that stands out and is remembered when all the others are white.

(There is no racial or sheepish intent in that statement.)

Doug

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

I'm not convinced that this is a good thing. I wonder how many of the negative issues with LEO stem from this. I of course don't direct this towards you, personally. But I can see how that mindset could potentially lead to elitist attitudes and power trips in some.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I'm not convinced that this is a good thing. I wonder how many of the negative issues with LEO stem from this. I of course don't direct this towards you, personally. But I can see how that mindset could potentially lead to elitist attitudes and power trips in some.
    Marines are proud to be Marines.
    Firemen are proud to be Firemen.
    Masons are proud to be Masons.
    Jews are proud to be Jews.
    The list of people who are proud of their particular organization/religion/ethnic group/profession/etc is endless.
    It doesn't make them elitist.
    It makes them part of a group that instills pride in it's members. :D

Top Bottom